questions about rap flow.
New Reply
Subscribe
mylesp
20th May 2013
Old 20th May 2013
Lives for gear

questions about rap flow.

what are things to do when recording that improves rap flow? i dont have any examples, but im just looking for general tips. one thing i read was to try opening my mouth wider so the words are said fuller. havent tried it yet.so do you guys have any tips?

also i had this theory, but correct me if im wrong. i was thinking that since i haven't made too many songs (about 8-12) that if i just continue writing and recording, time and time again, that i'll get better? like the saying goes " repetition is the mother of learning" lol. would this be true for rap flow? what do you think?
20th May 2013
Old 20th May 2013
Lives for gear

Right, that's why nobody ever shows improvement from their first rap attempt to the peak of their career...
20th May 2013
Old 20th May 2013
Gear maniac

Send a message via Skype™ to mequaz
Cadence. Practice the cadence your comfortable in then try a new one. Start slow. No need to try to be twister. Start with small phrases and build up into the complex flows. Like anything it take practice, no getting around it. Pay attention to how you breathe. Thats a big thing in rap, is your breathing. See if you cant even spit the verse of some of your favorite MC's next time you hear a song you like on the radio or something. NO flow is completely new. SO dont be afraid to learn from whats been done, and add your own touch to it. (thats where the term musical influences come from). Yes some are born wit it, others have to work harder at it. Dont believe that foolishness about your either born with it or not. Thats closed minded thinking.
DAH
20th May 2013
Old 20th May 2013
DAH
Lives for gear

Send a message via ICQ to DAH Send a message via Skype™ to DAH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miiika View Post
Whaaat? Are you questioning the will of the big old beared Girl in the sky?
If she wants him to be an exotic dancer instead of a rapper, who are you to say otherwise? You're gonna bring Her wrath down on you!
WDF are you? Are you a school kid or a coarse troll or a fool pretnding to be sharp? Or are you isawasquatch\On topic: control your breath and know where to take a breath
20th May 2013
Old 20th May 2013
Gear interested

Of course you will get better with the time. Study other rappers flows and copy structures that you really like using your own lyrics.
20th May 2013
Old 20th May 2013
Gear nut

Send a message via Skype™ to Flip Dreams
Quote:
No. Rap flow is the only thing were your "theory" does not apply.
You get born with it. Or without it. The big bearded Girl in the sky decides that.
So in one word: youwillnevergetbetterfindsomethingelsetodo.
This is pure ignorance. Tell me who's born to speak at all. You learned to speak words through repetition. Getting better at your flow is no different.
20th May 2013
Old 20th May 2013
Lives for gear

Practice.... and when you are done with that, Practice some more. The more you hear how your own voice sounds recorded, the better you will start to become at manipulating how you articulate your words. That's one of the best ways to develop an interesting sounding flow, even if your voice itself sounds very plain.
mylesp
20th May 2013
Old 20th May 2013
Lives for gear

When someone is wasting everyone else's time
20th May 2013
Old 20th May 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Time to grow up, adults are talking.

Back to reality, practice makes perfect. Charlie Parker and John Coltrane weren't awesome at sax because they were born with it...they practiced their ass off. They lived, breathed, ate and shit saxophone. Some would probably say they were obsessed.

There are ultimately two things to do: 1) get instruction from those that know and are able to teach. Try to get in person instruction when at all possible. 2) Practice your ass off. Try to do #1 first, because poor practice makes for a poor performance. As far as practice, put in as much time as you feel is needed to get you where you need to be. If you want to be the best, then practice until you get there. If someone in the middle is fine then do the work to get their...it's up to you, and there really isn't a magic formula to make it happen. Natural talent, for the most part, only gets you so far. Very few in this world are born with gifts allowing them to be virtuoso's with little to no work on their end.
20th May 2013
Old 20th May 2013
Lives for gear

This is one of those things that you can't really think about; it just kinda comes over time. The only way to get a good rap flow is to practice til it sounds dope. To me it's all about the writing. When you're like me and have been rapping forever the flow tends to build around the words. Syllables, pronunciations, and everything that make a flow unique always follow the writing. A good way to practice this is to try spitting a verse on very different type beats, especially tempos. You should naturally have a different flow on a trap beat then a boom bap beat.
20th May 2013
Old 20th May 2013
Gear addict

Something else to add: listen and rap along with artists you wish to emulate in some way. Listen to as much music as possible and play along as much as possible. Sitting down and listening to each part of a song, and getting each little section just perfect can do wonders. It's something a lot of musicians do.
21st May 2013
Old 21st May 2013
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Time, I was just listening to stuff I did back in 09' and was surprised at how much better I've gotten...without even realizing it. Even the big rappers get better over time. Listen to Rick Ross when he did Huslin' and how much better he sounds/flows now
21st May 2013
Old 21st May 2013
Gear nut

Send a message via Skype™ to Flip Dreams
Quote:
Everyone here is trying to learn and get better. Nobody really has time for that.
mylesp
21st May 2013
Old 21st May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cy Young View Post
Time, I was just listening to stuff I did back in 09' and was surprised at how much better I've gotten...without even realizing it. Even the big rappers get better over time. Listen to Rick Ross when he did Huslin' and how much better he sounds/flows now
I have been rapping since 09 as well. I haven't made many songs because I'm more of a producer, but I hear a difference as well. Still need to get better though. I write songs and what not but don't always record. Im Starting to record again so that's why I started this thread. I guess over time I'll be better. Thanks
21st May 2013
Old 21st May 2013
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylesp View Post
what are things to do when recording that improves rap flow? i dont have any examples, but im just looking for general tips. one thing i read was to try opening my mouth wider so the words are said fuller. havent tried it yet.so do you guys have any tips?

also i had this theory, but correct me if im wrong. i was thinking that since i haven't made too many songs (about 8-12) that if i just continue writing and recording, time and time again, that i'll get better? like the saying goes " repetition is the mother of learning" lol. would this be true for rap flow? what do you think?
I think a good thing is performing live whenever you can. Even if it is just in the mirror at first but eventually you need to hear yourself more and others do to to get the proper feedback.

It comes down to what kind of style of flow you want and whether you want a rap voice or just use your talk voice.

Some rappers sound very different when hearing them talk normally vs them rapping. Other rappers sound pretty much like their talking voice but I bet some people kind of made their rap voice their talking voice.

Mic technique though would be a good one to have. Know when to get close, when to back away. Study comedians since they tend to be good at that as well.
21st May 2013
Old 21st May 2013
11B US Army Infantry

Learn the lyrics and practice the flow for your song
Record a rough draft of your vocals for your song. Just the main vocals, nothing crazy. You don't have to record it all in one pass, and you can use a cheap mic for this. You can chillax and record it sitting down, whatever....
.Do a quick mix, throw on a compressor, some eq, little reverb. Mix it down. Put it on your phones memory card. Plug in your headphones, listen to the track alot, flow along with it. Work on your delivery, and think about adlibs that could work,ect..
Basically, know your flow/rhymes very well.

Once you can flow the whole track from memory, its all gravy.
"Funny how you downplay everyone elses success, to relinquish the shame of your own failures." DozerMayne
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search