Snare drum programming
AKA-I-Addict
26th February 2013
Old 26th February 2013
Gear addict

Snare drum programming

I'm after some snare drum programming help. ...

So I've graduated beyond the days of the machine gun programming sound of snares locked to the grid ....all on full velocity.

I'm wanting to programme something similar to a train-beat, but having trouble doing this in midi. I'm just using one sample so the option of having a velocity switching sample is out. I've managed to get some separation between the occurrences of the snare through altering the position of the snares timing but am looking for any other tips people may have for programming shuffle or train type beats..

yeah I know odd question for this section of the forum but I'm hoping there may be a resident drum programming expert....
26th February 2013
Old 26th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-I-Addict View Post
...I'm just using one sample so the option of having a velocity switching sample is out..
you can have velocity changes with just one sample, you don't need multi-sampled stuff for that.
AKA-I-Addict
26th February 2013
Old 26th February 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by beat you down View Post
you can have velocity changes with just one sample, you don't need multi-sampled stuff for that.
Yeah true...I was actually thinking of having a velocity controlled filter on it so it was duller when the velocity was lower.
26th February 2013
Old 26th February 2013
Gear addict

If your trying to make it a bit more natural pitch your sample up and down a bit, also filter it to make a bank of multi samples.

It's never going to be as good as a ton of multi samples but will be workable.
AKA-I-Addict
26th February 2013
Old 26th February 2013
Gear addict

So I'd be pitching it up slightly for the clearer harder strokes ?
26th February 2013
Old 26th February 2013
Gear addict

the pitch should be random, filter some of the high end slightly on softer hits and also drop the level of the sample so as we'll as a lower velocity triggering a quieter sample there will also be a change in tone making it sound more realistic
26th February 2013
Old 26th February 2013
Lives for gear

To vary up snare hits when you only have 1 sample, zoom in and cut out a chunk of the middle of the snare's waveform, then 'connect' the two remaining end pieces so you have a snare hit that sounds like your 'normal' hit, but lacks the full impact. Just randomizing the pitch or HF cutoff is going to sound a little too synthetic.
26th February 2013
Old 26th February 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsowa View Post
To vary up snare hits when you only have 1 sample, zoom in and cut out a chunk of the middle of the snare's waveform, then 'connect' the two remaining end pieces so you have a snare hit that sounds like your 'normal' hit, but lacks the full impact. Just randomizing the pitch or HF cutoff is going to sound a little too synthetic.
As I said its far from ideal and multi samples would be preferable but it's an option. Agreed it can sound synthetic but not as synthetic as a single sample and it can be quite workable in a lot of cases depending on the track.

Combining the two methods and also cutting some of the wave form is going to give the op even more samples to work with and they will hopefully be able to achieve the feel they are trying to create.
26th February 2013
Old 26th February 2013
Gear maniac

Some things I can do in Reason with the Redrum or the NN19/NNXT/NN-Nano. There I can assign the velocity to (in no particular order):

- sample start (increase/decrease start time - I use this a lot especially on claps with long applause samples)
- pitch bend rate (increase/decrease bend time)
- filter env (increase/decreas amount)
- filter decay (increase/decrease decay time)
- amp ( aka volume - pretty standard)
- amp attack (increase/decrease amp attack time)
- tone (increase/decrease "treble")
- filter frequency (increase/decrease filter cut off)
- pitch (increase/decrease pitch withou bend)

I think that should be most of them.

Of course you could process your file in different manners, load them into your sampler and assign different velocity zones to them matching your playstyle.

Cheers,
Sebastian
AKA-I-Addict
26th February 2013
Old 26th February 2013
Gear addict

cool, thanks guys. This is valuebale input , appreciated.

Great to see some constructive discussion going on in here as well.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search