Sub frequencies aren't full enough to me....
Old 27th December 2012
Gear interested

Sub frequencies aren't full enough to me....

I've always read these forums and finally decided to ask for specific help. I'm trying to make my sub bass resonate, if that is the proper term, fully and make the listener percieve it as louder and wider without losing form in the beat. I generally throw distortion and a limiter on my sub bass or 808, but it just doesn't sound the way I need it to at least not when I listen to it on my car stereo. My DAW is FL Studio and I generally use stock plugins for EQ and Distortion and Waves L1 limiter on my sub bass/808 channel. I attached a mix of mine below, any suggestions or techniques? Thanks in advance.

I hope I'm putting this in the proper section if not my apologies.
Old 27th December 2012
Lives for gear

have you ever tryied inserting a 30-50hz tone triggered by the a kick drum through a gate, or simply inserting and chopping the tone on a new track?
Old 27th December 2012
Gear interested

Great suggestion but I guess what I'm really trying to achieve is a full sound with that specific 808 sample. It's a typical trap distorted 808 but a lot of engineers do something to theirs which makes it jump out at you while keeping it under control level wise. I know what you mean though. I usually always use a oscillator for sub and can get it to sound great, sometimes I don't even have to use a gate and can get the kick to punch right through, but I'm having trouble doing that with this sample patch. It's just the specific frequencies of this sample patch are odd at times.
Old 27th December 2012
Gear maniac

A good trick is to take each note of the bass/808 kick and separate them into separate tracks. That enables you to eq and set the levels separately to get the full resonance out of it.
Old 27th December 2012
E_V_B

To the op. The sample you pick is important. Distortion usually adds higher harmonics also so maybe it'll cut the kick through the mix better but not really what I think your issue is. Nothing else in the track is fighting for the same frequency but the horn that comes in every 4 or so.... I would just make sure you high pass everything else to the point of not sounding too "thin." if you have the waves maxx bass that is another tool to help. It sounds like you layered your kick also so again Check where its bottom is and adjust ur eq. I know on fl if you use fruity eq 2 I use 2 instances right after the other to 'pass either end. One isn't enough and let's some info through. Try it put one on and pass low or high and put another one and that area will still light up red. Dope beat tho. Good luck mane.
Old 27th December 2012
E_V_B

Just an after thought......if you want control limit. Bass is dynamic as hell and you have to control that to really push it or you'll have loud bits jumping out at out at you. Easier in parallel IMO but not sure how to do that on fl easily I'm guessing just duplicate the tracks. My penny homie.
Old 27th December 2012
Gear nut

Old 27th December 2012
Gear interested

Old 27th December 2012
Gear nut

well i don't exactly what they done, but i would play around with saturation, a coloured compressor plugin like the cla-2a and waves maxxbass...playing with that combo should get your 808 type kick doing all sorts of fun stuff.
Old 28th December 2012
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

lol you need to find a decent recording of the 64foot pipe from the organ at atlantic city. I think it goes down to 8hz

so combine that with a pitched down 808 kick, and a speaker system big enough to handle it and I think you'll be making some earthquakes!
Old 28th December 2012
Lives for gear

There simply isn't much that you can do when it comes to sub bass. It's either there in the sample/player or it isn't.

I actually like my bass to be controlled so it fits in the mix, thus I lean toward compression. If you want that subbass to be dominant in the mix (ala a milli), you gotta leave TONS of room for it. Is there ANYTHING in that song below 300hz besides the kick?
Old 29th December 2012
Banned

You probably need more in the octaves above sub-bass. Which typically means clearing out space in the arrangement.
Old 6th January 2013
Gear maniac

You might want to try a compressor on it giving a few decibles of compression, but using a slow attack. Like 30ms or so. That should make it pop much more while, like you said, keeping the levels under control.

Also, all distortions are not the same in each application. I use the URS Saturation plug, and spend a lot of time cycling through it's different kinds of emulation in order to find a setting that makes the subs come through on that particular track.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search