downgrading slimming down setup to improve productivity
New Reply
Subscribe
beat you down
5th February 2013
Old 5th February 2013
Lives for gear

downgrading slimming down setup to improve productivity

i remember a time where i would just have a sampler and cubase light, i could make beats all day and do like 5 beats a day.

now...
i deinstalled most komplete stuff but i'm still wasting too much time browsing and tweaking lol. can't get stuff done it seems.

lately i'm thinking of downgrading slimming down to just one app or even going back to just one hardware unit and a daw.

just wondering...
any of you did this?
did it work?
5th February 2013
Old 5th February 2013
Lives for gear

Yup, went back itb in the past year.

Sold off my MPC, Synths, Technics, Mixers, my boards all my records.... pretty much everything all my hardware except for my AD/DA, a GAP pre and my FZ1 which I keep on occasion to break writers block or to 'colourize' stems. Not that I was stacked with hardware but it had been getting back up there over the past couple years.

From there I sold off, gave away or just deleted any plugins that weren't being used on a regular basis. I had too many Synths...far too many and too many compressor and EQ's that pretty much did the same thing. Admittedly... I still have a good selection on tone shaping tools.. the likes of distortion, bitcrushers etc etc... but they are a must have as far as I'm concerned. I stopped DAW hopping too, I would jump into Live lite and Energy XT every now and then.. an bounce import into studio one... none of that anymore.. I just kept Energy XT as a VSTi

Anyway.... its all a streamlined system now. I work faster. What I have is more than capable of producing worldwide top 40 (what isn't these days though) not that this is my intention. Less distractions. I know the Fx and instruments that I'm left with very well and as a result, I know exactly what to reach for when I have an idea. Speed, no losing the momentum and more importantly, the idea.

It's like the saying goes: Beware of the man with one gun... he probably knows how to use it (or he's just poor).

To wrap it up, I can see that I will acquire more gear and plugs etc... I can't help it... and then do this again. I want a decent outboard bus stereo comp.... but it can all wait.

Give it a shot... gear can be replaced, time cant.
5th February 2013
Old 5th February 2013
Banned

Been researching the idea of scaling down to the MPC 2500 and grabbing a motif xf or xs.
Would keep the older samplers except the 60 for sound design.

VST instruments seem to offer too much sometimes. I may be looking for bounraries like a troublee youth.
5th February 2013
Old 5th February 2013
Gear Head

I downsized my studio and hot rid of alla large synths, outboard, etc. Kept the stuff i really use so now im down to a setup consisting of mpc3000, sp1200, 808, 101, recordplayer and a pile of nice vinyls. Never been more productive!
5th February 2013
Old 5th February 2013
Lives for gear

I'm really liking iMPC at the moment, because it limits what you can use. You can't go and pull up about 50 soft synths in a session. Limitations on what you can use definitely improve focus, at least for me.
5th February 2013
Old 5th February 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebailey92 View Post
I'm really liking iMPC at the moment, because it limits what you can use. You can't go and pull up about 50 soft synths in a session. Limitations on what you can use definitely improve focus, at least for me.
True!
mp3
5th February 2013
Old 5th February 2013
mp3
Lives for gear

I'm down to my 2500 and three synths (ax80, tx81z, and kawai XD-5) on the HW side.

In SW, I got Ableton (and APC40) and Kontakt as my mainstays and a handful of fx plugs. Can't bring myself to delete all the gigs and gigs of samples I don't use tho...

Workin on it... I'm a pack rat by nature so it's hard for me, but at the same time I can't focus with a pile of gear or a long list of plugins in front of me. And the lil bit I got left still gets in the way sometimes...
5th February 2013
Old 5th February 2013
Lives for gear

I went from an ASR-X AND Motif to strictly maschine. I still have my asr-x and every few months I sample a few hundred drums to add to my battery kits for use in maschine. the simplicity is beautiful!
5th February 2013
Old 5th February 2013
Gear interested

Yea I do everything ITB now with a usb microphone and a pair of over the ear headphones. I get a much better quality with much less equipment but that's mainly because I have so much more experience now.
5th February 2013
Old 5th February 2013
Lives for gear

get an sp-303
5th February 2013
Old 5th February 2013
Gear nut

I went extreme and limited my production to just using an iPad and iPhone with BeatMaker 2 and NanoStudio on both lol. I used to own a lot of gear and rarely made music. Now with my minimalist approach I'm creating beats all day. I did buy a Maschine MK 2 last Friday. I hope my gear lust stops there and doesn't go out of control again. I'm already thinking about buying a Korg MS-20 Mini and a Novatiin UltraNova!
5th February 2013
Old 5th February 2013
Gear addict

yes I try to keep it simple. Ofcourse when you have a full studio theres lots of gadgets around. Beat making signal chain: vinyl -> sampler -> pre -> interface. No struggling with 'how to make it sound phat'
6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
Lives for gear

i'm using a sampletrak, microsampler, mpc 1000, kaosillator, record player and vinyl. i love the setup.
6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
Gear nut

That reminds of the ebook I found promoted on this website: "The #1 Secret of Home Recording". Paraphrasing from memory, the secret was Limit your options like your life depended on it. I think it's great advice. Learning to get the best out of a handful of tools, rather than skimming the surface of a thousand different tools.
6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
Lives for gear

Not me. Im upgrading, getting chunky, heavy pieces.

Productivity is good. Recall is bad.
6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
Lives for gear

I got about 6 different samplers in my rig...all golden age tanks. THAT doesn't hurt my creativity...I am going out the box or from vinyl into my samplers...which ever one I choose that day I just load it up and GO. I MIGHT use two if I want a certain edge on my drums....

It def doesn't hold me back...it actually inspires me.

What DOES hold me back is my plugins and romplers/libraries...I have severely reduced the footprint of my plugins.

Kontakt with a handful of select go to libraries
Trilian
Audioease Speakerphone
Overloud VKFX
Sampletron
SQ8L
Chipsounds
Albino
FM7
FabFilter One, Saturn and Twin
ezDrummer

A Couple freeware mixing plugins and FL Stock mixing plugins..

That's the extent of my plugins....not sure if that's a lot or moderate..but it's efficient.
6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
Gear addict

I find that the endless plythora of vsts and vsti's available nowadays is most likely one of the biggest stumbling blocks (at least for me and others which I have heard from). Especially considering how cheap some are, nevermind the hundreds of free ones that are available nowadays! Whatever happened to using good ol stock plug-ins? lol :what:

Sent from my GT-I9100M
6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
Gear Head

I kinda went the other way. I had way too much software and searching through what seemed like an endless array of sounds got tiresome. I went back to hardware and my productivity shot up.
Now using a Motif XF, Fantom G, Kronos, Moog Voyager, and an Integra. I have an mpc 2500 but I rarely sample so it's kinda just there other than to program drum sequences into Pro Tools. It works for me. Like someone else said though, I still can't bring myself to delete over 600gb's of sounds even if I don't use them. One never knows.
beat you down
6th February 2013
Old 6th February 2013
Lives for gear

thanks guys.

i'm now left with...

pt
ni massive

should be just enough.
might reinstall battery.
8th February 2013
Old 8th February 2013
Gear nut

absolutely. you can have hundreds of different tools but what's essential is that each one of it really has it's function. and most of the time less is more!

some top producers have tons of oldschool synths but only use each one it for a specific task. if you know how to let it flow, it's alright but if your flow gets interrupted by too many tools then it's time to clear away the dung!

always stick with the best tools and try to make things sound as great as possible instead of having tons of software synths and tools.

Latest Free Sample Packs for Members
7 Trap Kicks
10 EDM Kicks
12 Dubstep Snares

Blog
10 Great Trap Sample Packs
New Contest To Win A Free Pack
8th February 2013
Old 8th February 2013
Gear nut

Glad I'm not the only one that just did this. Stripped down to dcam, massive, virus ti, and an MPC.
8th February 2013
Old 8th February 2013
Lives for gear

1 DRUM MACHINE + 3 SYNTHS + 1 DIGITAL AUDIO WORKSTATION = 5 STAR GENERAL

anything else is uncivilized.
8th February 2013
Old 8th February 2013
Lives for gear

I'm downgrading to 4-track portastudio, ensoniq eps and an sm58.
8th February 2013
Old 8th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyondat View Post
I'm downgrading to 4-track portastudio, ensoniq eps and an sm58.
tape? or are you being facetious? lol

I was seriously debating picking up one of those portastudios...I concluded it's more efficient for me to just drop the line outs of my AI through some attenuation and into a pre for makeup gain and then to cassette.

kind of a pseudo-analog summing and cheap dirty tape sound, if you will.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search