Login / Register
 
Rap Promoter Bass
New Reply
Subscribe
J0rdan
Thread Starter
#1
2nd March 2013
Old 2nd March 2013
  #1
Gear interested
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 27

Thread Starter
J0rdan is offline
Rap Promoter Bass

A Tribe Called Quest - Rap Promoter - YouTube (only the best)

- Hey fly guys and fly girls just have a simple question for you. First off AMAZING song, so good. The bassline... mmmm that bassline.

Just want to know if the bass is sampled off another song. If not how was it created? What gear and production techniques do you believe were used to get that sexy sound. This bassline is different from the other songs on the LP, I don't believe it was a live recorded double bass, however correct me if I'm wrong

Awesome, thanks in advance
#2
2nd March 2013
Old 2nd March 2013
  #2
Gear maniac
 
iz_thewiz's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 172

iz_thewiz is offline
As far as I know, Ron Carter was credited only for bass on 'Verses from the abstract'. The rest of the albums bass lines are samples. The only people who would know how they achieved their sound for this track, and the album as a whole are ATCQ and the engineers - but il take a guess:

Samples from vinyl
SP-1200 or MPC s950
Mixed on a decent board
Printed to tape
Quote
1
KT1
#3
2nd March 2013
Old 2nd March 2013
  #3
KT1
Lives for gear
 
KT1's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,060

KT1 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by J0rdan View Post
A Tribe Called Quest - Rap Promoter - YouTube (only the best)

- Hey fly guys and fly girls just have a simple question for you. First off AMAZING song, so good. The bassline... mmmm that bassline.

Just want to know if the bass is sampled off another song. If not how was it created? What gear and production techniques do you believe were used to get that sexy sound. This bassline is different from the other songs on the LP, I don't believe it was a live recorded double bass, however correct me if I'm wrong

Awesome, thanks in advance
Mixed by Bob powers - Need we say anymore. This album is my reference as is anything by Bob to be honest. The greatest in my opinion.
Quote
1
#4
2nd March 2013
Old 2nd March 2013
  #4
Gear Head
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: 412
Posts: 62

thehost250 is offline
Could it be from Melting Pot by Booker T & The MG's? I remember sampling that song way back and filtering the bass. I was riding with a friend of mine 2 days later and heard this and I was like well it's too late for that sample. Very similar in sound once filtered.
Quote
1
J0rdan
Thread Starter
#5
2nd March 2013
Old 2nd March 2013
  #5
Gear interested
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 27

Thread Starter
J0rdan is offline
Awesome! All very interesting
#6
3rd March 2013
Old 3rd March 2013
  #6
Gear maniac
 
iz_thewiz's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 172

iz_thewiz is offline
Still prefer Midnight Marauders over Low End Theory, but they are both classics fo sho
#7
3rd March 2013
Old 3rd March 2013
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 5,217

beat you down is offline
could be anything from live to filtered sample to synth / sine to etc etc
J0rdan
Thread Starter
#8
4th March 2013
Old 4th March 2013
  #8
Gear interested
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 27

Thread Starter
J0rdan is offline
Maybe using a monophonic synth like the MS10? Definitely a possibility...
#9
4th March 2013
Old 4th March 2013
  #9
Gear addict
 
MIDIMobster's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 305

MIDIMobster is offline
wiki says the samples for "rap promoter" are:

Long Way Down" by Eric Mercury
"Keep on Doin It" by New Birth
"Stand" by Sly & the Family Stone

so I'd check those songs out and see if you can hear a bassline that sounds similar.
#10
4th March 2013
Old 4th March 2013
  #10
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 5,217

beat you down is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIDIMobster View Post
Long Way Down" by Eric Mercury
"Keep on Doin It" by New Birth
"Stand" by Sly & the Family Stone
1 guitar loop
2 drum loop
3 drum roll
Quote
2
#11
5th March 2013
Old 5th March 2013
  #11
Gear maniac
 
iz_thewiz's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 172

iz_thewiz is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by iz_thewiz View Post
As far as I know, Ron Carter was credited only for bass on 'Verses from the abstract'. The rest of the albums bass lines are samples.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 
 
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Cojo / Bass traps, acoustic panels, foam etc
1263
Watersound / So much gear, so little time!
21
J.S.Vega III / So much gear, so little time!
18
soupking / So many guitars, so little time!
10
flipmodea / High end
10

Forum Jump

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.