Complimentary Monitors
New Reply
Subscribe
jlacck
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Gear maniac

Complimentary Monitors

Hey fellaz... just wanted to ask for some ideas on what set of monitors might be a good compliment for some KRK VXT 4 that I recently brought. I'm doing a massive upgrade in my personal studio but I'd like to add a second (and bigger) pair of monitors. Obviously with the KRKs only having a 4inch woofer, I'm looking for something that can give me a little bit more bass as well. My question is, what do you guys think might be a good complimentary pair of studio speakers?

For the record, I produce a wide range of music from jazz, to hip hop, soul and pop. My primary purpose is to do about 60% mixing, 40% pre-production. I checked out the yamaha hs-80 and honestly I didn't find myself to be too crazy about them. It didn't seem to have a tightness that I like in the bottom end. I also looked into The Adam A7s which I liked. But, I'm working in a small space so I don't think I need to spend THAT type of loot for now. This leads me to the Dynaudios bm5.

Does anybody have any first hand experience with these monitors? Do you think they'd be a good compliment to the KRK VXT 4? I'd be opened to hearing what ideas and suggestions some of you may have. Thanks in advance for othe heads up.
jlacck
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Gear maniac

I'm probably leaning more towards the dynaudios myself. My only concern is that the woofer is only 1" bigger than the krk monitors. I haven't had a chance to compare them side by side yet, but does that one inch make much of a difference?
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

I'd trade in the rockit's for a good full-range system (including sub), then invest in a pair of ns10's to check your mixes. Pretty much the standard complimentary duo.
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to azwun25 Send a message via Yahoo to azwun25
The BM5A MKII is a 6.9" woofer. Quite a big difference in low end from a VXT4. The Dynaudio is a good logical next step.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search