How to divide a sample based on frequencies?
2PInZ
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
Gear interested

How to divide a sample based on frequencies?

I was hoping you guys could tell me a way to divide a sample into two parts by looking at its frequency map. I use FL Studio, and I guess you could split the sample into two channels, turning down w/e you don't want in each channel using the Parametric EQ. But is there a plug-in you guys know of - ideally with a bar that you can drag up and down a frequency map, and will allow only w/e is on the left or right of it to pass through the mixer?

There are a few samples I wanted to split up this way. I appreciate any thoughts!
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2PInZ View Post
I was hoping you guys could tell me a way to divide a sample into two parts by looking at its frequency map. I use FL Studio, and I guess you could split the sample into two channels, turning down w/e you don't want in each channel using the Parametric EQ. But is there a plug-in you guys know of - ideally with a bar that you can drag up and down a frequency map, and will allow only w/e is on the left or right of it to pass through the mixer?

There are a few samples I wanted to split up this way. I appreciate any thoughts!

ReaFIR - CockosWiki
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
you could use a linear phase eq and make your own cross-over.
duplicate your track and on one track put a HPF and on the other put a LPF
use the same corner frequency for each one
be mindful of where you put the cross-over frequency because this method is not a 'perfect' split and may/may not have audible phase issues at the cross-over point (+/- in that area)...
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

x-noise ? edit: nvm it's not an strict eq per say but can be used as such..
2PInZ
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by beat you down View Post
This is awesome - exactly what I was looking for. I'm guessing you have experience using that plugin - one question I had was when I'm using the Gate function, there is an increase in the attack time for some reason. When I lower the FFT though, it gets fixed, except the gate isn't as good anymore and allows sound across the threshold to pass. Any idea as to what I'm doing wrong/incorrectly? Tried messing around with the settings...

Thanks for the replies though - I appreciate it.
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2PInZ View Post
This is awesome - exactly what I was looking for. I'm guessing you have experience using that plugin - one question I had was when I'm using the Gate function, there is an increase in the attack time for some reason. When I lower the FFT though, it gets fixed, except the gate isn't as good anymore and allows sound across the threshold to pass. Any idea as to what I'm doing wrong/incorrectly? Tried messing around with the settings...

Thanks for the replies though - I appreciate it.
i think i know what you mean, i only use it in my editor not my daw, my work around is to paste a little silence into the file, before the actual sound starts.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search