New Reply
Subscribe
eleven76ers
22nd February 2013
Old 22nd February 2013
Gear interested

What compressor did Wu-Tang use?

Hey, first post,

I'm normally an electronic producer, but, just going back to some old school hip-hop like Wu-Tang, in particular C.R.E.A.M., and boy does that song has some vintage cream on it!

I mean that is the sound no doubt everyone is chasing today- that fat, analogue tape type track. So what compressors do you reckon they used back then (93-94)... the 1176/LA-2A? It can't all come from using tape can it? I've heard plenty of hip-hop from that time and they don't have that dirt especially on the bass/low end in general.

The sub bass/bass has a gorgeous filter on it... I so want to identify their equipment/ recreate it today
wreckingstuff
22nd February 2013
Old 22nd February 2013
wreckingstuff

Search for Wutang, there is a thread here where the engineer of 36 Chambers breaks down the gear used on the record.
22nd February 2013
Old 22nd February 2013
Lives for gear

EPS.....dbx 160 im sure theres more.

The RZA didnt make all those tracks...

What happened to Dr Kno? If any of you guys know him you guys should get him to do a q&a with gs. Sorry, ive only met the guy. Carlos Bess is in there also.
wreckingstuff
22nd February 2013
Old 22nd February 2013
wreckingstuff

Yeah Carlos Bless engineered it, big thread here with posts from Carlos Bless. Can't remember what the thread was called but search Bless/Wu and you should get to it.
22nd February 2013
Old 22nd February 2013
Gear Head

eleven76ers
22nd February 2013
Old 22nd February 2013
Gear interested

you guys are the best, i searched and couldn't find results before- was using the wrong keywords. cheers
Gax
22nd February 2013
Old 22nd February 2013
Gax
Lives for gear

22nd February 2013
Old 22nd February 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleven76ers View Post
Hey, first post,

I'm normally an electronic producer, but, just going back to some old school hip-hop like Wu-Tang, in particular C.R.E.A.M., and boy does that song has some vintage cream on it!

I mean that is the sound no doubt everyone is chasing today- that fat, analogue tape type track. So what compressors do you reckon they used back then (93-94)... the 1176/LA-2A? It can't all come from using tape can it? I've heard plenty of hip-hop from that time and they don't have that dirt especially on the bass/low end in general.

The sub bass/bass has a gorgeous filter on it... I so want to identify their equipment/ recreate it today
Less about the gear.. more about the production style.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search