I need to learn how to sample songs with hooks in ableton
Old 27th December 2012
Gear interested

I need to learn how to sample songs with hooks in ableton

I have a Song that I did where the producer sampled Deep purple soldier of Fortune.. I loved the beat so I made a song over it. it basically takes the song and samples the main melody and the hook for the chorus sped up.. people have been doing this for years .. The song I made with it stayed on College Radio for 8 weeks you can hear the song here Often Told by BPAYNE

^that song was on college radio airplay for 8 weeks.. and I've had several others but this is the only one with this style that was played

So I would like to learn how to do this myself there are a LOT of classic rock, blues, even Metal songs I would like to do this with.. This is not for commercial releases just promotional mixtape use as that song is.. but I can't even begin to understand how to do this myself I am Using ableton live and any help you guys could give me would be greatly appreciated Thanks!!
B
Old 27th December 2012
Gear maniac

Stop bitin my sampling styles
Old 27th December 2012
Gear interested

Not sure that I understand how so many people can read this thread but not take 5 seconds out to point me towards the Right direction...

I'm not a Producer but I'm learning a bit about it as I go. .I am Mainly an Emcee.. the guy that gave me these beats is a producer from Jersey and He gave me Literally 5 cd's worth of Tracks that I can use for mixtape projects and even shows.. he said as long as I do not sell my project we are good.. I started submitting songs for a Radio show at a college in New Jersey and they got selected.. I had 5 different songs featured on this radio show over a period of 3 months.. but Often told (the song above) was by far the favorite of everyone who heard it.. and I like the style of beat and how it was used.. .I would just like to know how to accomplish this myself.. I have a LOT of ideas for songs (all promotional) that I would like to make in this fashion. I know that due to copywrite I can't legally sample and sell something like this without getting the sample cleared.. but that's not what this is for.. This is for my own promotional mixtape music.. so can anyone help me learn how to Make tracks like this with the basis of other songs used and the hook sampled?
Old 27th December 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Below Zero View Post
Stop bitin my sampling styles
lol.. First of all I have no idea who u are
Second of all I didn't produce it .. I just wrote the lyrics and recorded on it

The producer is in NJ and is a dude with quite a few actual placements in the Underground hiphop scene.. He liked my music and gave me these beats which were quite old and told me I can use them for promotional use..

and Finally.. If I can learn how to make this style of track myself I am going to put out a Whole Project (promo only of course) based on some of the Dopest songs and Hooks that I've loved since I was a child all the way up till now..
so no, no one is "bitin" anything From you..
Old 27th December 2012
Banned

Get another track from the dude who made the first one. Problems solved.
Sell all your holiday gifts on eBay and pony up the cash son.

I would be surprised if anyone holds your hand on this one and gives you elaborate instructions on how to copy someone elses production syle. Stranger things have happened though.
Old 27th December 2012
Gear interested

Hey Bpayne,

I don't have Ableton, but I can try to point you in the right direction. What your producer friend did was change the pitch of the song which you're already aware of. There are a couple of ways he/she could have done this:

1. He/She had the original vinyl and speed it up and recorded that into i.e. Ableton.

2. Used an audio file (.wav, .aiff, .mp3, etc) and imported it into Ableton's sampler and simply turned the pitch/semitone dial up. This would cause the song to speed up do to the new pitch. This is basically a replication of (1), but for those that don't use vinyl.

3. Use (2) in conjunction with Ableton's 'Warping' feature, so that you can change sample pitch without affecting sample playback speed.

Look up SkiBeatz's video 'Chopping with Ableton' or something like that to get an idea of what I'm talking about. Also watch some DubSpot videos on YouTube for more Ableton help.

Welcome to the production side,
DarkSource
Old 27th December 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrides View Post
I would be surprised if anyone holds your hand on this one and gives you elaborate instructions on how to copy someone elses production syle. Stranger things have happened though.
Haha just refreshed the page and saw this. Whoops my bad!
Old 27th December 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpayne View Post
lol.. First of all I have no idea who u are
Second of all I didn't produce it .. I just wrote the lyrics and recorded on it

The producer is in NJ and is a dude with quite a few actual placements in the Underground hiphop scene.. He liked my music and gave me these beats which were quite old and told me I can use them for promotional use..

and Finally.. If I can learn how to make this style of track myself I am going to put out a Whole Project (promo only of course) based on some of the Dopest songs and Hooks that I've loved since I was a child all the way up till now..
so no, no one is "bitin" anything From you..
I lived in nj for a couple years and still work with a few artists out there

I started this sampling style

I am god

Biter
Old 27th December 2012
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSource View Post
Haha just refreshed the page and saw this. Whoops my bad!

I wasn't trying to discourage anyone from helping the dude.
To be honest, I couldn't even begin to articulate the steps necessary to bite someones style. Perhaps I would not make a good school teacher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Below Zero View Post
I am god

Biter
Didn't you just have a B-Day recently? How old are you now?
Old 28th December 2012
Gear interested

Biting someones style? really people have been making these type of songs since Hiphop started.. Many many producers use the format of taking a Popular or well liked or even obscure song and then Chopping the hook and part of the melody out and making their own beat out of it.. ever heard of Kanye? .. The producer who I got the beat from only works on stuff that he can clear nowadays production for Regular releases.. and I want to make things that most likely are unclearable but still stuff that I think would be cool.. I'm not going to go hey.. I want you to make a hook out of steve nash's I can see clearly now.. and I shouldn't if I can learn how to do it myself.. you dudes are way too touchy about someone trying to be creative.. .. Everything in HipHop is music borrowed from somewhere else if it is sampled based.. it's not biting... it's learning..
you can't say.. oh the idea to make a beat this way is MY idea and therefore you can't do it.. that is an unbelievably childish mindstate..
Since I've been getting airplay on local college stations.. I have many ideas for songs and how i'd like them.. this is why I'm trying to learn the production themes.. I want to take slayer songs.. sublime songs.. and a whole host of others and make promotional material out of it.. Everytime you Use a sample someone could call u a biter.. so Drop it with the Nonsense..
and Jrides.. thanks for the tips bro
B
Old 28th December 2012
Gear maniac

This was a dipset Beat like 8 yrs ago wasnt it? im pretty sure Santana spit on it
Old 28th December 2012
Lives for gear

The song you did is realy easy to do in ableton. Find yourself a couple of orginals in wav or flac files only for best results. Load the song up in audio track. For exact audio copy unwarp the song where you see the wave form in ableton. Ones you find a piece place a marker on the starting point by right button click your mouse and choose option set 1.1. This means your track starts from that point and now you see grit lines and you can set your second marker by double click the left. You can change samples by moving around with the markers or marker spots (grey points for markers). To change the sound you use the left side where you can see options as well. use the transpose function to go up and down for best results.

This is one method but search for videos on YT.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search