Not buying anything till I see the $
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam Citi View Post
start diversifying, record rappers mixtape tracks for $25 an hour. Learn how to do mixtape covers $50 a peice. Get a DSLR camera for $500. Learn how to shoot and edit music videos. Package it up with beats, 2 beats, 2 songs recorded, and 1 video for $600
recommending being a jack of all trades???
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
Lives for gear

how can we take the craft serious when punks be giving out free beats on twitter to every damn a&r and artist! are these artists suppose to respect producers when they dont negotiate figures on potential track placements?

this is why im learning orchestral composition, various instruments and sound designing for the film and gaming industry. harder craft but more professional for sure!!

rant over!!!
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
Gear addict

This attitude is ridiculous. You've been making beats for a few years, built a website and finished a few beats and you somehow expect to be making a six figure income? Not to mention the fact that netting more than 99% of people in this country is considered "chump change" to you.

"until the business shows me some love, it gets no love from me"

You have to do something in the business before the business will show you anything. You are basically asking for your first paycheck before you even have the job. Good luck with that.
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
Gear Head

Everybody can make a beat. And everybody does. If your work is no better than most of the free/cheap stuff then don't expect to get paid. Simple like that. You have to be clearly better than others. If you are not, you are just hobbyist, enjoy your hobby, make it fun, just please, do not quit your main job.

Few years back people were whining that they can't compete with handful of big studios, now they are whining that they can't compete with millions kid-in-a-bedroom "studios".
It is not fault of the competition that you can't make it. You just don't have what it takes.
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
If it is something you are passionate about and feel absolutely compelled by it, then go ahead and buy that gear, but if it is a something you are not sure about than I can see why you wouldn't want to purchase a $3,000 keyboard. Some people can spend that kind of money in a nightclub, so that price tag can relative, but if you got that money laying around and it isn't cutting into your living expenses than I say go for it, but if you using credit to finance that charge than I would say chill and just use the tools you got.
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
Gear nut

I think a little optimism is healthy. I do agree with the whole not buying something new until you see progress though. I find a lot of the time I get it in my head "if I just had this synth/vsti/controller/ etc., I'd be set." And once I buy that, theres always something else within a few weeks... It's a never-ending cycle, and I think holding yourself back from new purchases until you see some significant progress since the last one is an excellent idea. Great source of motivation.
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Biffro View Post
Me personally, I'd rather burn 5 years of my short life putting all my money and energy into really trying to make this a feasible career for myself, rather than looking back and thinking 'what if'.

So what if I miss 5 good years of my 20's, I'd rather that than spend the next 40 years filled with regret.
So funny, this is exactly what I told myself this year. 5 years. If nothin happens, grad school. Keep makin degree money while I do it- for now anyway.
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
Lives for gear

I love this shit! I buy buy buy... tweak and twist it up then sell then buy some more. I experiment with different units and pieces of gear whenever I can afford to, because it broadens my knowledge and understanding. I gain a deeper insight into 'how things work' and how I am able to get 'that' sound.

The experience is enriched by gearsluttery but more so... I just love all things musical.. it's my thing... so the $$ spent are irrelevant.

Then there is the business side of things, and that's fuxking boring..... but you need to be prepared to spend the $$ to ensure your growth, or else we would be just another 'beatmaker' with a website. The business side of things is a whole different kettle of fish and requires a head for stratagem and a keen eye for opportunity.

Anyway, love music, treat her good, expand your knowledge..... but most of all.. love music, do it for you because the industry is packed with stupid crazy talented individuals that leave me and pretty much anyone else I've heard on this site, eating dust.... and then there are the millions of textbook 'make a buck' beatmakers....

Do what you love. I own a house, have a wife and three kids and still manage to spend plenty of time in the studio.
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
Lives for gear

I look at it both ways. As a business, you have assets you have to recoup on. Most of us have enough to make a commercial hit at our disposal. Even then, upgrading certain things may help you bring in income. I know I can sell beats on the cheaper side of things with better mixes because the people buying them will likely mix it their selves or go with a budget engineer. In that case, things like my monitors and room treatment were bought before that cash came in, but ultimately, I paid it off.

The other side is keeping yourself creative. That's a hobbyist mentality when you aren't making enough money to "justify it". A new piece of hardware/software can open your eyes, especially if it's not similar to what you own. That's one more thing to have to "pay back" from a professional standpoint but may give you a lot of enjoyment from a hobbyist standpoint.

I have a lot of equipment of various value and I could simplify my setup greatly. I don't because I don't need to. Even though I haven't paid off my equipment, that doesn't stop me from buying pieces I truly want or feel will expand my setup. I am including everything from monitors to samplers to soundbanks here. That said, I may buy one or two expensive pieces a year now, which likely will get paid off and more, but that doesn't mean I make enough to pay off everything I have spent, yet, or even pay my bills in full. I work hard enough to feel it's a possibility and if not, I still have enjoyed the last 10 years greatly and hope to continue for a long time.
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
Lives for gear

My 2 cents:

You make music for the sake of it, any other reason is wrong in my book.

You have to give love to receive some, especially in music.

Whether it's a hobby or a job, music requires dedication: time, money, thoughts (the way it keeps your head busy is crazy), etc.

But all in all, life is a matter of priorities, set yours and stick to them, whatever the are.

I wish you the best
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by FyLe ForMatz View Post
recommending being a jack of all trades???
If netting a profit is the issue i was offering advice based on experience. Those are things i do on a weekly basis. I Love making beats and producing, the rest i dont mind doing and it keeps you from needing a 9-5 and puts you around people interested in music like you. Theres no wrong way to go about it, WE ALL DO IT FOR THE LOVE. Do i make 50k a year?? HELL NO!!! but i support myself, buy new gear/plugins, save some $$$, and continue to work towards my dreams.

One of the biggest flaws with artists/producers IMO is we are all creative when making the music, but arent willing to be just as creative when it comes to making money off what we love. For better or worse im a "Professional Music Maker" and nobody can take that away, i take great pride in that statement and wouldnt have it any other way.
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
Banned

Quote:
So long as I can make enough to actually live on (i.e. 50-100k) a year

Where do you live?!?
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Me personally, I'd rather burn 5 years of my short life putting all my money and energy into really trying to make this a feasible career for myself, rather than looking back and thinking 'what if'.

So what if I miss 5 good years of my 20's, I'd rather that than spend the next 40 years filled with regret.
This is EXACTLY how I feel...
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwonderful View Post
I do it for the love. I really only want to work with a couple artists, I'm not looking for fame or money. Just to say I got to work with my favorite MC would be enough for me, seriously.
Same here. I do music to do music. **** everything else.
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
Lives for gear

I don't do rap or hiphop, but this is a common thread among musicians of all genres, or for that matter, for anyone aspiring to anything. The truth is that if you don't work harder than your competition, they will beat you at the game. Anyone who says money doesn't matter is either living off a trust fund, or is in denial.

Making money in the industry DOES matter, because your other option is to work a day job. The most valuable commodity we have in life is time. When you find yourself trading time for money doing something you're not passionate about, you're swimming against the tide. This is not an insurmountable obstacle, but it sure can slow you down. The truth is, what you do to make a living can consume you. Those who are already making a living doing what you aspire to do will work circles around you - because you have 40 hours less per week of time to devote to achieving success than they do.

There's nothing wrong with doing music as a hobby. However, it sucks to sacrifice your hopes and dreams just so that you can keep a roof over your head, or pay off student loans, or to keep up with the credit card payments, or feed your kids, or whatever. The OP is wise for being financially cautious. It's important to avoid getting over your head in debt in order to obtain the tools of the trade. Credit cards will kill you - you gotta flip a lot of burgers just to pay the interest, and bailing yourself completely out of debt once you've dug yourself a hole is an uphill battle that can take away years of your life.

I find the video of Eric Thomas particularly inspiring. He points out the one problem that many of us have that holds us back from achieving our goals: laziness. For many of us (and I speak for MYSELF in particular), lack of motivation (i.e. laziness) is what's holding us back.

Time to get to work...
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
Gear maniac

Man I lost a promotion at work and I am bummed. My family kinda is upset because I wear my emotions on my sleeves big time. I get angry and think of bad things only for the first few hours. I failed a structured interview that I worked hard on. So it really has me down to the point I want to get even with someone or something and I think about selling coke again just to feel satisfaction internally.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
Lives for gear

At least the op doesn't have to sell any gear, thats the worst! I say buy gear if it makes you happy, not with the intent that it will make you money. I once sold Timbaland a synth because he heard "one" sound that he liked on the synth! He then told me that if he sells one beat with that keyboard he will have made his money back multiple times. must be nice! Can't remember which keyboard it was, maybe a Virus.
Ronnie Coleman
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireworks View Post
Man I lost a promotion at work and I am bummed. My family kinda is upset because I wear my emotions on my sleeves big time. I get angry and think of bad things only for the first few hours. I failed a structured interview that I worked hard on. So it really has me down to the point I want to get even with someone or something and I think about selling coke again just to feel satisfaction internally.

Smoke a joint.
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by isawsasquatch View Post

Where do you live?!?
The UK.

If anything, £50-100k is over doing it. £40-60 is more than enough to 'get by' (roughly $70-$90k)
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
www.KevWestBeats.com

success comes to those who want it. how hard are you willing to work for your success
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
I EAT VINYL FOR DINNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWest View Post
success comes to those who want it. how hard are you willing to work for your success
yea
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Coleman View Post
Smoke a joint.
That doesn't satisfy my urge for revenge. I know its weird but I feel like it

28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
Gear Head

I was hoping this thread was gonna help me justify buying a Nexus 2 bundle. So far... no luck. Like others, I'm a mid-20's degree having guy working a non-music related job. I have the money to buy vsts and stuff, but when priotizing against a car note, student loan debts, social life budget (which doesn't require much)--new sounds fall low on the totem pole. Compared to others and their hobbies, golfers buy expensive clubs all the time. They buy them just because they feel it might improve their game, or give them an advantage over their buddies. They make no money back from this, unless they're making bets. Gun enthusiasts will spend $$$ to get their hands on a new assault rifle just to shoot at watermelons and shit. Well, that's what I've seen on youtube. I have a coworker that has boxes and boxes from Amazon containing new blu-rays every single week. People spend money on what brings them happiness, and entertainment.

In my head, I feel like if I buy Nexus 2, and enjoy making beats with it, land on a couple mixtapes (without profit) then it's money well spent. $500 is a lot of damn money, though. I've got Jordans to buy.
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
Lives for gear

I suppose if you really forced it, and spent all day making music, and were persistant with hounding ppl to give you a chance, you could probably force your way into making a living off music, if you are decent at all. Kind of like if you nag a girl to go out with you enough, eventually she will go out on a date with you. But is that really what you want?

Thats why I never get the ppl who say "work hard" at music and you'll succeed. For one, its not work. Its not like pouring concrete, where if you just get up everyday and go do it you will be successful. When its something creative, once you've mastered an instrument and are beyond all the years of practicing, its not about effort anymore. Songs either come naturally to you, or they don;t, in my experience. Sure, you could force it, and make a ton of forced sounding songs, and persistantly hound ppl or even pay them to play it on the radio, spend a bunch of money on promotion, etc. And eventually maybe make a career out of it. But idk, that doesn;t sound like a very fulfilling life to me.

I started playing instruments when I was like 4-5 yrs old before I even knew what money was. So for me its always been just about a love for music and a creativite outlet. Its a hobby because I want it to be a hobby. If I'm good enough for ppl to want to buy my music, great. But I'll never be one to try and force a career out of music. Not only would it take all the fun out of it for me, but its really just a bad business to be in, from a business perspective in terms of the success rate. I prefer to make a living elsewhere and keep music as a hobby. Like others said, some ppl like to collect and work on cars, I like to play instruments and record music. Every hobby doesn't have to become a career. If you got into music just to make money, then you got into it for the wrong reason anyways. And if you are only buying a keyboard because you think it will make your music sell more and make more money, then you are probably going to be disappointed. Buy a new keyboard because you like how it sounds and because you think you will have fun playing it. Don't buy it as some kind of business investment. Unless you own a studio and think it will attract more customes or something.
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireworks View Post
I think about selling coke again just to feel satisfaction internally.

How old are ? 16?
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
Gear maniac

U need to watch Michael J Fox - The Secret of my Success
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
Lives for gear

The debate of doing it for the love vs doing it professionally doesn't have to be *solved*. Some people prefer to keep it a hobby, good for you, but that doesn't mean people who pursue a career are wrong to do so or are in any way less true to themselves.

I would rather be making $70/hr scoring corporate videos than working some other 9-5 job I hated. It would be less true to myself if I tried to give a shit about some 9-5 when really all I want to do is make music. Personally I don't really have any other skills, I can cook pretty good, but doing that professionally would probably ruin it for me. But it would be equally stupid for me to run around telling chef's that they aren't "doing it for the love".

That all said if anyone does decide that they want to pursue a career path in music, learn to play at least one instrument at a truly professional level. That is the one thing you can do that will make the odds of making a solid living a reality instead of a lottery.
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
Lives for gear

Success is when preparation meets opportunity. Get as good as you can, then be ready. Everyone (who tries) gets that one shot--will you be up to the challenge?

EDIT: The $ you spend has very little to do with it.
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

skills bring money, not toys. if that was the case, id be loaded because all my stuff!
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Gear Head

Like Leo said you don't need toys to make it in the music business so, buying gear won't get you there. When I started making tracks like 15 yrs ago, I made some great tracks with a four track, mouth sounds and a Casio keyboard. Over the years I have heard great production from beatmakers with hardly any gear and mediocre tracks from those with a house full of gear. Just use what you have and be creative. Also think about other avenues to display your music. Projects like movie soundtracks,tv shows and commercials are good outlets to make a living doing music. I am currently working on a children's trap album. Also try to use music in your current job. I myself am a teacher now and use music to teach. I'll make a trap beat and rap over it and talk about addition. It's satisfying for me because I'm doing something positive with my music and I incorporate it into my job. The kids love and they think it so cool. So just keep working on music forget new gear just make great music that you love and if you make money good if not at least you will love doing it.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search