Overdoing It & Taking Breaks
Old 19th February 2013
Gear maniac

Overdoing It & Taking Breaks

This is unhealthy.

Last night I had horrible nightmares [seriously] about not being able to compress a bassline properly. Specifically I was using a hardware 1176 (which I've never owned or used in real life) to level out some mountains in Minecraft (which I don't play) but they kept pushing up.

Something is not right about this. When you start dreaming about Limiters and Mix Problems (and actually being stressed about it) its time to just f*cking stop.

I'm thinking of not doing anything musically related for a WHILE. Like, some weeks...
Old 19th February 2013
i haven't had dreams like that but i have a hard time stepping back from something in general. i always have to get everything perfect. it's just unnecessary to get that intensely focused on something, it won't make your music any better.

enjoy your break!
Old 19th February 2013
Lives for gear

if one aspect starts getting draining, switch to a different one.

like -

if mixing is taxing you, then drop it and just write lyrics for a while...if composing is taxing, maybe switch to 'discovery' mode and find some new artists / music that resonates with you...if all that shit is taxing, then just switch to sound design and focus on making some new sounds; there's a lot of spokes on the wheel.
Old 19th February 2013
Lives for gear

lol, holy crap Ive had nightmares like that, as a chef, but in mcdonnalds running from french fry orders.

yea as Fyle Formatz said. switch it up man. when Im getting stressed or burnt out thats what i do.
Old 20th February 2013
Lives for gear

i have anxietys about not making enough beats and finally putting out an album sometimes.

i try to ignore it and just take my creativity as it comes though.

i agree, sometimes just taking a step back to discover new music can be good too.
Old 20th February 2013
Interesting, I cant say I've had any music dreams to that extent, BUT I have focused entirely TOO much on certain aspects when mixing my own ish, Just knock things out follow your gut and move on, I'm personally a perfectionist at times but that can also be crippling....good luck comrade

CL
Old 20th February 2013
Lives for gear

this is all normal, don't worry.
Old 20th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian R View Post
...I'm thinking of not doing anything musically related for a WHILE. Like, some weeks...
did this last year.

highly recommend it.

i kept away from my set-up for like a month and a half or so.
Old 20th February 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian R View Post
When you start dreaming about Limiters and Mix Problems (and actually being stressed about it) its time to just f*cking stop.
Welcome to Gearslutz and a life of audio audio and more audio.
There is no end to this madness.
You can run.....

But you can't hide.
Old 20th February 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by beat you down View Post
did this last year.

highly recommend it.

i kept away from my set-up for like a month and a half or so.
indeed, been there done that....definitely works...
Old 20th February 2013
Gear Head

I've had similar dreams where I've been playing Piano and it actually sounds good, kind of gives me strength to continue in real life because I know my brain is capable of making good Music.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search