New Reply
Subscribe
DaMutt
1st July 2013
Old 1st July 2013
Gear interested

This site is awesome...

Used to frequent other music message boards that have gone to gossip-

can't believe a real site dedicated to music and helping each other improve still exists.

That said

I have a question

how have you been able to make money off of music?

because to be honest getting paid is what separates this as a job/dream from a hobby

I have my own plan for how I think it'll work but I don't want to start off with that- most of you seem to know what you are talking about and seem to know more than me in general so it'd be awesome to get some input from others
1st July 2013
Old 1st July 2013
Gear addict

Send a message via Skype™ to sbechristos
Its all about meeting the right people at the right time. Just with the help of the internet youll probably never make a business out of your hobby. Internet promotion + marketing helps tho.

It's also important to invest in you and your business. I know plenty of ppl claiming they've done everything possible but still no clients listed. The truth is, these dudes signed up a facebook page and a free soundclick account waiting for the bomb to explode.. silly.

Best advice, meet some music related people (producers, writers, managers, a&r) in your location or nearby. Be present on music events.
1st July 2013
Old 1st July 2013
Banned

You found a message board that has not gone to gossip?
WHERE?

I want in on some of that action. Holla at me. I will be in the thread where we are trying to figure out who is ghost producing for Dre.
DaMutt
1st July 2013
Old 1st July 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbechristos View Post
Its all about meeting the right people at the right time. Just with the help of the internet youll probably never make a business out of your hobby. Internet promotion + marketing helps tho.

It's also important to invest in you and your business. I know plenty of ppl claiming they've done everything possible but still no clients listed. The truth is, these dudes signed up a facebook page and a free soundclick account waiting for the bomb to explode.. silly.

Best advice, meet some music related people (producers, writers, managers, a&r) in your location or nearby. Be present on music events.
along the lines of what I was thinking

thanks for the input
1st July 2013
Old 1st July 2013
Lives for gear

I make money by selling my compositions. Going well so far, not working and getting by.
1st July 2013
Old 1st July 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrides View Post
You found a message board that has not gone to gossip?
WHERE?

I want in on some of that action. Holla at me. I will be in the thread where we are trying to figure out who is ghost producing for Dre.
lol, im going to have to step up and say that is me!! on some real shit i wish i could reach at some of the stuff dre is capable of producing.
1st July 2013
Old 1st July 2013
Lives for gear

Like any business, there are plenty of ways to work. You can perform to make money, you can sell music to fellow musicians (professional or not), you can make songs for television/movies/commercials, you can try to start a group and get famous, etc, etc.

Other people diversify themselves and move into other areas like graphic design, video editing, management, etc.

I guess my point is to figure out where you want to go ideally and put out a plan to get there. Realize you may not be able to just do one thing to get there so if you are not working a 9-5, find ways to monetize any skill that is valuable. I know some people who really didn't have to put in a lot of work to become famous and others who hustle all day every day just to get by without getting caught up in a 9-5 situation and everywhere in between. Not hating on a 9-5 by any means either, I am just speaking on career musicians or people doing similar in the realm of music/hip hop/rap.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search