Synth for an Indian Sample
Old 12th January 2013
Gear nut

Synth for an Indian Sample

Hey guys,

I'm currently doing a mix using an Indian sample. Automatically I've turned to Timbaland's previous material for inspiration (especially Bubba Sparxx's album and a few old Timbo+Magoo stuff). I like the drum sounds in some of the mixes, they knock but still have that good midrangeyness to complement samples.

Anyway, to the point, I bought Shock Value the moment it came out a few years ago thinking that this was the best thing for hip-hop since The Chronic (in terms of the sounds) though, the mixing on that album was terrible (horrible distortion etc...). So I popped the CD on yesterday and played Bombay. Two things I love about this track is the change of snare tone in the 4 bar loop and the actual synth in the chorus.

My questions are:

1) How does one get the snare to knock like that even with all that midrangeyness. I've got the basis of my snare to sound similar but I like the way Timbo's one punches through the track.

2) I've always wondered how to replicate that synth in the chorus but never been bothered to ask. Is there anyone who could give me some tips for it as I feel it will work well in the mix I'm doing.

The actual Timbo song is below:

Timbaland - Bombay (feat. Amar & Jim Beanz) - YouTube

Thanks,

Omzz
Old 12th January 2013
Lives for gear

A rim shot usually, but that is something else that appears to have been in a live setting. I'm just trying to think of what makes that sound. It could be a pen hitting wood? It has that plastic vs wood kind of resonance.

I dunno, but along those lines. Notice how the varied snare hits elp give the track a bit more character.

I hope this helps a little. Short sharp hit could pierce through pretty well.
Old 12th January 2013
Gear nut

Yeah, to me it sounds like the same kind of room that the drums for Give It To Me was recorded. Similar kind of room resonance.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search