New Reply
Subscribe
CRSSLNE
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Gear interested

Mix Bus Compression in Grime

Hi all,

I'm in the middle stage of writing a research project investigating the effects of mix bus compression on cohesiveness and intensity within grime production. All I'm really looking to find out at this stage is if anybody is currently using the technique in grime productions, and if so, why. If anyone has a spare few minutes I'd really appreciate any input you have on the subject.

How often do you incorporate Mix Bus Compression in your mixes?
What are your main reasons for using Bus Compression?
Do you have a favourite compressor plugin or even compressor circuit type that you use?
What kind of settings do you tend to use on the compressor?

thanks in advance
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

I was in the studio last night with Dizzee. SSL master buss comp. We were actually playing with limiter to SSL then soft clipping on the way back into pro tools. It was an interesting sound.

But the SSL comp doing about 3db / 4db of reduction really hit the spot. The slower attack brought out the punch and timing the release and threshold to sort of groove with the track just enhanced the bounce. And just the tone of hitting it sounded good.

But a lot of the grime scene was very grass roots. People didn't necessarily have technical polish on their mix chops. It was really emulation of that original dub sound and just trying to make the records work. So there's no set way.

Mixing tutorials: Mixing Hip-Hop and Mixing with Compression

Drum samples: The Maio Collection

Mixing articles: The Pro Audio Files

30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storyville View Post
I was in the studio last night with Dizzee. SSL master buss comp. We were actually playing with limiter to SSL then soft clipping on the way back into pro tools. It was an interesting sound.

But the SSL comp doing about 3db / 4db of reduction really hit the spot. The slower attack brought out the punch and timing the release and threshold to sort of groove with the track just enhanced the bounce. And just the tone of hitting it sounded good.

But a lot of the grime scene was very grass roots. People didn't necessarily have technical polish on their mix chops. It was really emulation of that original dub sound and just trying to make the records work. So there's no set way.

NICE!!!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search