Login / Register

micro edits during mixing instead of eq compression etc?
New Reply
Subscribe
beat you down
5th February 2013
Old 5th February 2013
Lives for gear

micro edits during mixing instead of eq compression etc?

eversince the "frankensteining" kicks thread i've been off and on trying to apply the same method to other sounds that coincide.

i guess i'm trying to use the imperfection of human hearing to my advantage and increase headroom. i'm more and more deleting attack parts of the least important sounds when they coincide with conflicting sounds instead of slapping on some plugin per default.

any of you use micro editing instead of more conventional methods like eq and compression etc to solve problems like clashing sounds?

just getting into this, so...
any tips?

thanks.
5th February 2013
Old 5th February 2013
Lives for gear

I work in midi so I'm pretty much always micro editing.

Most of the massage happens in the key editor, adjusting velocities when notes layer or overlap, tweaking start and end points, playing with VST expression when I can, automation of paremeters in the VST interface. Cell (part) macro volume automation. It's nice when I can just alter just one note of a chord when it's too pronounced, rather than process the group with dynamics. A boomy resonating bass note? I adjust the velo sensitivity in the VST interface with a filter so that I can filter that one note without attenuating it. In the key editor those boomy notes are tamed with a logical editor.

When I'm feeling very fiddly, I'll copy the important hits of a Battery drum set being used for main drums, adjust the release of all those samples so their tighter, maybe a HP, and substitute with those in the more active parts of the track, rather than insert a comp or env shaper on that section. This is more flexible as I can use those shorter hits for ghost notes or drum fills much easier when/where I want. This adds better dynamic and variety, and will never take the energy out of the drums. I also don't worry about thresholds and that stuff later when I want to adjust levels later. Better yet, if I make those env adjustments IN Battery, I can always go back.

I think theres a lot I can do with editing before letting a compressor take control.
5th February 2013
Old 5th February 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by beat you down View Post
eversince the "frankensteining" kicks thread i've been off and on trying to apply the same method to other sounds that coincide.

i guess i'm trying to use the imperfection of human hearing to my advantage and increase headroom. i'm more and more deleting attack parts of the least important sounds when they coincide with conflicting sounds instead of slapping on some plugin per default.

any of you use micro editing instead of more conventional methods like eq and compression etc to solve problems like clashing sounds?

just getting into this, so...
any tips?

thanks.
Honestly I read that whole thread for tips & techniques that I could improve with, but honestly I found a lot of that to be silly.
Whether someone controls ASDR of a sound through destructive editing a sample or simply adjusting the knee & attack time on a compressor doesn't have that drastic of effect on the sound if done right.
I have gotten real anal recently about ducking (sometimes multiple) sub bass sources in my tracks. I guess it could also be called sidechaining, but I don't use a compressor, I use the Peak controller in FL to trigger the low shelf (or other bands) on the Parametric Eq.
Works wonders for making trap beats more clear on the low end.
5th February 2013
Old 5th February 2013
Lives for gear

I don't know if I get the question 100%, but Im always tweaking/micro adjusting my layers. EQ filter, HP/LP cuts, bit crush one, reverb the other... whatever.. then I might add all the layers to a buss and add a touch of tape sim or mild glue... I dont always track out indiidual hits these days though so.. it all depends.

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search