Recording in Ableton
New Reply
Subscribe
jbird712
25th December 2012
Old 25th December 2012
Gear Head

Recording in Ableton

So, I've been on here for about a year now and have seen a lot of posts from producers using either Pt or logic to record vocals.

I have Ableton live 8 suite which is not too shabby at all, but I was wondering why not many pro's use this program to record? The workflow is great and the sound does not seem bad at all. What is the difference between Ableton and the other DAW's and why is it not a primary choice for recording vocals.

I have heard of some Leo's who use Ableton for recording., but am always baffled as to why there is not a larger amount of professional users.

Want to know what DAW's you guys use and why. Pretty interesting thread that I thought and could cause a lot of discussion. Thanks.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9dizku8obt...20Word%201.mp3
jbird712
25th December 2012
Old 25th December 2012
Gear Head

And it should be "pro's" not Leo's in the 3rd paragraph haha
26th December 2012
Old 26th December 2012
Gear maniac

Ableton has fixed that problem with delay compensation. Truth be told it is all about labling. Pro tools is the standard because it is a brand that has been around for a while. Ableton is fully capable of mixing full projects because I have been doing so with it for 5 years. Ableton workflow is different than traditional daws, so many think it is not worthy. One thing that I would say ableton should do is have the capability of having session and clip view on different screens. Other than that ableton is a beast.
www.soundclick.com/MuthershipConnection
Twitter-@MSConnection44
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
Lives for gear

Also - there's no comping system in place to handle multiple takes effectively. I only use Live, and that's something that's clearly missing from there. With vocals it'd be super useful. Not that it can't be done, but basically it requires a lot of manual work atm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird712 View Post
And it should be "pro's" not Leo's in the 3rd paragraph haha
Should be "pros", actually
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
I EAT VINYL FOR DINNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by krushing View Post
Also - there's no comping system in place to handle multiple takes effectively. I only use Live, and that's something that's clearly missing from there. With vocals it'd be super useful. Not that it can't be done, but basically it requires a lot of manual work atm.

Should be "pros", actually
are you a pro typo checker ? j/k
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblessin View Post
Ableton has fixed that problem with delay compensation. Truth be told it is all about labling. Pro tools is the standard because it is a brand that has been around for a while. Ableton is fully capable of mixing full projects because I have been doing so with it for 5 years. Ableton workflow is different than traditional daws, so many think it is not worthy. One thing that I would say ableton should do is have the capability of having session and clip view on different screens. Other than that ableton is a beast.
PDC doesn't fix the issue. this has been an ongoing complaint on the ableton forum. It's mainly just an issue with live performance though... ironically...
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Gear nut

I'm not saying you can't do everything in Ableton, but I think it's strength is beatmaking and DJing. Every DAW as has primary target audience. As long as the layout in Ableton is the way it is, people won't use it as much for recording even if it might be easier.

I mean it's the same type of thing the other way around. You can make beats with Pro Tools, Logic, Reaper, etc...but the way they're laid out makes it more comfortable to mix and record than anything else (in my opinion).

I can tell you that Ableton's direct competitor is FL Studio (and Bitwig when that comes out) because they're clearly primarily for beatmaking.
jbird712
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moraha View Post
I'm not saying you can't do everything in Ableton, but I think it's strength is beatmaking and DJing. Every DAW as has primary target audience. As long as the layout in Ableton is the way it is, people won't use it as much for recording even if it might be easier.

I mean it's the same type of thing the other way around. You can make beats with Pro Tools, Logic, Reaper, etc...but the way they're laid out makes it more comfortable to mix and record than anything else (in my opinion).

I can tell you that Ableton's direct competitor is FL Studio (and Bitwig when that comes out) because they're clearly primarily for beatmaking.
To go along with this, why are the instruments in Ableton not used so much. I always hear sounds from logic and reason used in professional tracks, but rarely (if ever) do I recognize an Ableton sound. As you said Ableton is the best beatmaking daw out there, but is there any reason other programs are used more often for the instruments?
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

No delay issues in Ableton with large sessions. Never.
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
I EAT VINYL FOR DINNER

cant wait in till push / abeltion 9 comes out .. anyone know of a date ?
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Gear addict

Well you got one happy Ableton Live user here and i'm quite happy with its mixing capabilities and sound quality.
Find me a perfect DAW and we could end this debate. But their isn't one.
Use what works best for you and fits your needs.
For me, Ableton is an awesome tool and has yet to let me down. (Although I do like the faders in Pro Tools a lot more)
I do like the ability of Pro Tools to load up as many tracks and what type of tracks you wants instantly before you start a session. Thats one of the features I did appreciate in Pro Tools as well.

Josh
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
www.KevWestBeats.com

Send a message via AIM to KevWest Send a message via MSN to KevWest Send a message via Skype™ to KevWest
I use Live and Reason because I want to. Other people use what they use because they want to. Its really that simple.
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Gear addict

As mentioned earlier comping multiple takes is an absolute nightmare in Ableton. For simple things it's fine but I wouldn't want to try and record a big vocal session in it!

I doubt that will ever change..

Workflow wise I'd either see how you get on with it or get used to recording final vox in something else.

Me personally I work up to final demo level in Ableton. Then when it's time to redo the vocals properly I bounce the instrumental to PT and do them there.

Pro Tools seems built for editing audio, the workflow is great!
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
To go along with this, why are the instruments in Ableton not used so much. I always hear sounds from logic and reason used in professional tracks, but rarely (if ever) do I recognize an Ableton sound. As you said Ableton is the best beatmaking daw out there, but is there any reason other programs are used more often for the instruments?
I bet electronic producers use Ableton sounds as a base to build from all the time.
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
www.KevWestBeats.com

Send a message via AIM to KevWest Send a message via MSN to KevWest Send a message via Skype™ to KevWest
Quote:
I'm sure a lot of people use them.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search