Favorite exposed kicks, claps, etc to chop?
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

Favorite exposed kicks, claps, etc to chop?

Been working steadily to improve my chopping and sampling skills, making progress... Instead of d/l ing a sample pack, can y'all recommend maybe some cool current songs with exposed kicks, snares etc to snag?
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

Chopping won't make your drums sound cool.

The kits i use are

SP12/1200
Vintage Drum Collection (Synth drums)
MPC - 60/2000/3000
Doru Malaia`s Ethnic Super Drums Collection (massive percussion collection)

A lot of dusty old records too. To me it doesn't matter what music it is, if their is a certain sound i'm looking for i'll take it.

Records i use

Funk/Soul/Jazz/Psych Rock/Afro/Dub and so on.
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhorsie777 View Post
Been working steadily to improve my chopping and sampling skills, making progress... Instead of d/l ing a sample pack, can y'all recommend maybe some cool current songs with exposed kicks, snares etc to snag?
In all honestly here, you would be working backwards.
First of all, the sounds you're talking about sampling have allready been mastered and tampered with for commercial release, there is only a very narrow window of processing you can apply to them.
Second of all, to get them in aiff or wav quality, you would have to buy a CD release (or vinyl) for each which is gonna be very expensive for an open kick in one song and a soloed snare in another. (iTunes is not your friend, with their acc format either)
The right sample packs are made with very little processing, in order for you to add your own touch to them.
My advice is this : Sample packs (the right ones), virtual drum instruments (Addictive drums, BFD etc) & recording your own audio (Slapping tables and kicking watercoolers for instance) is the way to get the best result.
Old 29th December 2012
I chop shit up a lot. Filter shit out. Add other filtered shit to it. Use your ears man--it's about hearing something that attracts you, grabbing it, and flipping it.
Old 29th December 2012
Gear Head

just go through your/your parents/grandparents etc. cd and vinyl collection
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
depends on your beat makin' philosophy, but as far as choppin' and sampling...
you could start with the ubb and dusty fingers series for the classics.

Ultimate Breaks and Beats - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dusty Fingers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

from that you could move on to more obscure stuff.
Old 29th December 2012
Gear maniac

When I was listening to the O.N.I.F.C. cd from Wiz Khalifa i immediately ripped the wav of that song with The Weekend, it had an open kick, snare, and percussion sound which i thought were amazing. Ive used the kick in a couple beats already.

For me, its better to not force it by going sample digging thru my cd collection, but if I happen to come accross something I write it down, and chop it later. Its unexpected like a Christmas gift.
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezionjd View Post
First of all, the sounds you're talking about sampling have allready been mastered and tampered with for commercial release, there is only a very narrow window of processing you can apply to them.
Second of all, to get them in aiff or wav quality, you would have to buy a CD release (or vinyl) for each which is gonna be very expensive for an open kick in one song and a soloed snare in another. (iTunes is not your friend, with their acc format either)
The right sample packs are made with very little processing, in order for you to add your own touch to them.
My advice is this : Sample packs (the right ones), virtual drum instruments (Addictive drums, BFD etc) & recording your own audio (Slapping tables and kicking watercoolers for instance) is the way to get the best result.
This is some serious BS man especially the part about the " very narrow window of bla bla ".
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahuel View Post
This is some serious BS man especially the part about the " very narrow window of bla bla ".
Would you like to elaborate on what is bullshit and why?
I would love to school you.
Old 29th December 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Please school me on why kicking watercoolers makes more sense than sampling a beat, im all ears.
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

Sampling drums off recent songs is weak. Music making should be an enjoyable creative exercise, not a process where you try to cut corners and arrive at a 'finished, professional product' with as little work as possible.
Old 29th December 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsowa View Post
Sampling drums off recent songs is weak. Music making should be an enjoyable creative exercise, not a process where you try to cut corners and arrive at a 'finished, professional product' with as little work as possible.
The biggest hip-hop producer I know, who works with major artists, does it. He listens to recent tracks, finds the ones where the drums really slap, and then find the isolated hits, and chops them up.

And no I'm not gonna tell you who he is but you can trust me if you want to.

His music is original and dope so who cares! And no he is not lazy, he is one of the hardest working people I know.

Sent from my Droid
Old 29th December 2012
Gear addict

Quote:

Why should an already mixed/mastered sample limit the processing? If you take a sample from the 60s or the 70s its mixed and masterd like they did back in these times and for the specific genre. It might already sound good for my (or the OP) needs. It might need processing to get the sound to fit to the other samples. I can process the hell out of it to make it fit so I don't understand what you mean.

I also can't confirm that it is expensive to get drums from vinyl. Ok it depends where you live but usually you should be able to go to the next thrisft store, flea market or neighbour and buy cheap vinyl. If you stay away from classical music and speach records you will find open drums very soon. I bought most of my records for under 1 EURO. Some stuff (even stuff with good and well known breaks like Iron Butterfly or Jeff Beck or yes we can can or Tramp) were 10 cent. Well, I must admit...although the price isn't high for 1 record it could get expensive over the time cause when the diggin virus infected you, you just can't stop buying records, you can't, you hear me.....you can't .....damn can't wait for tomorrows flea market.....damn.......

peace
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Would you like to elaborate on what is bullshit and why?
I would love to school you.
ya, you re about to explain how its impossible to touch a 'mastered' drum hit and how diggin in the crates is a waste of time and how I should buy whatever pack floats around the web (the kind of packs I got paid to build from, guess what, layered shots sampled from various sources and records).
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

Last edited by Tommycash; 1st January 2013 at 06:58 AM.. Reason: wrong thread
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

For modern tracks, yeah I would Just use sample packs.
I don't know of any off the top of my head that I would even want to sample. I'm sure theres a few that are worthy, but most modern drum sounds are from sample packs or vst's, they might be layered, but that's something you'll want to learn anyway.

You get into old school stuff I would definitely recommend sampling, chopping, etc.
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

Thanks guys… I have a pretty massive CD collection But not many current releases on CD… That's why was looking for some guidance on where to look for those more modern sounds… I am really digging a lot of 80s and 90s music for their crazy treated snares and kicks… A lot of pop music and more esoteric bands like tears for fears especially. I have several drum libraries… I'm not looking to take shortcuts… Just learned a craft and getting new inspiration from the process the matter how cumbersome… I actually just finished a new song that began its life as a chopped up sampled song that I arranged, sequenced, and ended up replaying all the instruments myself :-) I'm having a blast
Old 29th December 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnypete View Post
The biggest hip-hop producer I know, who works with major artists, does it. He listens to recent tracks, finds the ones where the drums really slap, and then find the isolated hits, and chops them up.

And no I'm not gonna tell you who he is but you can trust me if you want to.

His music is original and dope so who cares! And no he is not lazy, he is one of the hardest working people I know.

Sent from my Droid
If this fictional hiphop producer does this-- then his music is NOT original, and he IS lazy.
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

Maybe it depends on the era you are from but I have always sampled snare, kicks an hats from hiphop albums. I also got drums from the original vinyl or tape. I sampled all the open hits from welcome to Detroit. I don't know any producers who don't do this. I used to snatch all of gangstarr 's album drums. I even bought the owners instrumental album for that reason. Now I get my drums from sample packs and I do more layering because none of these new producers drums impress me.
Old 29th December 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by knobsmcgee View Post
If this fictional hiphop producer does this-- then his music is NOT original, and he IS lazy.
Ok troll

Sent from my Droid
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

Teriyaki Boys - Baggy Pants produced by Just Blaze.

Nice open kick and clap/snare if you find the full version
Old 29th December 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayl View Post
Teriyaki Boys - Baggy Pants produced by Just Blaze.

Nice open kick and clap/snare if you find the full version
Cool will check later..

Theres a really nice breakbeat on Kendrick Lamar "sing about me im dying of thirst"

Sent from my Droid
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

blasphemy
Old 29th December 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Thanks guys… I have a pretty massive CD collection But not many current releases on CD… That's why was looking for some guidance on where to look for those more modern sounds… I am really digging a lot of 80s and 90s music for their crazy treated snares and kicks… A lot of pop music and more esoteric bands like tears for fears especially. I have several drum libraries… I'm not looking to take shortcuts… Just learned a craft and getting new inspiration from the process the matter how cumbersome… I actually just finished a new song that began its life as a chopped up sampled song that I arranged, sequenced, and ended up replaying all the instruments myself :-) I'm having a blast
If you more into 80s pop sound then you should watch out for the typical drummachine samples. Linndrum, SP12, Oberheim DMX and DX etc They really represet the 80s pop drumsound. BTW I think Tears for Fears used the well known "When the levee breaks" break from Led Zeppelin (not the break itself but the snare) for "Shout"
Depeche Mode used this snare too in their song "Never let me down"
To be honest: I'm not sure about that but to me it sounds like that

peace
Old 29th December 2012
Gear addict

back in da days i used to do just that: sampling open kks sns and hats... my friend was a DJ and I used to go to his place to sample open sounds from instrumentals
Old 30th December 2012
Lives for gear

Last edited by Tommycash; 1st January 2013 at 06:59 AM.. Reason: wrong thread
Old 30th December 2012
Lives for gear

Pretty obvious you don't need any schooling from me, you have the science pretty much figured out it seems.
So keep on lifting drums from current records and recycle the bullshit, i look forward to not hearing it.
Old 30th December 2012
Gear Head

Reading this thread makes me kinda sad... Digging for old records/samples is 50% of the fun and also the way to understand the foundation of the music. It's also how you could get your own sound (if you are into samplebased music)..

Snatching beats from already sampled beats are in my opinion just lazy, uninspiring and a kind of "fastfood" approach to creativity... Sad...
Old 30th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Depthcharge View Post
Reading this thread makes me kinda sad... Digging for old records/samples is 50% of the fun and also the way to understand the foundation of the music. It's also how you could get your own sound (if you are into samplebased music)..

Snatching beats from already sampled beats are in my opinion just lazy, uninspiring and a kind of "fastfood" approach to creativity... Sad...
So we never should have used any of the drums that came with our samplers or the on board drums? We couldn't use the 808 or 909 sounds or the linn drum sounds because we didn't sample them from vinyl? Using a keyboard patch instead of a real violin is lazy? I get you on the fun part of digging but when I dig I'm usually digging for instrument sounds and will sample a drum if I happen to stumble upon them.
Old 30th December 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyondat View Post
So we never should have used any of the drums that came with our samplers or the on board drums? We couldn't use the 808 or 909 sounds or the linn drum sounds because we didn't sample them from vinyl? Using a keyboard patch instead of a real violin is lazy? I get you on the fun part of digging but when I dig I'm usually digging for instrument sounds and will sample a drum if I happen to stumble upon them.

I might be old but whats an "onboard sound"? I thought the whole idea of using a sampler was to fill it with your own sounds...

But sure, use the drumpacks that you got for free with your daw or some samplepack you downloaded of the internet... But if you want to create something that reflects your style, emotions, expression etc why not sample some real drummachines, synthesize your own drumsounds or be creative with a microphone... Build your own library!

My main point.. Try to be innovative and creative instead of taking shortcuts...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search