How to begin making Trap beats
xBOBxSAGETx
2nd January 2013
Old 2nd January 2013
Gear interested

How to begin making Trap beats

Okay, I come from the metal spectrum of audio engineering/producing. So me and my buddy want to collab and try and make trap beats. Now my main DAW is Reaper. Is there some sort of VSTi out there that's like Superior Drummer where I can just produce these beats on piano roll without the a MIDI controller?

I've seen some sample packs here and there, where are people loading them into?

Could someone break all of that down for me step by step?

Trying to go for this sound

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2pBpzMqvBk
2nd January 2013
Old 2nd January 2013
Gear maniac

there are loads of how to make trap beat vids on YT.
2nd January 2013
Old 2nd January 2013
Gear Head

first of all practice on making drum pattern especially hihats....
2nd January 2013
Old 2nd January 2013
Lives for gear

Look up Kid Urban on YouTube. He has some ok videos on making Trap Beats (FL Studio though, not Reaper).
3rd January 2013
Old 3rd January 2013
Gear nut

3rd January 2013
Old 3rd January 2013
Gear interested

The best way to start producing Trap music is to set the tempo to 70 or 140bpm. Start layering a drum pattern, and then add some synths and build from there

Sent from my GT-I9300
3rd January 2013
Old 3rd January 2013
Gear addict

Go to the hood and get inspired , if that doesn't work you should focus on metal
3rd January 2013
Old 3rd January 2013
Gear nut

FL Studio. Appears you can Rewire it into Reaper. Or just use FL Studio on its own.

Personally, I'm not a fan of trap or a step sequencer-type application. But for that style it would be a no-brainer, because of the easy step sequencer interface and included synths. It's stupid intuitive. Check out the demo.
3rd January 2013
Old 3rd January 2013
I EAT VINYL FOR DINNER

no more trap beats plz i beg you lol ahahaha
3rd January 2013
Old 3rd January 2013
Lives for gear

Just don't. ;-)
3rd January 2013
Old 3rd January 2013
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhager84 View Post
Just don't. ;-)

unless its that new wave electro trap stuff
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

How to be a trap producer.

Step 1: Download FL Studio

CONGRATULATIONS YOU ARE NOW A TRAP PRODUCER!
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
Gear maniac

i think that the "core" of a trap beat is the arp. Mostly, are Minor composition, so the key is to find maybe first a "round" than an arrangement working on that. Sometimes the "chorus" is just a 4bar loop, maybe with same notes as the verse but played by another instrument. it's kind of un common. personally, an example of trap beats are that two:

Flosstradamus - Roll up (Baauer remix)
Flosstradamus - Rollup (Baauer Remix) - YouTube

Rick Ross ft. Meek Mill - So Sophisticated
Rick Ross - So Sophisticated (Explicit) ft. Meek Mill - YouTube

quite different, but both focusing the target of the productions.

my 2
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
Gear addict

Learn the harmonic minor scale for epic spookiness
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
Lives for gear

Metal and trap are closely related music wise.
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
Gear addict

In what way? Chords?
5th January 2013
Old 5th January 2013
Gear Head

Like someone said FL studio is the easiest program I feel to make trap beats with but, you can make them on any program that allow you to change your quantized rate to 1/64 and you can draw in notes. I can make those hi hat rolls in reason,cubase and even on my iPod with a program called nanostudio. Bpm typically between 70 to 85. If you know basic synthesis you can program some of the synth sounds. The string sounds can come from a vst or sample library pack. Trap music is not difficult to make but listen to a good deal of it because the drums change, drop out, etc. hope this helps
5th January 2013
Old 5th January 2013
Lives for gear

to begin making trap beats is easy - what seems to be difficult for people is to stop making trap beats.
5th January 2013
Old 5th January 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncoak View Post
to begin making trap beats is easy - what seems to be difficult for people is to stop making trap beats.
If only we could learn to stop. Ahhh how I wish it would stop.
14th January 2013
Old 14th January 2013
Gear Head

Listen to Shawty Redd. He has a really good vid on Youtube where he makes a killer loop begining to end in about 15 min. I recommed investing into his sample pack. His kicks and 808 are some of the best I heard.
14th January 2013
Old 14th January 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambience View Post
How to be a trap producer.

Step 1: Download FL Studio

CONGRATULATIONS YOU ARE NOW A TRAP PRODUCER!
Lol!!! You for got to mention to put a kicks on step 1&6 and a snare on step 9,hihats on 16ths, and riff machine to throw dice. Now you definitely a Trap producer.
14th January 2013
Old 14th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderdan View Post
In what way? Chords?
More so tones
17th January 2013
Old 17th January 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealatosis View Post
If only we could learn to stop. Ahhh how I wish it would stop.
I dont understand the hate on trap music. You are already in the Hip-Hop forum, on top of that you click the trap thread, then you bash it? Hypocrites.

Anyways I found the best way(for me) was to listen and dissect songs from big trap producers like Lex Lugar...who happens to have come from fruity loops to producing one of Kanye and Jay-z biggest songs on the watch the throne album.(That one was for the haters)
17th January 2013
Old 17th January 2013
Lives for gear

It's because "TRAP" is not hip hop, or rap; It's just garbage.
17th January 2013
Old 17th January 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doefat04 View Post
I dont understand the hate on trap music. You are already in the Hip-Hop forum, on top of that you click the trap thread, then you bash it? Hypocrites.

Anyways I found the best way(for me) was to listen and dissect songs from big trap producers like Lex Lugar...who happens to have come from fruity loops to producing one of Kanye and Jay-z biggest songs on the watch the throne album.(That one was for the haters)
I think a lot of people that were producing before trap beats became mainstream dislike it because it has to be done so completely different than the beats that they've been producing.

They often are harder to mix than old-school east coast style beats because of the crazy amount of instruments & sounds you can put in them.
Some folks are putting damn near full orchestras in trap beats, along with all the other synthesizers leads, organs, and pianos you'd expect in southern music.
Drum programming can be a nightmare as well, instead setting up a 1 hi hat, 1 kick, 1 snare with maybe 2 - 4 measures worth of change ups.

In trap music you might be setting up 2 different hi hats, a snare and a clap, and several kick drums that are going up and down a scale some of time with 8 measures or more worth of change ups.

I've been making beats since late 2001 and I honestly thought about giving it up because I didn't feel like there was anyway I could get a hang of producing trap music. I didn't of course, because I love music, but its been a long transition for me.

My suggestions for creating Trap music would be to use FL Studio, at least for the drum programming, especially since trap beats were born in FL.
Set the tempo in FL between 120 bpm - 160 bpm. That will make the tempo of your project between 60 bpm - 80 bpm. Tempo wise trap music is very slow, the energy and pace is often dictated by the speed of the hi hats, syncopated snare patterns and fast moving riffs that make it seem much faster. I usually create the basic drum patterns in the step sequencer, then clone them to make change ups/drumfills usually on the 4th and or 8th measure. You also can start basic programming in the step sequencer and when you need to get more in depth, left click the channel your working on and send whatever you were doing in the step sequencer to the piano roll.
Hopefully somebody understood all that.
lol
17th January 2013
Old 17th January 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhager84 View Post
It's because "TRAP" is not hip hop, or rap; It's just garbage.
Oh ok. That makes total sense. Great argument.
17th January 2013
Old 17th January 2013
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildStyle View Post

I've been making beats since late 2001 and I honestly thought about giving it up because I didn't feel like there was anyway I could get a hang of producing trap music. I didn't of course, because I love music, but its been a long transition for me.
I feel you on that. It's tough makin trap beats, especially if you don't use FL. I was a Reason dude for a long time and I just recently got into Ableton, which definitely improved my drum game. In Ableton you can arpeggiate individual drum samples in the drum rack to whatever tempo you want.

I tried, tried, and tried to get used to FL studio, but that program just makes me not want to make music. Everything is so small and dark. It's a drag for me.
17th January 2013
Old 17th January 2013
Gear addict

You can make trap beats in any daw...I used to do it in maschine stand alone and I now I use studio one...stuff comes together FAST...
17th January 2013
Old 17th January 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwarzenegger View Post
I feel you on that. It's tough makin trap beats, especially if you don't use FL. I was a Reason dude for a long time and I just recently got into Ableton, which definitely improved my drum game. In Ableton you can arpeggiate individual drum samples in the drum rack to whatever tempo you want.

I tried, tried, and tried to get used to FL studio, but that program just makes me not want to make music. Everything is so small and dark. It's a drag for me.
I will say its definitely a dark program. There are a few options that will lighten up some of the background, but they're buried in the menu. I complained to Image-Line about them needing to improve the UI, especially on a few of their native plugins. They just laughed at me.
Its sad because it truly is an amazing program now, especially compared to when I started using it in 2004. But I think they're more worried about adding new features for the EDM people than they are about making the ones we already have easier to use.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search