Login / Register

Whats the best method to creating a beat?
New Reply
Subscribe
cchromatic
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
Gear interested

Whats the best method to creating a beat?

How do you start of your beat and what methods or tips would you give someone who wants to make beats sound more professional??? This is a beat of mine that I would like to improve... and I know its simple... but im going for a trap style kind of beat...what vsts should i get... nexus for example???
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 fdsfgsdg.mp3 (7.42 MB, 226 views)
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
Gear addict

It all comes down to personal taste. Some people prefer doing chords first, others drums.

I personally prefer doing the Melody first, then drums, chords, transitions and so on.

To improve the beat, try some minor mixing techniques like panning, delay, reverb. The piano sounds very generic, but that can be improved upon by using modulation like gating, flangers etc. Some transition/rise affects would be a good addition too.

Considering the beat is simple, I could see someone like 2Chainz or Gucci Mane on it if I'm honest, so good work. The only downside is 100k+ other dudes have already made this beat, so learning a bit more about mixing and making your sounds a little more unique is a good start.

https://soundcloud.com/jc_biffro/split-wine-snippet
cchromatic
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
Gear interested

thnx how does panning effect a beat i never tried that... like what are some good techniques on panning
cchromatic
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
Gear interested

and yeah i like doing melody first... i usually get stuck with drums first
cchromatic
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
Gear interested

here i changed up the beat and did some things u suggested how does it sound now... its definitely a finished product but i get what ur were saying
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 paino2.mp3 (7.68 MB, 134 views)
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
Lives for gear

you know when demoing a track aint nobody gone sit there and wait for the whole beat to start playing

what i noticed (before you changed it) was that that piano part didnt seem to belong

also like i said i didnt listen for more than like 20-30 seconds and i heard no kick or bassline

and maybe the tempo should be a lil higher

---

try making a melody, then building drums on top of it

also seems like there is an extra piece of percussion that you dont need

just experiment..there is no "method" do what you want you dont even need to try and make "trap" beats... thats why all the shit sound the same now everybody imitating each other

just one dudes opinion
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
Lives for gear

^^ What Ace said... strip strip strip away - often less is more, and you'll be amazed at how stripping away at stuff leaves behind something much better.

I think the way people create beats is often belied by the DAW they use. Is it a traditional 'tape' style DAW, like Logic or Cubase, or more loop oriented like Ableton and FL Studio. Which ever way you approach it, layering a lot of things together and then stripping things out to find the balance, is usually the way I go about it.
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
Gear addict

drums than main loop/melody, then bass the anything else
SFB
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
SFB
Gear maniac

this beat is boring no offense. You need more MOVEMENT. Things coming in and out, maybe a counter melody or more variation in that piano. Everythings sounds real dry, try adding some reverb to that clap or maybe a big delay or something on every 4th clap. Sorry i'm listening on laptop speakers so maybe there's something cool going on in the low end that I can't hear. But i doubt it.

Remember the best trap beats are repetitive without being repetitive if that makes sense. Throw in some rising/falling transition effects, some crashes, some sirens, hell, anything to breathe some LIFE into this beat. It's true that focusing on taking away things instead of adding things is a good mindset when beatmaking (thinking like a sculptor instead of a painter) but in your case this beat is so bare-bones that you definitely need to focus on adding more elements.
cchromatic
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
Gear interested

ok i feel you guys... im new to beatmaking and im just learning... i appreciate the advice ill try out another counter melody and add some more effx
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
Lives for gear

Try to get it to Trinidad James, he'll make a hit out of this. I can hear it already. He'll call it "ooh I'm sweatin'"
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
Lives for gear

Your beat is good man, just need to find a rapper to throw down. I would suggest finding a different sound for that piano, or just layering a synth on top with a little more body. I can hear a fat trance stack fitting in there, an octave or two below.
cchromatic
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
Gear interested

thnx ill try it and upload it again... you guys are much help... and thats funny.. trinidad james were you serious???
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchromatic View Post
thnx ill try it and upload it again... you guys are much help... and thats funny.. trinidad james were you serious???
yes i am serious. You just have to get beats to the right people.
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

i'm a sample dude generally so find a sample chop it up, play the chops, throw some keys on if needed, throw drums in, then some subby bass unless i'm using 808 style kicks.
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

dude I like what you were doing with that spookie phasie delayed piano. I dont much like the tempo or how much space your track has between elements. theres a lot of elements you can add to fill this track up more that the piano will naturally cut through. this will save you from having to do some eq work around other added elements too. also everthing seemed to centrally located. panning things like other layers to you hats or piano melody will allow you to open the stereo image up a little bit more which makes things sound bigger too. that trick will make the beat a bit more busy as well. the reverse clap chopped into the regular version of the clap was a good idea but not crisp or tight enough IMHO. you could of done a better job on chopping and looping the beat segments. i got to the filtering and didnt much like it at first but I heard some potential for it in certain areas. keep practicing and applying what this site can garnish you in the way of knowledge man and youll improve 10 fold in no time. My self Iv spend hours a day here reading, researching and reinforcing what I do know and have learned. not to mention trying to bring what minute knowledge I have to the table in hopes it will maby help someone, or if Im wrong be corrected.

Quasar

fire

Club

Matrix1.4

Blue London
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

Rappers will rap on anything that appeals to their creativity. If something is simple to u, it may be perfect for them. Simplicity is key. The trick is learning to make simplicity interesting.

The only way to become a better beatmaker is to work closely with artists. Give them a foundation to build from and learn what they need to hear to make a song progress. You will innately inherent what it takes to make a beat simple, yet interesting and appealing to the people that you want to impress. Good luck

Sent from my SCH-I510
Danger

The Ware House

Modular Beats - Custom Instrumentals Starting at $20
wareproductions@gmail.com for more info
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Gear addict

Send a message via Skype™ to chronmaster
Marijuana, generally.
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

no such thing.
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

Good advices given.

I think great beats just makes themselves.
When you say you have to make a counter melody, you're already a step behind. It should be there asking to be brought out.... or not. Sometimes you leave the phantom melody stuff out and let the listener fill in the blanks. When the beat works, those kind of things are there without being there. Every beat doesn't just work, its a matter of doing a lot and seeing which ones stick. Try not to try too hard. Don't over think it. Work fast and deliberate, move to the next one.
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Gear Head

I do melody first then layout the drums but sometimes that can backfire because it makes the drum pattern somewhat predictable but if you know what your doing that wont happen..
cchromatic
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Gear interested

heres a more stereozied version and i also made the chorus fuller with some brass... production wise is this better
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 fdsfgsdg_3.mp3 (7.42 MB, 70 views)
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Gear nut

Haven't read the replies but just gonna say totally subjective! For me it changes on the reg.. Might start with some drums but then come up with a melody that tops it and doesn't fit at all! I'd say find your method but don't necessarily stick to it religiously! Mix it up when you feel it.
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Gear addict

this is the best method
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Gear Head

And stop naming your files like "ghdffdkgklsgld".

I find organizing names and folders with care helps make me think clearer lol.
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Lives for gear

If you send me the beat tracked out I could see what I could do with it.

www.soundclick.com/DesmondAMusicProductions <---Lease Beats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla_Dutches View Post
FL Studio is like the fat girl of DAW's....fun to play with but nobody wants to be seen with her in public.

That being said... I love FL Studio.
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Lives for gear

Your beat is plenty good enough to find a rapper to spit on it. Is it unique or groundbreaking? No, but like someone else said, it's right up the same alley as a lot of the 2Chainz type of stuff right now. Get networking dude!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search