Prophet 12
New Reply
Subscribe
Schwarzenegger
26th January 2013
Old 26th January 2013
Banned

Prophet 12

This thing looks like such a beast and sounds amazing. You know you're a big boy when you get one of these. I was unsure of getting the prophet 08, but now I'm positive about the 12. I can't get over it.

Sent from my DROID X2
27th January 2013
Old 27th January 2013
Gear addict

I've never owned a hardware synth, but if I ever get rich I'd probably get this and a Moog.
I think I even know how to program them after all these years of playing around with my Pro 52 and Pro53 Vsts.
If only I were rich tho...........
27th January 2013
Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwarzenegger View Post
This thing looks like such a beast and sounds amazing. You know you're a big boy when you get one of these. I was unsure of getting the prophet 08, but now I'm positive about the 12. I can't get over it.

Sent from my DROID X2
Gonna check out a few demos, haven't heard it yet but reviews are that it is stellar, wonder how it compares to the old prophet 5. Was thinking about a prophet 8 but was sorely disappointed when I heard it.
27th January 2013
Old 27th January 2013
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Aristocrat View Post
Gonna check out a few demos, haven't heard it yet but reviews are that it is stellar, wonder how it compares to the old prophet 5. Was thinking about a prophet 8 but was sorely disappointed when I heard it.
Well, the Prophet 8 is a beast but the stock patches you might have heard weren't all that. I also wasn't extremely impressed by the patches.

This new one is much better because it has a sub oscillator to add that fatness to the sound and it has 4 oscillators per voice and 12 voices. It can create massive sounds.

It's expensive though. $3,000 is some change. I figure if I buy this in the future, it will be one of those synths I learn in and out and a workhorse for epic leads, pads, basses. I think this thing can cover all your poly needs.
28th January 2013
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well, the Prophet 8 is a beast but the stock patches you might have heard weren't all that. I also wasn't extremely impressed by the patches.

This new one is much better because it has a sub oscillator to add that fatness to the sound and it has 4 oscillators per voice and 12 voices. It can create massive sounds.

It's expensive though. $3,000 is some change. I figure if I buy this in the future, it will be one of those synths I learn in and out and a workhorse for epic leads, pads, basses. I think this thing can cover all your poly needs.
Yeah I caught a demo early this morning and I'm really liking the way this thing sounds, the guy on the demo really new his stuff. I am in need of a new synth at any rate and it was either this or the new sub phatty.
Schwarzenegger
28th January 2013
Old 28th January 2013
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Aristocrat View Post
Yeah I caught a demo early this morning and I'm really liking the way this thing sounds, the guy on the demo really new his stuff. I am in need of a new synth at any rate and it was either this or the new sub phatty.
The sub phatty I was looking at too. I'm not sure if you could replace the moog with the prophet, but I think it would be a nice addition to the Prophet. Very exciting year for analog stuff.
28th January 2013
Old 28th January 2013
Banned

So, Is the prophet 12 oscillators digital or analog? To be honest I think it sounds weak.
28th January 2013
Old 28th January 2013
Banned

Matter factly in dundee voice, "Thats not a synth, This is a synth":

I'ma buy this one day, and I'ma justify it by criticizing those that spend $50,000 on a breitling watch.
Schwarzenegger
28th January 2013
Old 28th January 2013
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesEdward View Post
So, Is the prophet 12 oscillators digital or analog? To be honest I think it sounds weak.
So you show me a video of a synth that doesn't sound as powerful as the Prophet 12. Are you sure you're not high?
28th January 2013
Old 28th January 2013
Banned

Quote:
So you show me a video of a synth that doesn't sound as powerful as the Prophet 12. Are you sure you're not high?
Nah, I'm on an i7 3770k with 16gb of ram. You want 2 pay 3 grand for digital oscillators go ahead, I'm good.
29th January 2013
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

That things about 20 stacks and you better have 4 eyes to program that thing!

I 'd buy a prophet 8 and andromeda and call it a day!
29th January 2013
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Child View Post

Good luck finding an A6 for a cheap price
29th January 2013
Old 29th January 2013
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Child View Post

Prophet 8 is on the list, but will probably go with the mopho 4x first.
29th January 2013
Old 29th January 2013
Gear nut

Speaking of Prophets, does anybody know about this?

http://createdigitalmusic.com/files/...nammsat_19.jpg

Looks like a prophet 5 clone, desktop version. I hope it's a direct copy (analog) with MIDI and is affordable...hopefully not just another VA like the creamware one. The Juno 106 filter pedal is a pretty cool idea...
18th March 2013
Old 18th March 2013
Gear interested

I think it looks awesome of sound design, did the 08 have digital Osc? I'd love an Andy but not for 2.5g with no support not even 3rd party synth engineers would touch that fooker.
31st May 2013
Old 31st May 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesEdward View Post
It's obvious how weak it sounds compared to analog, but that's the case with almost all digital trying to be analog.
31st May 2013
Old 31st May 2013
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexfx69 View Post
It's obvious how weak it sounds compared to analog, but that's the case with almost all digital trying to be analog.

Ok youtube warrior.
31st May 2013
Old 31st May 2013
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Ramsey View Post
Ok youtube warrior.
31st May 2013
Old 31st May 2013
Lives for gear

Hmmm, I own multiple Dave Smith Synthesizers...

I'm pretty darn sure he wouldn't make a "Weak Sounding Synth" whether Digital or Analogue.

Dave Smith is great, he pushes boundaries. He knows what analog can do, he also knows analog has limitations (technology and price) so he creates instruments like the Evolver that really shine showing how Digital and Analog can come together and showcase both of their strengths.

Anyone who says digital is weak or not as good as analog doesn't understand there really is no comparison. They're different tools for different jobs, they aren't in the perpetual competition so many try to put them in.

Also the Prophet 08's oscillators are all Digitally Controlled Analog Oscillators.

RACK: MR816CSX/Presonus Eureka/PRE73+EQ73/Valley People Dynamite/Ashly CL52E & PQX571/DBX 166A/VLA PRO

PEDALS: Moogerfooger MF102 RingModulator, Way Huge Aqua Puss MKII, Way Huge Green Rhino MKII, EHX Big Muff

http://soundcloud.com/godsons
31st May 2013
Old 31st May 2013
Lives for gear

the P12 looks really cool - not sure I've been blown away by the demo's I've heard yet, but on paper it sounds cool - in some demo's it sounds nice and harsh like the Memorymoog (that I own).

there are cheap poly's galore out there - now is the time to buy 2nd hand vintage synths

I posted this list of cheap synths on another thread if its of any help

Polys:
Yamaha DX7IIFD/TX802
Yamaha An1x
Novation SuperNova 2
Ensoniq ESQ-1 with modded RAM cart
Roland D50/D550
Casio CZ1
Korg PolySix (if at good price)
Juno 6
JP8000
JD800
Virus C

Polys can be had cheap, esp rack ones - good monos are expensive.

with your budget I could get a more expensive Mono (monopoly, pro one, SEM pro), and a cheaper Poly.

a Pro One and a DX7IIFD would carry you really far for example.

or one of these cheaper mono's:
Micro Moog
Creamware Minimax
Studio Electronics SE1/SE1x - ATC1/ATC-X
Jen SX100
Shruthi
ARP AXXE
Korg 700s

"Kid, I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to make me believe there's one all-powerful Mojo controlling everything. There's no mystical Mojo that controls my destiny. Anyway, it's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense."

Keep on keeping on,
Frank
31st May 2013
Old 31st May 2013
Lives for gear

I wouldn't say Dave Smith is pushing any boundaries with this one. Even when he did this concept originally back in 1986 with the Prophet VS it was a step behind the wavetable stuff that PPG had done in years prior. And way behind what Roland was coming out with in '87. There just happens to be enough synth fanboys out there to justify reproducing old fashioned technology. Props to him for making knobby synths at least, unlike Waldorf.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search