Logic vs Protools
New Reply
Subscribe
DreDay
8th May 2013
Old 8th May 2013
Gear Head

Logic vs Protools

Im finally able to purchase a DAW for the first time. There are tons of DAW but i dont know what would be best for me, somebody who wants to work in the industry.

I came down to 2 DAW. One is logic pro or Protools. Both seem to be great DAW. But cant come to a decision. What is the best bet for me. Im able to get both but If its not needed then i wont.

Is Protools really the industry standard? Can i surive off of logic pro in the industry or should grab both some i know the ins and outs of both DAW?
8th May 2013
Old 8th May 2013
Gear Head

Do some searches. Plenty of threads on this stuff
8th May 2013
Old 8th May 2013
Lives for gear

Yes Protools is MAJOR industry standard.
If your not major yet (long road ahead) then dont worry about "standards"

Find a DAW thats comfortable to use, because everything can be converted & exported into Protools for use at a major/professional studio.

Logic is a great choice but so is Cubase, Sonar, Studio 1, & Reaper.

Posted via mobile device.

www.i80media.com
I-80 Media Group via YouTube
8th May 2013
Old 8th May 2013
Lives for gear

Consider getting local advice too. Where I come from, using Logic is almost the norm, but I think it's very different in the US.
8th May 2013
Old 8th May 2013
Gear Head

Well i want to be able to record and make beats so i know that plays a part in choosing a DAW. I just dont want to relearn something in the future. I can tell Im going to be putting in man hours into this so. Why not start in the right direction that i want to go.
8th May 2013
Old 8th May 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreDay View Post
Im finally able to purchase a DAW for the first time. There are tons of DAW but i dont know what would be best for me, somebody who wants to work in the industry.

I came down to 2 DAW. One is logic pro or Protools. Both seem to be great DAW. But cant come to a decision. What is the best bet for me. Im able to get both but If its not needed then i wont.

Is Protools really the industry standard? Can i surive off of logic pro in the industry or should grab both some i know the ins and outs of both DAW?
Can you elaborate on exactly what it is you want to achieve with the daw? I had the same dilemma when starting out and I own both now, but only use Logic.
8th May 2013
Old 8th May 2013
Banned

Quote:

Grab both.
8th May 2013
Old 8th May 2013
Gear nut

Honestly to me...pro tools is the easiest to pick up and use
Sent from my SPH-L710
DreDay
8th May 2013
Old 8th May 2013
Gear Head

As i have been reading people like different DAWs for different things making vocals on one and then making beats on another.

Is it worth me dropping this money for both of them? If one DAW should be doing everything i want it to do no matter What Im doing with in the DAW?
8th May 2013
Old 8th May 2013
Gear nut

I have been using Pro Tools for 15 years and if you want a DAW to make music in (Sequence) then get Logic. If your interested in recording,engineering and mixing then get Pro Tools.

Sequencing in Pro Tools sucks and working with audio in Logic sucks.
8th May 2013
Old 8th May 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Logic in my view is a better production tool, PT's strength is in the mixing/editing, and I can tell you editing is just fine in Logic. As far as what's used in a MAJOR studio, first it's easy enough in Logic to export tracks to anything and I bet more than a few places also keep Logic around. My place is an upper mid level studio, I keep PT around for opening up sessions and exporting them into Logic, my main daw is Logic.
8th May 2013
Old 8th May 2013
Gear maniac

Storyville said it best in his Blap On The Radio interview,"Pro Tools is no longer the industry standard. Use what you want."
8th May 2013
Old 8th May 2013

My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via Skype™ to psycho_monkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimethamc View Post
Storyville said it best in his Blap On The Radio interview,"Pro Tools is no longer the industry standard. Use what you want."
Pro tools has never been the industry standard for composition/"beat making".

PT is still very much the industry standard for tracking and mixing.

At the high end at least.

I respect Storyville's opinion, but it's just not the case in commercial studios - in the UK/Australia/Europe at least.

Jack Robert Hardman (New EP now on sale), Morgan Joanel, and High-Tails.

If I've helped you out, please consider supporting these artists as a favour to me!

Major label credits include Pharrell/Alicia Keys, Ricky Martin (Aus #3), John Legend, Samantha Jade, Di-Rect (Dutch #1), etc
8th May 2013
Old 8th May 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via AIM to Full Clip Audio
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimethamc View Post
I know I am echoing what Psycho Monkey already said but it is the exact truth.

There is no standard for producing beats and Pro Tools was certainly never it People use all sorts of things and it makes no difference. When it comes to recording, editing and mixing at a professional level, Pro Tools is it.

If you want to be a professional engineer, you have no choice but to learn Pro Tools. If you want to make beats then use whatever you want and it would still be a good idea to learn Pro Tools.
8th May 2013
Old 8th May 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeStrange View Post
Sequencing in Pro Tools sucks...
I've read/heard this many times. As an exclusive Pro Tools sequence user, I'm curious what makes PT so bad. I've never seen/heard details. What's missing? What are some of the differences between PT & other DAW sequencers?
8th May 2013
Old 8th May 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezowinZ View Post
I've read/heard this many times. As an exclusive Pro Tools sequence user, I'm curious what makes PT so bad. I've never seen/heard details. What's missing? What are some of the differences between PT & other DAW sequencers?
I'm in the same boat. I do all my MIDI production in PT and have no problems at all. But I haven't used anything else (other than Cakewalk a long time ago), so maybe there are things we're missing and just don't know it lol.
9th May 2013
Old 9th May 2013

My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via Skype™ to psycho_monkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by BezowinZ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender412 View Post
I'm in the same boat. I do all my MIDI production in PT and have no problems at all. But I haven't used anything else (other than Cakewalk a long time ago), so maybe there are things we're missing and just don't know it lol.
I kind of agree - I rarely use Logic for anything. I'm not the world's more hardcore programmer, but I rarely find PT limiting.

PT's midi editing can be a little on the clunky side - Logic does seem a little more graceful at times (mind you, the opposite is definitely true for me when it comes to audio, particularly multitrack audio editing).

The other factor is the instruments - Logic has always come with a way better set of instruments, and included loops. That said, they are a little familiar in some ways now, and PT has improved (if not equalled) this. With PT plus a good 3rd party set of instruments (I just got Komplete 9 and I can't see me getting bored for a while!), no reason why you can't do everything you can do on Logic.
DreDay
9th May 2013
Old 9th May 2013
Gear Head

I decided that Im going to get both. Protools for vocals and such and logic 9 for beat making.
9th May 2013
Old 9th May 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

I think a lot of it is that we didn't get a real friggin MIDI editor until version 8 in Pro Tools! The criticism was definitely valid for a while but I think we are past that. I think a lot of the "Pro Tools sucks for MIDI" is just left over sentiment.
9th May 2013
Old 9th May 2013
Gear maniac

Honestly $200 for logic nuff said
9th May 2013
Old 9th May 2013
Lives for gear

last time I checked - for some reason, protools only has real time rendering....that's a pretty annoying limitation....why is that? I also find protools the least intuitive of all DAWS I have tried and I have tried pretty much all of them.....but I still feel forced to learn it someday and keep a version around just so I can export sessions sent to me in PT format. I wish Studio One was the industry standard, because its so damn nice. Seems like such a waste and pain to get and have to use 2 separate daws when you could do everything you want in just one
9th May 2013
Old 9th May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
I decided that Im going to get both. Protools for vocals and such and logic 9 for beat making.
Sorry? Protools for what? Just use logic and use the money saved for other cool stuff... like making it rain on strippers... or maybe other gear that you would need more... whatever.

You dont need Protools but you need to be learning two DAWs at the same damn time, much less..... boring ... why chop and change to do different tasks when they are both highly capable of doing what you need?

You high?
9th May 2013
Old 9th May 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampire View Post
last time I checked - for some reason, protools only has real time rendering....
Nope. Not any more. It has a whole new set of features that addresses this.

Quote:
I also find protools the least intuitive of all DAWS I have tried and I have tried pretty much all of them.....
Really? I feel the opposite. Granted I have been using it for a very long time but it is one of the only DAWs that just gets out of the way and acts like a tape machine essentially. Most of the other DAWs with their million little windows make me want to jump out of one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayl
Sorry? Protools for what? Just use logic and use the money saved for other cool stuff... like making it rain on strippers... or maybe other gear that you would need more... whatever.

You dont need Protools but you need to be learning two DAWs at the same damn time, much less..... boring ... why chop and change to do different tasks when they are both highly capable of doing what you need?
You don't feel that everyone working in the music industry at a professional level should know Pro Tools? If you are STRICTLY a beat maker and will never engineer in a studio then you might be able to get away with it but I think even the secretaries at most studios know how to operate it at a basic level.
9th May 2013
Old 9th May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Clip Audio View Post

You don't feel that everyone working in the music industry at a professional level should know Pro Tools? If you are STRICTLY a beat maker and will never engineer in a studio then you might be able to get away with it but I think even the secretaries at most studios know how to operate it at a basic level.
Haha, yes, well this is really only going to be my views based on what I've seen and heard as I really only have very minor experience with Protools. I have had a reasonable amount of experience with a number of DAWs as well as running a dual/multi DAW setup and there were lessons to be learnt there for sure.

Based on that, I have to say that I am without a doubt that learning Protools would definitely be a plus given it's continued status as being the DAW of choice in all the major tracking / mixing houses that I know of. If that is where you aspire to be, then absolutely.

It's going to depend on the application. While I know each of the top DAWs have their strengths, I think that if we were all being honest, we would agree that they are all capable of doing the job.

There is a whole lot of professional work that can be done without even needing to give protools a second thought... you would really have to be getting up there for it to become a factor, but it would all come down to how you see yourself fitting in to the industry.. The OP left all these things out, I just get the impression that it's a good old fashioned

"Hey, I want to write beats"

"Bro, you Protools because thats what all the Pros use"

Remember that one?

I have no doubt that if you can learn Logic or many others, moving to Protools is going to be fine. There are are so many things that need to be learnt that are so much more important than the DAW, in fact pretty much 90% of my knowledge and the lessons I learn and strive to get better at have absolutely nothing to do with the DAW, but once you have these things down, transferring to a DAW such as Protools is less of a drama, it's just a matter of getting a feel for how the car like to be driven.

Running two DAWs when either one can do everything you need it too and very very well I might add, just seems to lack efficiency... in fact it does.. not to mention that it's a waste of $$ that could be spent elsewhere.

The most important thing is that you choose the DAW that will allow you to get in there and get learning but most importantly, creating! In terms of the things that there are too learn out there, the DAW is really secondary. The good thing about both of these DAW's is that they both facilitate the users growth, they more one learns, the more the tools these two have on offer become applicable.

But initially, just get in there and learn and get better....and better..... and learn. Your DAW really has little do do with that.

Either is fine, both is a waste but its up to you. I can only stress that especially if this is your first DAW, learning two simultaneously and using each for different applications is only going to stunt your growth and knowledge of both of them, at least initially and there are far more important things you are going to need to learn.
10th May 2013
Old 10th May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab View Post
Logic in my view is a better production tool, PT's strength is in the mixing/editing, and I can tell you editing is just fine in Logic. As far as what's used in a MAJOR studio, first it's easy enough in Logic to export tracks to anything and I bet more than a few places also keep Logic around. My place is an upper mid level studio, I keep PT around for opening up sessions and exporting them into Logic, my main daw is Logic.

agree. I use both. Logic for composing and Protools for tracking, editing, and mixing. Cubase is cool too.
MacPro 2.66 quad, Macbook Pro 13" 2.4, Protools 8 LE 003, Logic 8, McDsp, Sonnox, API 512c, GR NV500, Buzz Essence, Focusrite Solo, DBX 160A, Telefunken AK47, AKG 414eb Adam A7 Sub 8, Laney, Fender, Martin, Musicman, PRS, Marshall, Bach.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search