MPC 2000XL question
DNTE
Thread Starter
#1
26th December 2012
Old 26th December 2012
  #1
Gear interested
 

Thread Starter
MPC 2000XL question

I'm preparing to purchase an MPC, and looking through various models the 2000xl seemed to stand out to me due to it having unique tonal characteristics, a retro look and it's apparent popularity amongst industry producers, however, I'm unsure about its functioning and capabilities with more recent production methods

does the 2000xl only use floppy disks for sound banks, or can it be controlled through midi or interface input, with sounds from my computer being assigned to the pads?
#2
26th December 2012
Old 26th December 2012
  #2
Lives for gear
 

DNTE
Thread Starter
#3
26th December 2012
Old 26th December 2012
  #3
Gear interested
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnevz View Post
You can use the midi out to control sounds on your computer.
And
MPC2000XL Site
I'm sorry I'm completely oblivious when it comes to producing with hard ware, as I've never done it before, so what exactly do you mean by this?
#4
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
  #4
Lives for gear
 
awhitebeats's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNTE View Post
I'm sorry I'm completely oblivious when it comes to producing with hard ware, as I've never done it before, so what exactly do you mean by this?
Midi I/O to & from your interface to the MPC to control the sounds in your DAW. Simple...if your interface has no midi get a midi sport for cheap
#5
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
  #5
Lives for gear
 
awhitebeats's Avatar
And peep the link homie sent...very informative. You can get a CF card reader and transfer sounds. That's what I use to do. Also had the SCSI CD-ROM so I could load them that way...
DNTE
Thread Starter
#6
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
  #6
Gear interested
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by awhitebeats View Post
Midi I/O to & from your interface to the MPC to control the sounds in your DAW. Simple...if your interface has no midi get a midi sport for cheap
my interface has midi. So I could just plug the MPC in and assign sounds to pads from my DAW? I could record straight from mpc to the daw as well, right?
#7
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
  #7
Gear addict
 

The sonics of the xl pale compared to the 3000, but the workflow is amazing.
#8
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
  #8
Gear maniac
 
SMARTGUY's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDEED View Post
The sonics of the xl pale compared to the 3000, but the workflow is amazing.
Ditto
#9
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
  #9
Gear maniac
 

You have the time bomb screen issue to deal with also.
#10
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
  #10
Banned
 

If you are coming from the computer world the 2500 w/ JJOS is hard to beat.
The drums smack harder than a b#tch. The features will make you forget to turn on your computer at times.

From a sound standpoint, the 2000xl is my least favorite MPC I have worked with. The added features over a 60 or say a 3k, as stated above, make a pretty significant impact.
#11
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
  #11
Gear maniac
 
Fireworks's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrides View Post
If you are coming from the computer world the 2500 w/ JJOS is hard to beat.
The drums smack harder than a b#tch. The features will make you forget to turn on your computer at times.

From a sound standpoint, the 2000xl is my least favorite MPC I have worked with. The added features over a 60 or say a 3k, as stated above, make a pretty significant impact.
Uhh I thought the 2500/1000 models sounded weak and crappy from all that I read at least.



Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
#12
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
  #12
Lives for gear
 
awhitebeats's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireworks View Post
Uhh I thought the 2500/1000 models sounded weak and crappy from all that I read at least.



Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
I can't personally say it sounds weak because I haven't used one long enough. But I can say the build quality of the 2500 is cheaply made compared to other models...Sound-wise, if you know what you're doing, you can make any MPC sound good. I been on the MPC since 09' and I'm still learning!
#13
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
  #13
Banned
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireworks View Post
Uhh I thought the 2500/1000 models sounded weak and crappy from all that I read at least.



Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
Nope. Not the 2500. Not at all lol.

Then again, I wasn't reading the same stuff you were. I did however listen to the ones that were sitting on my desk. I sold the 2kxl. I just sold a 2k and a 1k, last week, and am about to sell my 60.

The 2500 remains knocktackular, and will live on for a while, as I am about to send back a MPC Studio.

You really have to weed thorugh the jealousy/hatred/noise/ignorance/regurgitation etc, and try these boxes for yourself. You would be surprised how much misinfo is on the interweb. We could also play the so and so uses a 2500 game, but tbh, I really dont give a schmuck who else uses it, because I am using that yatch... (to destry my foes....and my friends if they step wrong lol)

It fits in quite nicely with my s950 and emaxes and other sampling junk from yesteryear. Drag and drop wav files, and midi it to trigger ableton live or S1V2 while using it to track drums... or find your own way of flipping it into the workflow.


Quote:
Originally Posted by awhitebeats View Post
I can't personally say it sounds weak because I haven't used one long enough. But I can say the build quality of the 2500 is cheaply made compared to other models...
I have a 2k with the case off, open on my desk alongside a 2500. I can clearly call BS on your claim of build quality. I have replaced more buttons on that ghat damn 2k JUST from taking the case on and off than I EVER have with any other MPC.If you look at where the screws hold things like the LCD and the main board in place, ESPECIALLY the LCD assembly.. that ish doesnt even come close to the design and layout of the 2500. You are just talking about the 2500 jog wheel at best.

Compared to the 4k, 60 and 3k all of the others feel cheap. Overall, the 2500 feels no cheaper than the 2k / 2kxl. (and the 2k seems to have a slightly better build than the 2kxl)
#14
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
  #14
Lives for gear
 
beyondat's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrides View Post
Nope. Not the 2500. Not at all lol.

Then again, I wasn't reading the same stuff you were. I did however listen to the ones that were sitting on my desk. I sold the 2kxl. I just sold a 2k and a 1k, last week, and am about to sell my 60.

The 2500 remains knocktackular, and will live on for a while, as I am about to send back a MPC Studio.

You really have to weed thorugh the jealousy/hatred/noise/ignorance/regurgitation etc, and try these boxes for yourself. You would be surprised how much misinfo is on the interweb. We could also play the so and so uses a 2500 game, but tbh, I really dont give a schmuck who else uses it, because I am using that yatch... (to destry my foes....and my friends if they step wrong lol)

It fits in quite nicely with my s950 and emaxes and other sampling junk from yesteryear. Drag and drop wav files, and midi it to trigger ableton live or S1V2 while using it to track drums... or find your own way of flipping it into the workflow.
Yeah man, I think all hardware adds a certain heaviness to your drums. i remember being in audio school and everyone brought in some of there music as sort of a show and tell. Everyone in the class used either Logic, Reason or FL to produce except for this dude who used an mpc 2500. He had just started making beats a few months earlier on the 2500. when his beat came on everyone in the class immediately said "where do you get your drums!". His drums just knocked harder for some reason even on the 2500.
#15
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
  #15
Banned
 

I try to tell cats its decent. I have owned a bunch o boxes. Some are better than their rep.
The ASR-X is decent
MV8800 is decent

There are a few decent boxes out there that are often overlooked.
Between the the newer akai boxes, if I only had money for a 2k/2kxl, I could work with that... but if I have the extra cash, im going for the 2500 every time. Thats just my experience.
#16
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
  #16
Lives for gear
 

i'm still processing the 2500 "cheaply built" comment

i'm not a big mpc guy but i have the 2500se and i never thought of it as cheaply built
#17
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
  #17
Lives for gear
 
awhitebeats's Avatar
The casing on the XL is more solid IMO. Wasn't referring to buttons
#18
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
  #18
Banned
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by awhitebeats View Post
The casing on the XL is more solid IMO. Wasn't referring to buttons
I have never had a casing fail on any MPC during normal usage. I use buttons more often than I "use" the casing on a MPC.

This thread is about the 2kxl though, so if the OP does not have the cash to consider the 2500 w/ JJOS the discussion is irrelevant. I just threw out that option based on my experience. I notice a lot of software guys going to the 2k/2kxl and then having a negative experience, many times due to culture shock. The 2500 w/JJOS has plenty of bang, with a feature set that is less painful to get acclimated to, for computer folk.

It is very knocktastic, while being modern enough to fit nicely into a computer based workflow with relative ease. It can fit an a Serato backpack as well. It is the best "all around" MPC, for modern workflow intergration, in my opinion.

If the OP is willing to accept what the 2kxl is / is not, and keep those things in perspective while using it.... he will be fine with the 2kxl for making music.
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Chaylon / So much gear, so little time!
39
cup-of-coffee / Rap + Hip Hop engineering & production
5
djbizness / Rap + Hip Hop engineering & production
1
korce / Rap + Hip Hop engineering & production
1
recall / Music Computers
1

Forum Jump
 
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.