Login / Register
 
Ex-MPC 3000 user... what drum machine should I get?
New Reply
Subscribe
TVman
Thread Starter
#1
29th January 2013
Old 29th January 2013
  #1
Gear nut
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 78

Thread Starter
TVman is offline
Ex-MPC 3000 user... what drum machine should I get?

I used to use an MPC 3000 for all my beats about a decade ago before I basically retired from the scene to do the work and family thing. Anyway, I sold all my gear and I'm getting the itch to do music again.

Wondering what Drum machine to get.

The MPC Ren looks nice, but it kills me that it's not stand alone, when I like to travel to studios or perform live every once in a while without being tethered to a PC.

MPC 2500 looks nice with the JJOS and maxed out.

I still have all my old stuff saved on 250mg zip disks that I used with the 3000. The cool part about the Ren is that it will load the mpc 3000 info.

I don't necessarily want to get another 3000 because I had to do all my chopping, compression, effects, and everything else in a ASR-10 and DAW before sending it all into the 3000 for sequencing. I'd like to get an MP that has compression, effects, and just about everything else I need in the box.


Oh ...and trying out FL, Ableton, Maschine, Sonar, Cubase ......nothing seems to touch the tightness of the timing of an MPC in song mode
#2
29th January 2013
Old 29th January 2013
  #2
Banned
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 2,885

jrides is offline
Are you sue you know what you want?
You say you don't want to be tethered to a PC, but you tried a bunch of software. If you are still open to software, then the MPC Studio might be convenient (since you don't seem to like Maschine). Other than that, I would say the 2500 with the JJOS is an excellent piece of gear. Its effcts however, are not on par with the ASR-10. Keep that in mind. Other than that, its a beast. Its my main piece which lives happily with a bunch of other samplers (new and very old).
TVman
Thread Starter
#3
29th January 2013
Old 29th January 2013
  #3
Gear nut
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 78

Thread Starter
TVman is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrides View Post
Are you sue you know what you want?
You say you don't want to be tethered to a PC, but you tried a bunch of software. If you are still open to software, then the MPC Studio might be convenient (since you don't seem to like Maschine). Other than that, I would say the 2500 with the JJOS is an excellent piece of gear. Its effcts however, are not on par with the ASR-10. Keep that in mind. Other than that, its a beast. Its my main piece which lives happily with a bunch of other samplers (new and very old).
I know I want a stand alone MPC which I can do all of my beast and sequencing on in song mode with changes and what not.

Does the 2500 have automation?

That MPC studio can it me used stand alone?

I'm just used to the work flow of the MPC and the crunchy hard ass sound of the drums off there and the tight sequencing. The hands on feels and the live playing is for me.

PC based beat making just feels so cold and calculated compared to live bangin out tracks.
#4
29th January 2013
Old 29th January 2013
  #4
Lives for gear
 
3rd Degree's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,524

3rd Degree is offline
A 1000/2500 seems like it would fit the bill well. Some people will say the timing/swing is not up to par. I will tell you the effects are not at all what you have in your ASR 10, I won't even use MPC effects.
#5
29th January 2013
Old 29th January 2013
  #5
Gear interested
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 3

Ekhad is offline
Get the 5000. It is about the same price as the 2500 and you get more for your money. Its got more knobs and sliders to automate with, the sequencer is higher resolution and the screen is bigger it also come with a built in hard disk recorder and a synth. It has a fast workflow and the learning curve is not steep like the 4000 coming from a 3000 you will pick it up in no time.
#6
29th January 2013
Old 29th January 2013
  #6
Banned
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 2,885

jrides is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVman View Post
I know I want a stand alone MPC which I can do all of my beast and sequencing on in song mode with changes and what not.

Does the 2500 have automation?

That MPC studio can it me used stand alone?

I'm just used to the work flow of the MPC and the crunchy hard ass sound of the drums off there and the tight sequencing. The hands on feels and the live playing is for me.

PC based beat making just feels so cold and calculated compared to live bangin out tracks.
MPC studio is not stand alone. It has a MPC like workflow. Very familiar. You can record lots of stuff in the JJOS. Mutes, Q LINK movements etc. Not sure what you would like to automate. I would guess it can do what you need.

Regarding timing I also have a 60 and find this to be an issue. The JJOS is easier to get along wkth than the 5000 Akai OS as well.
TVman
Thread Starter
#7
29th January 2013
Old 29th January 2013
  #7
Gear nut
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 78

Thread Starter
TVman is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd Degree View Post
A 1000/2500 seems like it would fit the bill well. Some people will say the timing/swing is not up to par. I will tell you the effects are not at all what you have in your ASR 10, I won't even use MPC effects.
so it looks like im back to doing all my normalizing, chopping, effects, scratch pad in another sampler before I even hit the MPC.
#8
30th January 2013
Old 30th January 2013
  #8
Lives for gear
 
3rd Degree's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,524

3rd Degree is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVman View Post
so it looks like im back to doing all my normalizing, chopping, effects, scratch pad in another sampler before I even hit the MPC.
The MPC is great for chopping, I just think Akai effects are garbage. Maybe the 5000 is better, I haven't used that, and it wouldn't be a bad choice to consider either. I do know the 5000 has much more effects, hopefully someone chimes in on their usability compared to other options.

From your post, I just kind of assumed that you wanted to do everything on the ASR10 and just sequence off an MPC. I would possibly consider a 4000 if you plan to be using your MPC standalone or running audio through as well. I have to admit I have not used the 4000 but I would strongly consider one if I started using an MPC all the time again.
TVman
Thread Starter
#9
30th January 2013
Old 30th January 2013
  #9
Gear nut
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 78

Thread Starter
TVman is offline
Are all these MP's just as tight on the sequencer as 3000, 60, 2000?

Also is the sound coming out good" The Ad/Da converters? I know the 3000 everything coming out of there was gholden.

Also what about the 4000? anyone using that anymore? Just Blaze was on that right? WOnder if he's still using it.

So it's between 2500 and 5000 it's lookin like
#10
30th January 2013
Old 30th January 2013
  #10
Gear maniac
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: **** you
Posts: 209

KevBonds is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVman View Post
Are all these MP's just as tight on the sequencer as 3000, 60, 2000?

Also is the sound coming out good" The Ad/Da converters? I know the 3000 everything coming out of there was gholden.

Also what about the 4000? anyone using that anymore? Just Blaze was on that right? WOnder if he's still using it.

So it's between 2500 and 5000 it's lookin like
You should download the pdf manuals for the 2500, 4000 and 5000, take some time to read them and then decide. Each MPC has advantages and disadvantages when comparing but you can make music with any of them once you take the time to learn. If you got the money, get one of each.
#11
30th January 2013
Old 30th January 2013
  #11
Banned
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 2,885

jrides is offline
Tightness: If you are putting the 2k in the same sentence as 60 and 30000 then you wouldnt be able to tell the diff anyway. I have 2k and 60. I.use the 2500 as my main piece. If y ou are doing hip hop you will perceive no discernable difference in daily use. If you are using it in a laboratory the to set the timing for the atomic world clock... maybe use something else.

The 2500 4000 and 5000 don't make everything better. They all sound good enough to make heat.
#12
30th January 2013
Old 30th January 2013
  #12
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: pacific northwest
Posts: 889

damien907 is offline
check this thread at mpc forums, this guy is trying to decide between the 2500 with jjos and the 5000 too. i would personally go with the jjos 2500, especially because the xlcd screen they have now enables your 2500 to have a screen thats the same size and its just as powerful if not more so than the 5k. if you dont want to use the xlcd screen, jjosxl is still a powerful choice, i dont know exactly what you want to automate, but you can and you can automate q links controls and midi cc's on jjosxl. read here fro more info: GRID EDIT(MIDI CONTROL)

and here is the thread from mpc forums:

Akai MPC Forums - Roland MP50 to Akai MPC 2500 : Getting Started
#13
30th January 2013
Old 30th January 2013
  #13
Gear maniac
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 295

Below Zero is offline
Just get a used asr and a used moc to control the asr
TVman
Thread Starter
#14
30th January 2013
Old 30th January 2013
  #14
Gear nut
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 78

Thread Starter
TVman is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by damien907 View Post
check this thread at mpc forums, this guy is trying to decide between the 2500 with jjos and the 5000 too. i would personally go with the jjos 2500, especially because the xlcd screen they have now enables your 2500 to have a screen thats the same size and its just as powerful if not more so than the 5k. if you dont want to use the xlcd screen, jjosxl is still a powerful choice, i dont know exactly what you want to automate, but you can and you can automate q links controls and midi cc's on jjosxl. read here fro more info: GRID EDIT(MIDI CONTROL)

and here is the thread from mpc forums:

Akai MPC Forums - Roland MP50 to Akai MPC 2500 : Getting Started
that big O screen upgrade to the 2500 is TIGHT!!!! I didn't even know about that....just remember squintin next to candle light late nights next to the 3000 screen.

big ups on all the advice. Im leaning toward the 2500 at this point. Although it still looks like I will have prep outside the box in a daw or ASR as a scratchpad w/ pro sounding effects and compression for drums....
#15
30th January 2013
Old 30th January 2013
  #15
Banned
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 2,885

jrides is offline
You cant go wrong with any of them. Chopping in the jjos is dead easy though. Almost like software. MV8800 has better efx but it loads sloooooowww Workflow killer.

I use the mpc efx as a scratch pad the track dry into my daw. Also I have the xlcd.

#16
30th January 2013
Old 30th January 2013
  #16
Gear maniac
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: **** you
Posts: 209

KevBonds is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVman View Post
that big O screen upgrade to the 2500 is TIGHT!!!! I didn't even know about that....just remember squintin next to candle light late nights next to the 3000 screen.

big ups on all the advice. Im leaning toward the 2500 at this point. Although it still looks like I will have prep outside the box in a daw or ASR as a scratchpad w/ pro sounding effects and compression for drums....
Keep in mind that the sequencer resolution of the 2500 is nowhere near that of the 4k and the 5k. It depends on your needs really. JJOS is awesome but I highly recommend you getting MPC-Tutor's guide to really know what you can do with it.
#17
30th January 2013
Old 30th January 2013
  #17
Lives for gear
 
Nahuel's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,689

Nahuel is offline
the seq in older mpcs is not tight quite the contrary.
#18
30th January 2013
Old 30th January 2013
  #18
Lives for gear
 
ForWerd's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 807

ForWerd is offline
Just get the MPC2500 max memory, hard drive or solid state drive, and JJOS and make some music. It has USB so you can dump samples back and forth. You'll be happy,
__________________
Just passing through...
#19
30th January 2013
Old 30th January 2013
  #19
Banned
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 2,885

jrides is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForWerd View Post
Just get the MPC2500 max memory, hard drive or solid state drive, and JJOS and make some music. It has USB so you can dump samples back and forth. You'll be happy,
Agreed OP should just buy something and be done. Overthinking it will cause him to never get back in the game. All that ish is more modern than the 3k and will likely offer you some additional convenience. The 5k has new chopping features, and the 2.5k w/jjos goes even further with this.
TVman
Thread Starter
#20
30th January 2013
Old 30th January 2013
  #20
Gear nut
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 78

Thread Starter
TVman is offline
What do you guys think is a far price for a used 2500?
#21
30th January 2013
Old 30th January 2013
  #21
Banned
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Burghtown
Posts: 226

djcrugoo is offline
Forget mpc, or maschine, matter of fact, I just sold my maschine. Get yourself Abelton, an MPD32, solid drum samples, and become familiar with the drum rack, Far better than any MPC.

Cruugoo.
#22
30th January 2013
Old 30th January 2013
  #22
Gear addict
 
digiman's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Los Angeles

digiman is offline
I would get either the 4000 or the 5000 if I were in your shoes. Either one will suit your needs. If you want deeper sampling capabiliites and functionality, go with the 4000. If you want something with newer integration to PC/Mac for file transfers go with the 5000. Both are "beasts" in their own right.
__________________
_______________________________________

Keith Gruv
Songwriter|Producer

The Website

Follow on Twitter

https://soundcloud.com/anonymoustrax/luv-shook
#23
30th January 2013
Old 30th January 2013
  #23
Geariophile
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: london
Posts: 14,245

Karloff70 is online now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahuel View Post
the seq in older mpcs is not tight quite the contrary.
3000 and 60 are tighter than all the new ones except the 4000. Have a look at the Innerclock site.
#24
30th January 2013
Old 30th January 2013
  #24
Gear addict
 
digiman's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Los Angeles

digiman is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
3000 and 60 are tighter than all the new ones except the 4000. Have a look at the Innerclock site.
This man speaks the truth. It's the reason I traded the 5000 for the 4000. I was initially skeptical about the results of the Innerclock tests, but after conducting my own tests, I was able to confirm this.
#25
30th January 2013
Old 30th January 2013
  #25
Lives for gear
 
steveswisher's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 876

steveswisher is offline
I would recommend taking a look at Elektron's Octatrack or Machinedrum as well before investing any $.
#26
30th January 2013
Old 30th January 2013
  #26
Lives for gear
 
Nahuel's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,689

Nahuel is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
3000 and 60 are tighter than all the new ones except the 4000. Have a look at the Innerclock site.
ok, did not know about that but I didnt express my point properly. I was saying that a daw with a good pci soundcard have very little to no internal midi jitter, in the other hand mpcs have internal midi jitter. But I ll be honest, I didnt test this myself, I got this information in here...do you know about that?
__________________
SoundCloud
#27
30th January 2013
Old 30th January 2013
  #27
Geariophile
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: london
Posts: 14,245

Karloff70 is online now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahuel View Post
ok, did not know about that but I didnt express my point properly. I was saying that a daw with a good pci soundcard have very little to no internal midi jitter, in the other hand mpcs have internal midi jitter. But I ll be honest, I didnt test this myself, I got this information in here...do you know about that?
When you run soft stuff inside the DAW it's superbly accurate timing, only when you try to run midi hardware you're stuffed as DAW's sending midi over usb just sucks.

There seem to be 3 options to combat this that I have seen mentioned.

1. Run a hardware sequencer and sync it to the DAW with the Innerclock gear.
2. Taking Expert Sleepers ES-4 and making it turn an audio output on your interface into a rock solid MIDI output.
3. Using Copperlan with the Alyseum interfaces.

I haven't tried either although I am likely to try the Copperlan vibe as it's cheap. Just waiting to receive my MPC4000 and I will fit an Alex interface in its back some time, which hopefully will integrate it effectively with the DAW.
#28
30th January 2013
Old 30th January 2013
  #28
Lives for gear
 
Nahuel's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,689

Nahuel is offline
Ok, thanks for the infomations.
#29
31st January 2013
Old 31st January 2013
  #29
Lives for gear
 
ForWerd's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 807

ForWerd is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVman View Post
What do you guys think is a far price for a used 2500?
You shouldn't spend more than $750 for a used MPC2500 in really good condition. Most should have the 128MB RAM upgrade, but if it doesn't you can buy it on eBay for about $12 , it's as good as the expensive stuff.
#30
31st January 2013
Old 31st January 2013
  #30
Lives for beer
 
tdot's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: tdot
Posts: 1,047

tdot is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVman View Post
I'm just used to the work flow of the MPC and the crunchy hard ass sound of the drums off there and the tight sequencing. The hands on feels and the live playing is for me.

PC based beat making just feels so cold and calculated compared to live bangin out tracks.
I want a 3000

If I could just find one for around $600 ......
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 
 
Topic:
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Dopamine / So much gear, so little time!
124
Clueless / So much gear, so little time!
1

Forum Jump

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.