New Reply
Subscribe
Kingsta
23rd January 2013
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear interested

Starting out advice.

Hey,

I've been reading forums for a while trying to pickup information here and there and then i finally decided to make an account and post here as im not very knowledgable regarding the production side.

Currently i use a very basic setup, with a USB Samson C10u microphone plugged straight into my laptop and recording into garageband. I wanted to improve my setup, equipment wise.

This is what my music sounds like now, Aceboy's Official Music Channel - YouTube

I was hoping for some information on better mics, pre-amps, sound cards etc.

Thank You,

Every reply is appreciated!
24th January 2013
Old 24th January 2013
Gear maniac

Hey man.
I think the reason why no one has replied to your thread is because these threads come up all time and some are tired of replying the same thing. That said my advice is to find your price range and type in to gearslutz "best mic for under $xxx". Grab some popcorn and start reading. You'll find so much information you wont be able to sleep.
I use API's, I like them. If you want something thats a more all-in-one for a good price..I like the RME stuff.

Kingsta
24th January 2013
Old 24th January 2013
Gear interested

oh ok,

thanks for that!

*puts popcorn in the microwave*
24th January 2013
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsta View Post
oh ok,

thanks for that!

*puts popcorn in the microwave*
Great attitude to have 'round these parts! ????
24th January 2013
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

The sky is the limit, a budget is helpful, it's also helpful to know if their is any gear you are interested in. As is, almost anything could be an improvement, where do you feel you need most?
Kingsta
24th January 2013
Old 24th January 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd Degree View Post
The sky is the limit, a budget is helpful, it's also helpful to know if their is any gear you are interested in. As is, almost anything could be an improvement, where do you feel you need most?
My budget is around $400-500 dollars. I wanted to invest in a recording setup, with a mic, pre-amp etc. but i dont really know much. I've seen a lot of people suggesting a lot of different mic's on forums and its kind of overwhelming lol.

At the moment, my microphone pick's up a lot of white noise and i think it's getting old as the quality is fading as well. To be honest i was perfectly happy with this mic (samson c10u) for the time being, but i want to take my music to the next level having a microphone that keeps crackling is really annoying!
25th January 2013
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsta View Post
My budget is around $400-500 dollars. I wanted to invest in a recording setup, with a mic, pre-amp etc. but i dont really know much. I've seen a lot of people suggesting a lot of different mic's on forums and its kind of overwhelming lol.

At the moment, my microphone pick's up a lot of white noise and i think it's getting old as the quality is fading as well. To be honest i was perfectly happy with this mic (samson c10u) for the time being, but i want to take my music to the next level having a microphone that keeps crackling is really annoying!
Your budget is pretty limited in terms of buying really nice stuff. That doesn't mean their is room to upgrade but it's going to be a budget setup.

You really have the budget for an entry level interface and a usable mic.

I personally like my Profire 2626 for the money. You probably don't need a bunch of ins and outs so I think a Profire 610 would be a good choice. Others may suggest a different interface, it's really not crazy different in this price range and most offer similar features/specs in this price range. That's about how much money you should be looking at, more or less, given your budget.

That's $250 right there.

Then the mic. With budget mics, it's so hard to recommend without working with someone. There are popular choices among Shure, MXL, Rode, Studio Projects, Sterling Audio, etc. That is likely the rest of your budget.

I can't recommend a preamp that fits your entire price range, much less something that would fit into buying the interface and mic as well.

That's my thoughts, others will likely have other opinions.
25th January 2013
Old 25th January 2013
Gear Head

I think some studying and trying to learn more mixing techniques would be a great help. If your budget for everything is $500, you can get a decent mix, pre, and interface but, at the end of the day it's the way you mix your records down that will make all the difference.

I'd suggest doing some ebay search and craigslist. I always find great equipment in good condition for cheap!
25th January 2013
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

I would not go for the 2626, I got one, the firewire mess up the stability, it useable as a stand alone converter but the drivers suck...

If I was you Id just keep the samson for now and Id keep saving to get something really good...

RME is nice...save for a babyface, cheaper interface do work but the babyface is a professional tool, at that price point there is pretty much no competition and you have to spend a lot more for the next level...

mic: you could spend time trying to find something that fits you voice...could be whatever really...

or you could stick to the classic workhorses: sm7 (can work in an untreated room), u87 (need a treated room).

pre: use your interface until you can afford a neve clone.
26th January 2013
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

Been there, done that.
My advice is to get the best you can get within a certain price range. IMO there is a certain price range you have to hit to get gear that is out of the cheap crap section; and eventually you get to a range where you are paying big bucks for really small enhancements.

With your budget you could do something like this
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 | Sweetwater.com
with this
Rode NT1-A | Sweetwater.com

Personally, I would save up for something like an Apogee Duet or a Babyface; which will give you superior preamps and converters. The advantage of buying a nice interface is most bedroom studio guys don't have the budget for outboard preamps and converters; so buying a great interface that already has good preamps and converters gives you a serious bang for the buck, and helps future proof your setup.

You can spend anything on a mic, I recommend a dynamic mic and find that condensers are very finnicky until you hit a certain price scale on them.

For what it's worth I don't think any outboard gear makes a difference given you have a great song and performer. You can record a great singer with a camera phone and they will still sound good. That's why I recommend investing in a really good interface and mic, and not worrying about extras like outboard preamps and other hardware gear.

I just recently put some money into my studio and believe that it's worth investing in gear. A $200 interface will certainly be an upgrade from what you have now, but a lot of times it just leaves you wanting more and wondering how much better that $500 interface would be. Remember, it costs more to buy that $200 interface only to be unhappy and later buy that $500 interface then it would have been to just save for the more expensive interface.

I do the Sweetwater 3 Payment Plan so I dont have to pay all at once.
26th January 2013
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverted314 View Post
Been there, done that.
My advice is to get the best you can get within a certain price range. IMO there is a certain price range you have to hit to get gear that is out of the cheap crap section; and eventually you get to a range where you are paying big bucks for really small enhancements.

With your budget you could do something like this
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 | Sweetwater.com
with this
Rode NT1-A | Sweetwater.com

Personally, I would save up for something like an Apogee Duet or a Babyface; which will give you superior preamps and converters. The advantage of buying a nice interface is most bedroom studio guys don't have the budget for outboard preamps and converters; so buying a great interface that already has good preamps and converters gives you a serious bang for the buck, and helps future proof your setup.

You can spend anything on a mic, I recommend a dynamic mic and find that condensers are very finnicky until you hit a certain price scale on them.

For what it's worth I don't think any outboard gear makes a difference given you have a great song and performer. You can record a great singer with a camera phone and they will still sound good. That's why I recommend investing in a really good interface and mic, and not worrying about extras like outboard preamps and other hardware gear.

I just recently put some money into my studio and believe that it's worth investing in gear. A $200 interface will certainly be an upgrade from what you have now, but a lot of times it just leaves you wanting more and wondering how much better that $500 interface would be. Remember, it costs more to buy that $200 interface only to be unhappy and later buy that $500 interface then it would have been to just save for the more expensive interface.

I do the Sweetwater 3 Payment Plan so I dont have to pay all at once.
Good advice here
26th January 2013
Old 26th January 2013
Gear addict

You may want to consider a Shure SM-7.

From what I understand it's a classic. Other cheap mics you are likely to outgrow them. The SM-7 will always be useful for some situations.

Or so I've read. Just a thought.

Sent from my Droid
Kingsta
27th January 2013
Old 27th January 2013
Gear interested

Thank you for all the advice! I'm checking out all the products you guys have so kindly recommended.

Please keep the advice coming, i can never get enough! :D
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search