Login / Register

Pensado: how i mix snoop's vocals (youtube tutorial)
New Reply
Subscribe
GJ999x
29th January 2013
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

Pensado: how i mix snoop's vocals (youtube tutorial)

I'm sure many of you have seen this but in case not it's a great little tut on mixing rap vocals, so many ideas here and you can hear the results.

It's even got a guest appearance from Beyonce!

29th January 2013
Old 29th January 2013
Gear addict

Send a message via Skype™ to sbechristos
I know this vid seen it a few month ago, the beyonce call is hilarious, I love dave and his team, great stuff fo sho
29th January 2013
Old 29th January 2013
Banned

The B3yonce fall is worth a special nod. I also laughed when that happened.
29th January 2013
Old 29th January 2013
Gear maniac

Dave is definitely a great guy. I think one of a handful of mentors that I can say I actually learned something from.

29th January 2013
Old 29th January 2013
Geariophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModernMixing View Post
Dave is definitely a great guy. I think one of a handful of mentors that I can say I actually learned something from.
Wow, really? You can't have met many people. You can learn as much from a student as from a mentor.
29th January 2013
Old 29th January 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Wow, really? You can't have met many people. You can learn as much from a student as from a mentor.

Student or not. In this industry not everyone gets the opportunity to have a great mentor, I was fortunate to have one. Regardless... I'm very thankful Dave's willing to take all the time to share his incredible talent and engineering skills.
29th January 2013
Old 29th January 2013
Geariophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Basie View Post
Student or not. In this industry not everyone gets the opportunity to have a great mentor, I was fortunate to have one. Regardless... I'm very thankful Dave's willing to take all the time to share his incredible talent and engineering skills.
Please don't misunderstand. I am very good with someone like Pensado pouring out the knowledge. This is great stuff. I was merely reacting to the idea of someone being of the opinion that there had only been 'a handful' of people that he had actually learned anything from. In my reality that is preposterous.
29th January 2013
Old 29th January 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Yes I have talked and worked with many people and I do learn from both sides of the fence in being a student and a teacher. That being said when I was actually learning to mix either people that I met wouldn't give up their "secrets" or the stuff I read in books and online was pure CRAP, none of it worked. I'm sorry to say it so bluntly. There are great people on forums and the net who divulge some useful info but there is SOOOO much more crap that gets recycled and regurgitated. Thats my point. My biggest learning came from mostly practise but also by cutting out the crap once I read Interviews from Dave and other great engineers. Also by speaking with Dave on the phone I felt like he was one of the few that were actually steering me, and others, in the right direction. He wanted others to succeed, while other "mentors" didnt want you to take their job. Thats all!
29th January 2013
Old 29th January 2013
Geariophile

Anyone any good knows you can't 'be them' just because they show you a few tricks.

Sent from my GT-I5800 using Gearslutz App
29th January 2013
Old 29th January 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Anyone any good knows you can't 'be them' just because they show you a few tricks.

Sent from my GT-I5800 using Gearslutz App
It has nothing to do with tricks. Its about a complete mindset in regards to mixing. Most people in the world dont have a chance to work along side someone whos respected in industry, especially with studios dropping like flies. And in the maze of online and hardcover content it really is hard to find someone who not only teaches, but understands the mindset. That's why Dave is great at helping young engineers. He is the closet thing some people have to a real mentor and to think otherwise is pretty ignorant.
29th January 2013
Old 29th January 2013
Geariophile

Quote:
It has nothing to do with tricks. Its about a complete mindset in regards to mixing. Most people in the world dont have a chance to work along side someone whos respected in industry, especially with studios dropping like flies. And in the maze of online and hardcover content it really is hard to find someone who not only teaches, but understands the mindset. That's why Dave is great at helping young engineers. He is the closet thing some people have to a real mentor and to think otherwise is pretty ignorant.
I'm not sure what you're responding to. I said what I said in response to you mentioning guys who were not wanting to 'give away their secrets', nor wanted others to do well....tricks, secrets...bla bla, same thing. All I said is that anyone who is any good is safe in the knowledge that whatever 'secrets' he hands on will never make the guy you hand them to be able to do it how you do it anyway, so giving is always good.

You don't have to explain to me why Pensado is sharing or that it is a good thing. Obviously it is. Oh and thanks for calling me ignorant. For whatever reason.
29th January 2013
Old 29th January 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
In my reality that is preposterous.
That is an ignorant statement. My "opinion", as you like to call it, was actually my experience.

I put "secrets" in brackets as to almost make fun of it in a way because there aren't any but some do treat them that way.

You obviously only know your own "reality" because there is some kid in timbucktwo trying to learn to be a better engineer and doesnt have access to the people or knowledge that you may have been fortunate enough to receive. Hence my statements on the internet and Dave P. You just assume that because you are blessed that everyone must be as well. Its like a rich kid saying "You mean there's actually poor people in the world? Not where I'm from so it must not be true"

It is a reality that there are lots of people who cant get good honest information and I truly believe that is a HUGE reason why people like Dave started his show. Even though he calaims its because of his "Ego" sometimes, which I find hilarious lol

When I said you were ignorant I didnt mean it in a malicious way, its just true, you are unaware. No Big Deal.
29th January 2013
Old 29th January 2013
Geariophile

Quote:
That is an ignorant statement. You obviously only know your own "reality" so some kid in timbucktwo trying to learn to be a better engineer doesnt have access to the people or knowledge that you may have been fortunate enough to receive. Hence my statements on the internet and Dave P. You just assume that because you are blessed that everyone must be as well. Its like a rich kid saying "You mean there's actually poor people in the world? Not where I'm from so it must not be true"

I didnt mean it in a malicious way, it just means that you arent aware thats all.
lol....wow. You are the new projection champion. Really. You completely missed my point and made up a whole new angle that I am supposedly on.

The thing I reacted to in the beginning was your arrogant statement of there only ever having been a handful of people who were able to teach you something. In my reality that's bullshit. Pompous bullshit. Never said a word of bad about Dave. Why would I? Jesus.
GJ999x
29th January 2013
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

Great debate guys... time to take it outside though perhaps

@modernmixing: Great vids btw, will def. be checking those out in more detail. Nice site as well (that ferric tape thing isnt available on AU though if i remember rite....)
29th January 2013
Old 29th January 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
lol....wow. You are the new projection champion. Really. You completely missed my point and made up a whole new angle that I am supposedly on.

The thing I reacted to in the beginning was your arrogant statement of there only ever having been a handful of people who were able to teach you something. In my reality that's bullshit. Pompous bullshit. Never said a word of bad about Dave. Why would I? Jesus.
This is true you have never said anything bad about Dave and I didnt claim you did so thumbs up

There we go again with "Your reality". Im speaking from my experience with learning useful information coming from a few people, its not arrogance. Im far from that. I offer a lot of my time to a lot of people. In no way am I saying someone else cant learn something from a thousand engineers, but you seem to think its absurb one person can only learn from a few. I dont get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ999x View Post
@modernmixing: Great vids btw, will def. be checking those out in more detail. Nice site as well (that ferric tape thing isnt available on AU though if i remember rite....)
Thanks dude!!

AU, dont think so.
29th January 2013
Old 29th January 2013
Geariophile

Quote:
....... but you seem to think its absurb one person can only learn from a few. I dont get it.
Yes, I do. And no, you don't. Your loss on both counts. No probs, best wishes.
30th January 2013
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

I think the wording of something may have thrown Karloff off, I think he meant to say that he "has" only learned from a few people as opposed to "can".

Nevertheless great video OP.

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search