AKAI MPC3000 Complete Frustration!
New Reply
Subscribe
traxkeyzvox
24th December 2012
Old 24th December 2012
Gear nut

AKAI MPC3000 Complete Frustration!

(SIGH lol)..... OK, before someone goes off about how this has been talked about before/etc., i've searched & nothing directly matched my issue, so i'm posting a new thread (& please bear with me as i'm quite frustrated at this point): Does ANYONE know of a workaround for exchanging sounds between an Akai MPC3000 & a Desktop Computer (Windows 7 Ultiimate 64-bit PC)??? While the MPC3000 is new to me, i'm far from a novice when it comes to PC's (i've built every one I have owned with the exception of the 1st)... But i'm really at the end of my rope with this. I format the zip disk in the MPC (as suggested on numerous online forums/which takes TEN MINUTES), then I insert that MPC3000-formatted disc in my PC's zip drive & it won't open... Tells me I need to format it... But if I format it on the PC then drag my .snd/.au (MPC3000 format audio) files to it, the MPC3000 doesn't see the files... Then I start over at the beginning & experience the same outcome. So its like i'm running in circles & after trying everything I could find online (including A. the instructions at NoVolTrack which describe how to modify your Windows system registry so it doesn't make the disks unreadable AND B. "MPC Editor" [which was completely useless]), I still cannot get my PC to read the MPC3000-formatted zip disk or vice versa.

I'm running O.S. 3.11 & would LOVEEE to grab the Vailixi 3.50 O.S., but I realized from several comments online that it can no longer be had due to the fact that the guy is M.I.A. (even though his website is still up/running & taking people's money)... So whatever related benefits the Vailixi 3.50 O.S would add is irrelevant in my case because I don't have it. I'm currently using an external scsi zip drive with the MPC3000 & I was over here looking at installing an internal scsi zip drive or possibly even an internal flash card reader, so that I can have everything setup right inside the unit without all this external stuff... But if I can't even get the disk to open on my pc (which is where ALLL of my thousands of drum sounds are located), going through all that+spending the extra money is quite pointless. I'm like 2 seconds from taking this thing back to the store or selling it & i'd hate to do that because i've always wanted one, I love the swing/timing of the sequencer, I love the color/punch it adds to drums (when it's actually in operation, doing what it's meant to do) & it's in mint condition.

I know I could just go the "sample" route & manually record every single drum sound in one by one every tme I cut a record... But while that might be an option/last resort, I really don't want to be stuck having to "sample" everything in (due to the fact that my computer won't read the MPC3000-formatted zip disks & vice versa). I know some people may do it that way & probably couldn't care less about the time it adds to the process of getting tracks done, but I was aiming at throwing as many of my drum sounds as I can (or at least my favs) on zip disks, putting them in the MPC3000, sequencing in that (or sometimes using ProTools/Other DAWS to trigger it), & having the MPC3000 hold down the drum duties in my studio. This is a total workflow killer to me & I really didn't want to go for a Maschine/Renaissance or other similar "non-standalone" controller unit, but now I may reconsider if I can't resolve this. Hope someone can help, thanks

-trax

UPDATE:

PS-I just attempted a SDS Sample Dump Transfer with the C6 SYSEX Utility Software Program (as another means of possibly getting samples into my MPC).... I made sure all the correct MIDI channels were selected, prepared the MPC exactly as described in the manual & the software window just hung & never completed the sample transfer once I began the "send" process... What makes it worse is that I just tried to send ONE sound (a snare) & the filesize was like 41kb.... RUNNING OUT OF OPTIONS HERE!
24th December 2012
Old 24th December 2012
Lives for gear

This guys (vailixy)been away with peoples cash for what?1 year.....and the sites still up takin money.Surely that not legal and it can be closed.Some one must know him.
24th December 2012
Old 24th December 2012
Gear nut

Make sure your samples are only 16 bit.
24th December 2012
Old 24th December 2012
Lives for gear

If I used an MPC3000 I'd want an internal SCSI CF or Hard Drive and an external Apple CD300i SCSI CD ROM Drive. then I could load Akai CD ROMS and save them to the internal. Then, if ever I wanted some sounds I would use an MPC Patch Bank building program which saves in .pgm and or .snd format.

then I would load that in Chicken Systems translator and create an Akai S1000/S3000 CD. then load that in the Apple CD300 into the MPC3000.

I can't actually think of a more efficient way to do it than that. + you have an internal CF SCSI then.. which really are the best things.

when ever your MPC formats a drive, it will be hard to load it on a PC because the Drive Format is a DOS variant and computers can't see it.

have a read of this thread.. I don't use a PC so ...

MPC 5000 - Loading an Akai S1000 CD ROM - How?
25th December 2012
Old 25th December 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muser View Post
If I used an MPC3000 I'd want an internal SCSI CF or Hard Drive and an external Apple CD300i SCSI CD ROM Drive. then I could load Akai CD ROMS and save them to the internal. Then, if ever I wanted some sounds I would use an MPC Patch Bank building program which saves in .pgm and or .snd format.

then I would load that in Chicken Systems translator and create an Akai S1000/S3000 CD. then load that in the Apple CD300 into the MPC3000.

I can't actually think of a more efficient way to do it than that. + you have an internal CF SCSI then.. which really are the best things.

when ever your MPC formats a drive, it will be hard to load it on a PC because the Drive Format is a DOS variant and computers can't see it.

have a read of this thread.. I don't use a PC so ...

MPC 5000 - Loading an Akai S1000 CD ROM - How?
Thanks man!!! I'll check that out but i'm honestly preparing to just take it back to the store for a refund man. Shame because it's in mint condition & I was REALLY lookin forward to using this. But i'm a PC guy (Win 7 64-bit) & just can't convince myself to jump wayyyy back to Windows XP 32-bit (as someone on another site told me I would have to do) just to be able to read MPC3000-formatted disks/cards on the MPC & my computer. Its just tooo much work & too much headache for the time i'm at in my life right now as far as career & production in general.

Shoutouts to Darkchild & others who seem to make it work for them, but i'm guessing he's got that Vailixi 3.5 OS (along w/ everyone else but me lol) & reading MPC3000-formatted disks in the MPC AND the PC aren't an issue for him. I'm like we're up to Windows 8 now & even if I could actually locate my installation discs, i'm not about to install the dinosaur known as Windows Xp 32 just so that I can load/transfer my drum sounds between the 3000 & my computer.... Without the 3.5 OS, that leaves me with only one option which would be to sample every single drum sound into this thing, one-by-one, every single time I cut a new record (with no ability to pull it up on PC for fine-tuned editing, etc).... I'm cool on that LOL. I'm stuck until Wednesday since Guitar Center is closed for Christmas (& I couldn't catch them tonight)... But unless a miracle happens or I see something that I was missing (in that url you gave me), it's going back as soon as I get off work on 12/26/12 lol. Thanks again man & Have a Merry Christmas.

-trax
25th December 2012
Old 25th December 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by traxkeyzvox View Post
Thanks man!!! I'll check that out but i'm honestly preparing to just take it back to the store for a refund man. Shame because it's in mint condition & I was REALLY lookin forward to using this. But i'm a PC guy (Win 7 64-bit) & just can't convince myself to jump wayyyy back to Windows XP 32-bit (as someone on another site told me I would have to do) just to be able to read MPC3000-formatted disks/cards on the MPC & my computer. Its just tooo much work & too much headache for the time i'm at in my life right now as far as career & production in general.

Shoutouts to Darkchild & others who seem to make it work for them, but i'm guessing he's got that Vailixi 3.5 OS (along w/ everyone else but me lol) & reading MPC3000-formatted disks in the MPC AND the PC aren't an issue for him. I'm like we're up to Windows 8 now & even if I could actually locate my installation discs, i'm not about to install the dinosaur known as Windows Xp 32 just so that I can load/transfer my drum sounds between the 3000 & my computer.... Without the 3.5 OS, that leaves me with only one option which would be to sample every single drum sound into this thing, one-by-one, every single time I cut a new record (with no ability to pull it up on PC for fine-tuned editing, etc).... I'm cool on that LOL. I'm stuck until Wednesday since Guitar Center is closed for Christmas (& I couldn't catch them tonight)... But unless a miracle happens or I see something that I was missing (in that url you gave me), it's going back as soon as I get off work on 12/26/12 lol. Thanks again man & Have a Merry Christmas.

-trax
Spend a few hours one day sampling your sounds into it. How many sounds do you really need to be productive? I can sample 64 drum hits into the mpc in less than 10 minutes. If you are too lazy and impatient for that you can just sequence your virtual instruments via midi. I do both and the 3k is well worth the effort.

I'd recommend selling the 3k if you can't live without microwave fast convenience.

Cheers,

CS.
25th December 2012
Old 25th December 2012
Gear addict

I cosign with co-signer. Workstations like these really shine when the audio is sampled through the audio inputs. Even if you slice with the pc you can easily just play the chops to your mpc. Its faster than all these antique data transferring methods.

Have fun with the 3000!
25th December 2012
Old 25th December 2012
Gear addict

Honestly, I swear I remember seeing this issue discussed already over on mpc-forums.com, where there's an entire forum for just the MPC 3000. I'd say try searching over there.
traxkeyzvox
25th December 2012
Old 25th December 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by co-signer View Post
Spend a few hours one day sampling your sounds into it. How many sounds do you really need to be productive? I can sample 64 drum hits into the mpc in less than 10 minutes. If you are too lazy and impatient for that you can just sequence your virtual instruments via midi. I do both and the 3k is well worth the effort.

I'd recommend selling the 3k if you can't live without microwave fast convenience.

Cheers,

CS.
LOL you make it sound easy, but I think you'd have to be on my crazy schedule to understand why i'm trying to stay away from that. I get what you're saying tho. Just not how I want to work. Far from lazy, just don't want to spend hours sampling drum sounds that have already been sampled. Actually, it's not even that. Its the fact that I have to sit there & edit the start/end points & all that. Just madd tedious to me, I want to spend time creating music, not editing thousands of drum samples that I already edited & perfected on my computer (all the way down to the start/end times & transients). That's just me tho & as stated, I get what you're saying. Unless I run into Rohan & somehow end up with the Vailixi 3.5 O.S. by Wednesday, it's going back, so i'm sure somebody will make good use of it. I think my best bet is going to be the 4K according to how I want to work, & i'll make do in the box until then
traxkeyzvox
25th December 2012
Old 25th December 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remedial View Post
Honestly, I swear I remember seeing this issue discussed already over on mpc-forums.com, where there's an entire forum for just the MPC 3000. I'd say try searching over there.
Spent most of the day on there, saw similar items but my problems continued as far as me not being able to read the MPC3000-formatted disks on my PC & vise versa. I tried all mentioned remedies to no avail, hence my post on here :-). Thank you for mentioning the site tho, I truly appreciate all those who have tried to help
25th December 2012
Old 25th December 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Spent most of the day on there, saw similar items but my problems continued as far as me not being able to read the MPC3000-formatted disks on my PC & vise versa. I tried all mentioned remedies to no avail, hence my post on here :-). Thank you for mentioning the site tho, I truly appreciate all those who have tried to help
So you spent most of the day online reading when you could have been sampling your drum sounds and making beats on the MPC 3000 by now??

You're right, it's really not for you.
25th December 2012
Old 25th December 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via Skype™ to Ezionjd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpel View Post
So you spent most of the day online reading when you could have been sampling your drum sounds and making beats on the MPC 3000 by now??

Well pointed out
25th December 2012
Old 25th December 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via Skype™ to MIDIchlorian
Don't format the Zip disks,keep the Zip disk PC format.
Problem solved
25th December 2012
Old 25th December 2012
Lives for gear

I just sample my sounds in from pro tools. Works for me. It's well worth it.
25th December 2012
Old 25th December 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIDIchlorian View Post
Problem solved
I think that was one of the solutions that they came up with over on mpc-forums.com. I remember you had to format the disks in some form of the FAT file system in order for the disk to be readable by the 3k.

Also, to the OP, here's a link to a website that had lots of information regarding doing different upgrades to the 3k.

MPC3000

Another thing to consider is that the SCSI port on many MPC's tend to go bad at some point and most external zip drives are even worse with their reliability.

Just like you, I ditched a 3k for a 4000 and it's more PC/MAC friendly nature. I loved that 3k, though...
25th December 2012
Old 25th December 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
LOL you make it sound easy, but I think you'd have to be on my crazy schedule to understand why i'm trying to stay away from that. I get what you're saying tho. Just not how I want to work. Far from lazy, just don't want to spend hours sampling drum sounds that have already been sampled. Actually, it's not even that. Its the fact that I have to sit there & edit the start/end points & all that. Just madd tedious to me, I want to spend time creating music, not editing thousands of drum samples that I already edited & perfected on my computer (all the way down to the start/end times & transients). That's just me tho & as stated, I get what you're saying. Unless I run into Rohan & somehow end up with the Vailixi 3.5 O.S. by Wednesday, it's going back, so i'm sure somebody will make good use of it. I think my best bet is going to be the 4K according to how I want to work, & i'll make do in the box until then
I feel you on this. I sure would not want to spend hours resampling kicks that that I've already edited on my comp. I'm all about getting stuff done quickly because I've recently developed this habit where, if I work too long on a track, I start to overthink it or the track just starts to grate on me. Some times it does work out favorably though because I end up revising stuff that may have sounded like a good idea during hour one but during hour sixteen really doesn't fit.

Honestly, I don't think the issue is the 3k. I'm thinking it's the zip drive, if anything. I'll say that, if you CAN just return the unit and switch right over to a 4k, do it. Your life will be that much simpler.

But, like someone else suggested, you could try sampling your drums into the 3k which allows you to sample them hot and get a more punchy sound. Now, I wouldn't suggest sitting down and sampling ALL of them in one swoop, but, maybe you could figure out what kick or kicks you want to use for a particular track by going auditioning them on your PC and then just sampling those into the 3k for that project/track.

I think that's a pretty good middle ground.
traxkeyzvox
25th December 2012
Old 25th December 2012
Gear nut

LOL comedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpel View Post

Master of the obvious lol. Do you think that's how I wanted to spend my day off??? HELL NO!!! But did I want this thing to work in the way I thought it could before I purchased it??? ABSOLUTELY... That's the ONLY reason why I did that, unlike some ppl who would have just given up & took it right back to the store. The good thing is that there are people out there who truly have attempted to help & at this very moment i'm reading over a post someone else left (at another forum) advising of how they got MIDI SDS to work in Windows 7 64-bit. And that post JUST came through... So as much as I didn't want to be spending most of the day online trying to get answers, I knew that someone intelligent & helpful would eventually come along to assist.

Some posts are helpful, some are not. Yours was not, but i'll take it when I know that eventually i'll get to the gold. & i'm not a "beat-maker", i'm a producer who has been working in ProTools/other programs for longer than I can remember. So when you are used to working in that manner, you're used to the luxuries of having things at instant recall/drag-drop status instead of sitting around sampling half-second long drums into another machine one-by-one & then spending another 5-10 minutes per pad just trying to set start & end points (when all of the above was already done in advance). You might be used to working like that, but i'm not & if I can use this thing in a manner where I can keep my workflow the same, that's what i'm going to do. It's not that i'm refusing to learn something new or spend a little extra time... The learning never stops to this day & sometimes it DOES take longer when you're after a certain sound. But sitting around sampling drums that have already been edited to perfection (& doing so on EVERY SINGLE RECORD) is not the route I was trying to take. Thanks!
traxkeyzvox
25th December 2012
Old 25th December 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIDIchlorian View Post
Problem solved
I attempted this but the MPC would not read the files. I kept it PC format, & dragged 3 small .snd format drum samples onto the zip disk. I put it in the MPC & no matter what I did, the sounds would not pull up.
traxkeyzvox
25th December 2012
Old 25th December 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
I think that was one of the solutions that they came up with over on mpc-forums.com. I remember you had to format the disks in some form of the FAT file system in order for the disk to be readable by the 3k.

Also, to the OP, here's a link to a website that had lots of information regarding doing different upgrades to the 3k.

MPC3000

Another thing to consider is that the SCSI port on many MPC's tend to go bad at some point and most external zip drives are even worse with their reliability.

Just like you, I ditched a 3k for a 4000 and it's more PC/MAC friendly nature. I loved that 3k, though...
Thanks man!!!! I'll check that out! Yea, i'll be spending most of the day today with family, but i'll have a couple hours to check on a few more things before making my decision of whether or not to take it back tomorrow at lunch. My mind is close to being made up tho. This thing is so clean it's stupid, but if I can't have the option of saving my drum sounds to zip disk from my PC then simply loading those onto the 3000, it's a wrap... Some kats are indicating that most samplers (including the 3K) shine when sampling things into them instead of "loading" sounds from disk, but I spoke to Bruce Forat himself & even he indicated that the real tone on the 3K comes from the outputs & not the inputs (which is why he does the "output boost" mod. as opposed to an "input boost" mod.). But right now it's definitely sounding like the 4K is gonna be my best option & from the few soundcloud tracks i've heard, it gets the job done!!
25th December 2012
Old 25th December 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRACKPIPE View Post
I just sample my sounds in from pro tools. Works for me. It's well worth it.
Same here, I keep a dedicated pair of PT outputs wired to the 3k. There's not much trimming of samples as long as you set your sample time correctly in the 3k.

CS.
traxkeyzvox
25th December 2012
Old 25th December 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
I feel you on this. I sure would not want to spend hours resampling kicks that that I've already edited on my comp. I'm all about getting stuff done quickly because I've recently developed this habit where, if I work too long on a track, I start to overthink it or the track just starts to grate on me. Some times it does work out favorably though because I end up revising stuff that may have sounded like a good idea during hour one but during hour sixteen really doesn't fit.

Honestly, I don't think the issue is the 3k. I'm thinking it's the zip drive, if anything. I'll say that, if you CAN just return the unit and switch right over to a 4k, do it. Your life will be that much simpler.

But, like someone else suggested, you could try sampling your drums into the 3k which allows you to sample them hot and get a more punchy sound. Now, I wouldn't suggest sitting down and sampling ALL of them in one swoop, but, maybe you could figure out what kick or kicks you want to use for a particular track by going auditioning them on your PC and then just sampling those into the 3k for that project/track.

I think that's a pretty good middle ground.
See and I actually thought of doing that man!!! Just sampling in some kicks & snares... Then I was like "well damn, I spent how much on this & i'm only using 2 or 3 pads" LOL. & I actually sampled in one tom just as a "test-run" & it literally took me like 10 minutes just to get the start/end points right. That was when I became turned off like wow, this is not what I signed up for lol. I don't know man, i'm gonna figure it out by tomorrow. In the end, it's not like i'm at a huge loss because I can still take it back & either get the 4K or just stick to working in the box until I figure out which route to take. Someone on another site mentioned how they loaded up C6 (after seeing my post) & was able to get a sample transfer going via MIDI SDS... But of course it would only send them mono & neither of us are aware of how to merge two l/r mono pads onto one l/r stereo pad. It's always something I guess lol. But yea, thanks man, i'm gonna figure this out!!!!!!! At the end of the day, I really don't wanna get rid of it lol
25th December 2012
Old 25th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Then I was like "well damn, I spent how much on this & i'm only using 2 or 3 pads" LOL. & I actually sampled in one tom just as a "test-run" & it literally took me like 10 minutes just to get the start/end points right. That was when I became turned off like wow, this is not what I signed up for lol.
erm......thats what you did actually sign up for.Less is more with the old gear.
25th December 2012
Old 25th December 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
See and I actually thought of doing that man!!! Just sampling in some kicks & snares... Then I was like "well damn, I spent how much on this & i'm only using 2 or 3 pads" LOL. & I actually sampled in one tom just as a "test-run" & it literally took me like 10 minutes just to get the start/end points right. That was when I became turned off like wow, this is not what I signed up for lol. I don't know man, i'm gonna figure it out by tomorrow. In the end, it's not like i'm at a huge loss because I can still take it back & either get the 4K or just stick to working in the box until I figure out which route to take. Someone on another site mentioned how they loaded up C6 (after seeing my post) & was able to get a sample transfer going via MIDI SDS... But of course it would only send them mono & neither of us are aware of how to merge two l/r mono pads onto one l/r stereo pad. It's always something I guess lol. But yea, thanks man, i'm gonna figure this out!!!!!!! At the end of the day, I really don't wanna get rid of it lol
As far as merging two l/r mono samples, you just assign them to two different pads and give them the same note/pad number so they can play simultaneously. I think that's how it works on the 3k. On the 2kxl you can add two to four sounds to one pad, I think.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin
25th December 2012
Old 25th December 2012
Lives for gear

I think the OP might be better off with an MPC 4K. The problem is people wanting maximum integration both from and to a computer. That's not how it works really with MPC's. even with an MPC 4K if ever you want what you've done on it back in a computer, you will have to record the outputs for separation.

you have to figure out what an MPC is good for and what it's not good for.
if you only concentrate on what you can't do, you will forever chase your tail.
what you have with the MPC 3K is a stand alone unit that has a great track record.
but MPC's can not fully integrate with a computer. The MPC 4K / 5K & 2500 are the closest but still only (from) the computer. not so much back TO it.

Also remember that the MPC has a nice set of pads which can transmit midi to any big Drum plugin. so it's not too hard to use the midi you made on the MPC to trigger larger drum libraries if you need to.

why not just get one of those simple drum bank building utilities and save those to floppy and load into your MPC. it will be most of the general work you need to do for comp to MPC Transfer. I think the MPC can read DOS formated Floppies. maybe an MPC 3K user can confirm that.
25th December 2012
Old 25th December 2012
Gear maniac

25th December 2012
Old 25th December 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
(SIGH lol)..... OK, before someone goes off about how this has been talked about before/etc., i've searched & nothing directly matched my issue, so i'm posting a new thread (& please bear with me as i'm quite frustrated at this point): Does ANYONE know of a workaround for exchanging sounds between an Akai MPC3000 & a Desktop Computer (Windows 7 Ultiimate 64-bit PC)??? While the MPC3000 is new to me, i'm far from a novice when it comes to PC's (i've built every one I have owned with the exception of the 1st)... But i'm really at the end of my rope with this. I format the zip disk in the MPC (as suggested on numerous online forums/which takes TEN MINUTES), then I insert that MPC3000-formatted disc in my PC's zip drive & it won't open... Tells me I need to format it... But if I format it on the PC then drag my .snd/.au (MPC3000 format audio) files to it, the MPC3000 doesn't see the files... Then I start over at the beginning & experience the same outcome. So its like i'm running in circles & after trying everything I could find online (including A. the instructions at NoVolTrack which describe how to modify your Windows system registry so it doesn't make the disks unreadable AND B. "MPC Editor" [which was completely useless]), I still cannot get my PC to read the MPC3000-formatted zip disk or vice versa.

I'm running O.S. 3.11 & would LOVEEE to grab the Vailixi 3.50 O.S., but I realized from several comments online that it can no longer be had due to the fact that the guy is M.I.A. (even though his website is still up/running & taking people's money)... So whatever related benefits the Vailixi 3.50 O.S would add is irrelevant in my case because I don't have it. I'm currently using an external scsi zip drive with the MPC3000 & I was over here looking at installing an internal scsi zip drive or possibly even an internal flash card reader, so that I can have everything setup right inside the unit without all this external stuff... But if I can't even get the disk to open on my pc (which is where ALLL of my thousands of drum sounds are located), going through all that+spending the extra money is quite pointless. I'm like 2 seconds from taking this thing back to the store or selling it & i'd hate to do that because i've always wanted one, I love the swing/timing of the sequencer, I love the color/punch it adds to drums (when it's actually in operation, doing what it's meant to do) & it's in mint condition.

I know I could just go the "sample" route & manually record every single drum sound in one by one every tme I cut a record... But while that might be an option/last resort, I really don't want to be stuck having to "sample" everything in (due to the fact that my computer won't read the MPC3000-formatted zip disks & vice versa). I know some people may do it that way & probably couldn't care less about the time it adds to the process of getting tracks done, but I was aiming at throwing as many of my drum sounds as I can (or at least my favs) on zip disks, putting them in the MPC3000, sequencing in that (or sometimes using ProTools/Other DAWS to trigger it), & having the MPC3000 hold down the drum duties in my studio. This is a total workflow killer to me & I really didn't want to go for a Maschine/Renaissance or other similar "non-standalone" controller unit, but now I may reconsider if I can't resolve this. Hope someone can help, thanks

-trax

UPDATE:

PS-I just attempted a SDS Sample Dump Transfer with the C6 SYSEX Utility Software Program (as another means of possibly getting samples into my MPC).... I made sure all the correct MIDI channels were selected, prepared the MPC exactly as described in the manual & the software window just hung & never completed the sample transfer once I began the "send" process... What makes it worse is that I just tried to send ONE sound (a snare) & the filesize was like 41kb.... RUNNING OUT OF OPTIONS HERE!
Buy my external CF card reader that I am selling for your 3000 and issue solved.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
traxkeyzvox
25th December 2012
Old 25th December 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muser View Post
I think the OP might be better off with an MPC 4K. The problem is people wanting maximum integration both from and to a computer. That's not how it works really with MPC's. even with an MPC 4K if ever you want what you've done on it back in a computer, you will have to record the outputs for separation.

you have to figure out what an MPC is good for and what it's not good for.
if you only concentrate on what you can't do, you will forever chase your tail.
what you have with the MPC 3K is a stand alone unit that has a great track record.
but MPC's can not fully integrate with a computer. The MPC 4K / 5K & 2500 are the closest but still only (from) the computer. not so much back TO it.

Also remember that the MPC has a nice set of pads which can transmit midi to any big Drum plugin. so it's not too hard to use the midi you made on the MPC to trigger larger drum libraries if you need to.

why not just get one of those simple drum bank building utilities and save those to floppy and load into your MPC. it will be most of the general work you need to do for comp to MPC Transfer. I think the MPC can read DOS formated Floppies. maybe an MPC 3K user can confirm that.
My goal was to use it in 3 ways. To #1 sequence with it on certain tracks (mainly hip-hop) when I want that swing that only the mpc can give & to #2 use it as a controller/trigger for certain in-the-box sounds that don't quite need the girth that comes from analog... I have been using a program called "Poise" & have enjoyed it, but my main reason for wanting to go the MPC route (beyond all I mentioned above) was so that I could #3 get that analog girth that my ears instantly recognize 95% of the time whenever a drum track comes out of the MP3K/2KXl & a few others. Not that it can't be done in the box, but many argue that it's not quite the same as running drums through the analog circuitry of the MPC's.

I don't have a problem recording kick/snare/toms/misc percussion one-by-one out of the MPC back into the computer, especially considering that the MP3K comes with 8 outs stock... But the issue I have is the process of sitting here editing individual samples, one-by-one (all the way down to the individual samples start/stop times), when I know that I already have the samples edited & ready to go. Unlike some ppl who use MPCs, i'm a perfectionist when it comes to the slightest little "click", S/N imbalance, transient or note cut off on each individual sample, so over a certain period of time altogether, i've already spent hours editing all of my drums in the computer (THOUSANDS of samples)... For this reason, it's hard for me to wrap my mind around going through that all over again on a small LCD screen (& without as much accuracy)... Some ppl call it lazy, I call it time conscious & eager to maintain a certain workflow that i've grown accustomed to. Aside from getting that output boost mod from Forat, all I would need in this case, of course, is to be able to load my samples into the MPC from a disk & i'd be good lol. Had I only known that I would have so many problems doing that... But yea, I may end up going for the 4K. I'll know by tomorrow once I mess with the 3K a little longer.
traxkeyzvox
25th December 2012
Old 25th December 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_effekt View Post
MPC Editor

End of thread.
I WISH!!! LOL nah but I tried that & sadly it did nothing for me. I was under the impression that you could format disks to the MPC3000 format (within MPC Editor), save the samples/programs to that newly formatted disk (within MPC Editor), then load them into the MP3K... It wouldn't do that & upon looking under each menu, it didn't even give any option to format the disk... Messed with it for a while & could not get it to do what ppl say it's supposed to do. Maybe that's because I had the free version, but i'm a firm believer in avoiding the paid version if the free version is so trimmed-down that it leaves you unable to confirm whether or not the full "paid" version would meet your needs.
traxkeyzvox
25th December 2012
Old 25th December 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireworks View Post
Buy my external CF card reader that I am selling for your 3000 and issue solved.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
And being that I don't have any SCSI ports on my PC, I would have to buy an additional CF Card reader for my PC, correct??? More than anything, the deal closer for me is whether or not Windows 7 64-bit will read it, because it's certainly not reading the zip disks (it's telling me that they need to be formatted & i've been in circles with this since yesterday)... If Windows 7 64-bit will read the CF disks & it has been tested/proven to do so, shoot me a URL/model # & i'll check it out. I want to have my mind made up by tomorrow lol thanks for replying!
25th December 2012
Old 25th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I WISH!!! LOL nah but I tried that & sadly it did nothing for me. I was under the impression that you could format disks to the MPC3000 format (within MPC Editor), save the samples/programs to that newly formatted disk (within MPC Editor), then load them into the MP3K... It wouldn't do that & upon looking under each menu, it didn't even give any option to format the disk... Messed with it for a while & could not get it to do what ppl say it's supposed to do. Maybe that's because I had the free version, but i'm a firm believer in avoiding the paid version if the free version is so trimmed-down that it leaves you unable to confirm whether or not the full "paid" version would meet your needs.
if it's possible to buy a new floppy disk and the MPC3000 accesses it without having to format it, then it's likely your comp and the MPC can both play with the same floppy.

a CF card and HD and CD will probably be a different matter though. they likely won't work so easily.. though I think there are techniques to mount and use CF.. hence the thread link.. Don Solaris uses CF SCSI units with Akai 3000 samplers.

I've done similar things using an Akai Utility on a Mac for MPC1000 then saved it as a prg and loaded that in a Roland MV8000. The 1st thing you need to know is that your MPC3K reads a floppy in it's normal state. Also, you might be able to DOS format a floppy on your PC because nowadays the Floppy might be in Fat Format when yoo buy them, not DOS. I think you can do that on a PC, but you need a PC Floppy Drive and a utility.. not sure what the DOS utility might be.

There's not really many ways to do it. but you could do it better with an MPC 4K. I think if these are your stipulations you chose the wrong hardware.

People choose MPC 3K for very specific reasons.. but those don't include your kind of specifications.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search