Nas / PRO ERA - Parliament Drum Break
Old 29th December 2012
  #1
Gear Head
 

Thread Starter
Nas / PRO ERA - Parliament Drum Break

Just wandering if anyone can provide some insight on how these drums were mixed. I noticed that both Nas - One Love and PRO ERA - Last Cypher seem to sound exact but OutKast - Elevators (ONP 86 Mix) sounds closer to the drum break Parliament - Come in Out of the Rain. Just wandering if anyone can help shed some light.

Thanks

Sampled Links:




Break:
Old 29th December 2012
  #2
Lives for gear
 
beyondat's Avatar
 

I think there was an error, the drums don't sound like the parliament sample. The outkast remix might be the actual sample. I'm listening on my ipad but I'm sure Nas didn't sample them. Flip mode squad used this break for " straight spittin'"
Old 29th December 2012
  #3
Gear maniac
 
eldorado_p's Avatar
 

The pro era joint sampled Nas' one love drums. It sounds like Q tip chopped the drums different from outkast and there's some airiness or reverb on one love/pro eras version. But the pro era joint definitely sampled the beginning of one love. I know a couple of producers who did that back in the day and it sounded just like that.
Old 29th December 2012
  #4
Lives for gear
 

could be anything.

what are you after?

try pitching them and some (parallel) eq.

and obviously they re-arranged that break in different ways.
Old 29th December 2012
  #5
Gear Head
 

Thread Starter
Appreciate the feedback. I think they did sample the "One Love" beat because they sound too much like it.
Old 29th December 2012
  #6
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrisprescott View Post
Appreciate the feedback. I think they did sample the "One Love" beat because they sound too much like it.
yeah think they did, frowned upon back then though, you'd have to get the original break.
Old 29th December 2012
  #7
Lives for gear
 
beyondat's Avatar
 

I'm not hearing the same drums. One love and pro era drums don't sound like the parliament sample. If they are then Qtip layered the snare with another snare.
Old 29th December 2012
  #8
Gear maniac
 
eldorado_p's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyondat View Post
I'm not hearing the same drums. One love and pro era drums don't sound like the parliament sample. If they are then Qtip layered the snare with another snare.
You're hearing what the sampler (maybe a sp) does to drums on the snare I think. To me it doesn't even sound like he layered it. It has a little less sustain but it sounds the same to me
Old 30th December 2012
  #9
Gear Head
 

Thread Starter
I use to think the "One Love" drums were "Mixed Up Cup"
Old 30th December 2012
  #10
Lives for gear
 
beyondat's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldorado_p View Post
You're hearing what the sampler (maybe a sp) does to drums on the snare I think. To me it doesn't even sound like he layered it. It has a little less sustain but it sounds the same to me
Word,Maybe its my iPad speakers.

Sent from my SPH-D710
Old 30th December 2012
  #11
Lives for gear
 

I used to try to recreate the Nas drums with the Parliament break. The diff snare hits on the Parliament record all vary, so you have to grab the right one. Sampled into an sp1200, pitched up a bit, run through a mixing console at a real studio and EQ'd, possibly some compression, heaps of reverb added--could be anything.. Lexicon 70... 480l.. etc. Q-Tip always laid the reverb on heavy. Listen to Mobb Deep's "The Infamous".

The PRO Era song..this is why you don't sample off hiphop records. Just makes you sound amateur.
Old 30th December 2012
  #12
Old 30th December 2012
  #13
Gear maniac
 
eldorado_p's Avatar
 

Old 30th December 2012
  #14
Gear maniac
 
eldorado_p's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsowa View Post
I used to try to recreate the Nas drums with the Parliament break. The diff snare hits on the Parliament record all vary, so you have to grab the right one. Sampled into an sp1200, pitched up a bit, run through a mixing console at a real studio and EQ'd, possibly some compression, heaps of reverb added--could be anything.. Lexicon 70... 480l.. etc. Q-Tip always laid the reverb on heavy. Listen to Mobb Deep's "The Infamous".

The PRO Era song..this is why you don't sample off hiphop records. Just makes you sound amateur.
I don't have a problem with producers sampling stuff here and there. I understand the purist side but you can tell when it's nobody with no skills that did it or somebody who has skills themselves.

When Dre on this joint took the stabs that Marley sampled backwards on the bridge record was that amateur? It was dope to me.

Comes in at :23


When Kanye sampled Pete Rock's break for Runaway? Fire to me too. We can't be purists that hard when we're actually sampling other peoples music. Even if we're chopping it up making it our own, sampling a break or something small from another hip hop record is cool with me. FYI I've never did it myself but I definitely wouldn't look sideways at nobody that did it. To each his own though
Old 30th December 2012
  #15
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldorado_p View Post
I don't have a problem with producers sampling stuff here and there. I understand the purist side but you can tell when it's nobody with no skills that did it or somebody who has skills themselves.

When Dre on this joint took the stabs that Marley sampled backwards on the bridge record was that amateur? It was dope to me.

Comes in at :23


When Kanye sampled Pete Rock's break for Runaway? Fire to me too. We can be purists that hard when we're actually sampling other peoples music. Even if we're chopping it up making it our own, sampling a break or something small from another hip hop record is cool with me. FYI I've never did it myself but I definitely wouldn't look sideways at nobody that did it. To each his own though
I understand the perspective.

To me it's like--if in 1992, Dre was setting out to imitate that style of '86 production, and he sampled 'the bridge', that would be lame. But he was going well beyond that for a totally different vibe. It was just a little homage to a classic song. These PRO ERA people are imitating the production sound of mid-90s hiphop, AND they're jacking beats straight off those same mid 90s hiphop records that they're trying to imitate. It's just very amateurish. Tells me they can't even find their own shit. For that type of hiphop that they're trying to do--one of the things you do is you find your own shit. That used to be a principle that people had.
Old 2nd January 2013
  #16
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsowa View Post
I understand the perspective.

To me it's like--if in 1992, Dre was setting out to imitate that style of '86 production, and he sampled 'the bridge', that would be lame....
he did a similar thing though...

sample public enemy drums - the bonus beats on their first album, not even chopping them up on dre day.

around 1:30



and sample marley marl drums - eric b is president, again not even chopping or anything on g thang remix. also the bridge is in there as well.



Quote
1
Old 2nd January 2013
  #17
Gear maniac
 
eldorado_p's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by beat you down View Post
he did a similar thing though...

sample public enemy drums - the bonus beats on their first album, not even chopping them up on dre day.

around 1:30



and sample marley marl drums - eric b is president, again not even chopping or anything on g thang remix. also the bridge is in there as well.



Wow never recognized that!
Quote
1
Old 11th December 2013
  #18
Gear Head
 

Thread Starter
K-Def used the same break as well but in the same way as Tip unless Tip copied him...

Old 12th December 2013
  #19
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrisprescott View Post
K-Def used the same break as well but in the same way as Tip unless Tip copied him...

K-definitely jacked em from Nas
Old 12th December 2013
  #20
Lives for gear
 
ohsnap's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsowa View Post
K-definitely jacked em from Nas
Could be but dunno, K-def knows his craft and the initial rules well enough to not sample from other Hip Hop producers.
It was very common to sample from the same sources though.

No need for him to jack a little snare off a Qtip beat.

https://soundcloud.com/kdef
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
cdhps / Drums!
34
pan60 / Drums!
16
Kenny Gioia / So much gear, so little time!
116
Blast9 / So much gear, so little time!
18

Forum Jump
 
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.