awhitebeats
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
Lives for gear

Turntable for MPC

I'm looking for a decent reliable turntable for my 4K to sample hands on...Some say go cheap and get good "cartridges" and some say get the real deal. I'm clueless when it comes to TT's and don't know too much about these. Do I need to consider adding a phono amp as well? I have plenty of inputs available

Going this route for some new fun and my pops just gave me a huge box full of vinyl records for Christmas.
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
Banned

My first placement was sampled using a $40 2nd hand turntable by I think Panasonic. Radio Shack DJ needle made by Stanton. I had no mixer so I added a switch between 1 wire of each channel of my audio cable. (I forget what kind. Double throw something or other) The switch was fastened to my wooden desk so I could faux "scratch" if needed.

It sounded like ish, but well.. back then I was broke so.. there ya go.
I used my first cash to buy Technics 1200 and a Vestax PMC-05 PRO ASAP LOL

Good TT and Good Cart
or Lesser TT and Good Cart
or Lesser TT and Lesser Cart
Whatever works
awhitebeats
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrides View Post
My first placement was sampled using a $40 2nd hand turntable by I think Panasonic. Radio Shack DJ needle made by Stanton. I had no mixer so I added a switch between 1 wire of each channel of my audio cable. (I forget what kind. Double throw something or other) The switch was fastened to my wooden desk so I could faux "scratch" if needed.

It sounded like ish, but well.. back then I was broke so.. there ya go.
I used my first cash to buy Technics 1200 and a Vestax PMC-05 PRO ASAP LOL

Good TT and Good Cart
or Lesser TT and Good Cart
or Lesser TT and Lesser Cart
Whatever works
Lol man I'm not ready to spend that much on a TT. I was looking at the Stanton T.92. Is it any good?
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Gear addict

Go cheap get a good cartridge.

I got a Stanton. I paid $150 for it 6 years ago. You don't need a mixer for the MPC4000.
awhitebeats
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shobiz View Post
Go cheap get a good cartridge.

I got a Stanton. I paid $150 for it 6 years ago. You don't need a mixer for the MPC4000.
What would you consider a good cartridge?
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Gear interested

hey, i was just on here browsing and i saw this thread and figured id mention this: im looking to sell my turntable/cart/preamp, which i think is a pretty good sampling set up. im just selling it because i dont sample from vinyl much any more. i could list it buy it now on ebay for $150. if youre interested, shoot me a pm.
awhitebeats
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by inknface View Post
hey, i was just on here browsing and i saw this thread and figured id mention this: im looking to sell my turntable/cart/preamp, which i think is a pretty good sampling set up. im just selling it because i dont sample from vinyl much any more. i could list it buy it now on ebay for $150. if youre interested, shoot me a pm.
PM'd you...I'm just looking for something nice to get started with
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

if you're not going to scratch mix back spin etc indeed go cheap and get a decent cartridge.
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Banned

The moral of my story was get what you can afford. Make it work.

My direct suggestion would be find a good belt drive TT for $100 used Slap a $50 Grado Green on there. This is only if you are not going to backspin / scratch. Grados a nice sounding but fragile. Belt drive TT's suck for scratching.

If you do not plan to do any research of your own about what TT to buy.. just get something at a yard sale for $20/$30 bucks and put a decent cart on there. The cart will still be worth using when you decide to upgraged TT's. This way you are not throwing away $100 on smoething that is not worth investing in. You can get a decent TT for a couple of hundred bucks. Why blow half that budget on some BS. Plenty of threads on GS regarding TT's, carts, and phono preams.
awhitebeats
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

No scratching at all. Appreciate the help. Got my eye on a few items
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Gear addict

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search