Putting sampled songs on iTunes
jbird712
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Gear Head

Putting sampled songs on iTunes

Okay, so I don't think this is the right place for this, but I think a lot of people from this forum may have had the same problem.

So, my group has some songs that we want to put up on iTunes that we've sampled from various artists (Nina Simone, monophonics, etc.) I know that there are obvious copyright infringements, but we want to put up a free album.

My question is, if we do not plan on making any money from our sampled songs is it still a violation to put them up on iTunes?
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

That depends.

Do you think its okay to copy a movie and give one to all your friends and family?

If the artist has not released their music with a Creative Commons license (most do not) then you are definitely in violation.
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

why even put it on iTunes if you aren't going to sell it? Just share it via social networks/media. Unless one of the songs gets millions of hits on youtube or something, you won't be getting any calls or letters from lawyers.
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird712 View Post
Okay, so I don't think this is the right place for this, but I think a lot of people from this forum may have had the same problem.

So, my group has some songs that we want to put up on iTunes that we've sampled from various artists (Nina Simone, monophonics, etc.) I know that there are obvious copyright infringements, but we want to put up a free album.

My question is, if we do not plan on making any money from our sampled songs is it still a violation to put them up on iTunes?
It is against the terms and conditions of I-tunes so you will not be able to. You need to own all of the content within your songs and you effectively agree to that when you submit your music to iTunes.

To do this you will need to contact the owners of the records you have sampled - I can tell you that the likes of Nina Simone will get a decline unless there is a very advance. Unlikely to give away for free. It's not a matter of whether you want to earn or not, it's a matter of the copyright owners protecting and controlling their copyrights.
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by aproblem View Post
why even put it on iTunes if you aren't going to sell it? Just share it via social networks/media. Unless one of the songs gets millions of hits on youtube or something, you won't be getting any calls or letters from lawyers.
Whilst this may or may not be socially correct it is unwise to post this as advice in print. You are now liable for that advice!! Be careful - saying something down the pub is not the same as putting it in print; even on a forum.
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Lives for gear

I don't think you can put a free album on iTunes and you technically can't put up samples either. Use Bandcamp and call it a day...
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by azwun25 View Post
I don't think you can put a free album on iTunes and you technically can't put up samples either. Use Bandcamp and call it a day...
Bandcamp won't allow songs with uncleared samples (at least they don't once they know!).
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman View Post
Bandcamp won't allow songs with uncleared samples (at least they don't once they know!).
Much less likely to have issues with Bandcamp than with iTunes and honestly, I think we are arguing semantics here. None of these sites technically "allow" it. Just get your music out there the best way you can. Most of all, make good music.
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Lives for gear

Also,
Unless that song is making a nice amount of bread, Nina Simone doesn't give a frogs fat ass about your little joint and lets not argue the moral implications of sampling. If you find sampling morally questionable, you have no business in the hiphop forum. Period.
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman View Post
Whilst this may or may not be socially correct it is unwise to post this as advice in print. You are now liable for that advice!! Be careful - saying something down the pub is not the same as putting it in print; even on a forum.
haha. not worried about it.
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by azwun25 View Post
Also,
Unless that song is making a nice amount of bread, Nina Simone doesn't give a frogs fat ass about your little joint and lets not argue the moral implications of sampling. If you find sampling morally questionable, you have no business in the hiphop forum. Period.
Doing my job, buddy, doing my job. Nothing to do with samples, to do with uncleared copyrights.
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Lives for gear

The song is clipping
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search