Login / Register

How to divide a sample based on frequencies?
New Reply
Subscribe
2PInZ
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
Gear interested

How to divide a sample based on frequencies?

I was hoping you guys could tell me a way to divide a sample into two parts by looking at its frequency map. I use FL Studio, and I guess you could split the sample into two channels, turning down w/e you don't want in each channel using the Parametric EQ. But is there a plug-in you guys know of - ideally with a bar that you can drag up and down a frequency map, and will allow only w/e is on the left or right of it to pass through the mixer?

There are a few samples I wanted to split up this way. I appreciate any thoughts!
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2PInZ View Post
I was hoping you guys could tell me a way to divide a sample into two parts by looking at its frequency map. I use FL Studio, and I guess you could split the sample into two channels, turning down w/e you don't want in each channel using the Parametric EQ. But is there a plug-in you guys know of - ideally with a bar that you can drag up and down a frequency map, and will allow only w/e is on the left or right of it to pass through the mixer?

There are a few samples I wanted to split up this way. I appreciate any thoughts!

ReaFIR - CockosWiki
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

you could use a linear phase eq and make your own cross-over.
duplicate your track and on one track put a HPF and on the other put a LPF
use the same corner frequency for each one
be mindful of where you put the cross-over frequency because this method is not a 'perfect' split and may/may not have audible phase issues at the cross-over point (+/- in that area)...
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

Send a message via Skype™ to B.A.S.E
x-noise ? edit: nvm it's not an strict eq per say but can be used as such..
2PInZ
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by beat you down View Post
This is awesome - exactly what I was looking for. I'm guessing you have experience using that plugin - one question I had was when I'm using the Gate function, there is an increase in the attack time for some reason. When I lower the FFT though, it gets fixed, except the gate isn't as good anymore and allows sound across the threshold to pass. Any idea as to what I'm doing wrong/incorrectly? Tried messing around with the settings...

Thanks for the replies though - I appreciate it.
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2PInZ View Post
This is awesome - exactly what I was looking for. I'm guessing you have experience using that plugin - one question I had was when I'm using the Gate function, there is an increase in the attack time for some reason. When I lower the FFT though, it gets fixed, except the gate isn't as good anymore and allows sound across the threshold to pass. Any idea as to what I'm doing wrong/incorrectly? Tried messing around with the settings...

Thanks for the replies though - I appreciate it.
i think i know what you mean, i only use it in my editor not my daw, my work around is to paste a little silence into the file, before the actual sound starts.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search