Login / Register

AKAI MPC3000 Complete Frustration!
New Reply
Subscribe
25th December 2012
Old 25th December 2012
Lives for gear

i've run into similar problems to OP attempting to transfer files in between my MAC/PC and my 60II which shares the same OS as the 3K (3.11). i've tried MPC editor and a myriad of other methods with a 10% success rate so i've basically given up on it.. not that big of a deal since indeed sampling through the inputs is how you best benefit from the samplers color.. still it's a bit of a PITA in this day & age especially creating large programs but so it is with these old relics. btw i'm sure there is a viable transfer method i just haven't figure it out yet... OP might be better off with a 2000XL, 4000 or Renaissance..
traxkeyzvox
26th December 2012
Old 26th December 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanax View Post
i've run into similar problems to OP attempting to transfer files in between my MAC/PC and my 60II which shares the same OS as the 3K (3.11). i've tried MPC editor and a myriad of other methods with a 10% success rate so i've basically given up on it.. not that big of a deal since indeed sampling through the inputs is how you best benefit from the samplers color.. still it's a bit of a PITA in this day & age especially creating large programs but so it is with these old relics. btw i'm sure there is a viable transfer method i just haven't figure it out yet... OP might be better off with a 2000XL, 4000 or Renaissance..
Do you know if the 2000XL can work in the way i'm desiring (as far as being able to load sounds from a windows-formatted floppy/zip disk)? Because I was thinking that it would not, whiich of course means that it would give me the same grief as what i'm experiencing now. If it does, then that would be GREAT because my ultimate goal (assuming I don't figure out this 3K situation by tomorrow) is to have a 4K that stays in the studio, then a 2KXL to use at gigs/etc(+in the studio when I want a slightly more crunchy sound in the upper midrange [snares/etc]). Or I might just grab a rackmount S2000 (assuming that it will let me load sounds lol) & use that in the studio on occasion, while using the 2KXL strictly when i'm out & about. Decisions decisions lol. As for the Renaissance, I was sold on it up until I found out that it's not a standalone unit but rather a controller that will not work without being attached to a computer... Having no laptop at the moment takes me out of the running for now :-)
26th December 2012
Old 26th December 2012
Lives for gear

Get an MPC 2500 or 1000. They have USB transfer, flash cards and hard drives or solid state hard drive, more RAM and JJOS, plus it's stand alone. Get on with making music.
26th December 2012
Old 26th December 2012
Lives for gear

@traxkeyzvox: yea the 2000XL is a lot more computer friendly since it reads win dos partitions natively and even wav format files... there was also a great PC program maker for it although i forget the name.. it's really the first computer era MPC.. and still has that akai japan 90's sound.. i use mine in tandem with the 60II great combo..
26th December 2012
Old 26th December 2012
Gear Head

I bought a 3000 last week (my first MPC) and have been recording the tracks I create that I want to save into Ableton.

I ordered an internal CF reader.. the MPC 3k isn't too complicated.. I get better/faster with it every time I turn it on and it's only been a week. Keep at it.. there is not much to it imo. There are a few things I'm still learning, but for the most part it makes it simple!
traxkeyzvox
26th December 2012
Old 26th December 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Company Hen View Post
I bought a 3000 last week (my first MPC) and have been recording the tracks I create that I want to save into Ableton.

I ordered an internal CF reader.. the MPC 3k isn't too complicated.. I get better/faster with it every time I turn it on and it's only been a week. Keep at it.. there is not much to it imo. There are a few things I'm still learning, but for the most part it makes it simple!
Thanks for the reply! Have you installed/began using the internal CF reader as of yet or is it still on the way??? Also, what operating system are you using on #1 the computer AND #2 the MPC3000??? I would have a ray of hope if I could find someone who has my same Computer/OS versions (PC/Windows 7 64-bit for the computer, 3.11 OS on the MPC3000) & could confirm that they are #1 saving files to a CF card inside their computer & then #2 successfully loading those files into the MPC 3K from that same CF card. That would at least let me know that it can be done & I wouldn't be running out buying 2 CF card readers only to have the same problems i'm having with the zip! If it DID end up working with CF cards in the way i'm desiring, i'd wonder why the heck it won't work with ZIP disks being that it's presumably the same type of thing... But in the end, I really wouldn't care because i'd be too overjoyed with the fact that the damn thing is finally working the way I want it to lol
traxkeyzvox
26th December 2012
Old 26th December 2012
Gear nut

26th December 2012
Old 26th December 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by traxkeyzvox View Post
Thanks man!!!! I'll check that out! Yea, i'll be spending most of the day today with family, but i'll have a couple hours to check on a few more things before making my decision of whether or not to take it back tomorrow at lunch. My mind is close to being made up tho. This thing is so clean it's stupid, but if I can't have the option of saving my drum sounds to zip disk from my PC then simply loading those onto the 3000, it's a wrap... Some kats are indicating that most samplers (including the 3K) shine when sampling things into them instead of "loading" sounds from disk, but I spoke to Bruce Forat himself & even he indicated that the real tone on the 3K comes from the outputs & not the inputs (which is why he does the "output boost" mod. as opposed to an "input boost" mod.). But right now it's definitely sounding like the 4K is gonna be my best option & from the few soundcloud tracks i've heard, it gets the job done!!
The magic is on input and output, clip the input slightly and you will see why.

Sampling into the 3000 is easy and quick, quality over quantity. Can't blame you for trying to get the sounds on disks first though!
26th December 2012
Old 26th December 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleckain View Post
The magic is on input and output, clip the input slightly and you will see why.

Sampling into the 3000 is easy and quick, quality over quantity. Can't blame you for trying to get the sounds on disks first though!
Yeah I agree entirely, scratch your #3 off your list if your NOT going to sample into the 3000. Loading computer made files the 3k won't sound much different, it's when you sample into it, when you get the classic beefy sound. Also, the 2000xl is a great machine but I think people are fooled thinking it has a classic beefy sound too. It doesn't, its tinny in comparison, and I think the newer MPCs sound much more punchier IMO. Just cause 2xl is old doesn't mean it sounds better, and I used one for 6 years plus, before I bought a 60.
wreckingstuff
26th December 2012
Old 26th December 2012
wreckingstuff

Quote:
Determined to get to the bottom of this.... Alas, BEST 2 THREADS I HAVE FOUND THUS FAR (still not sure if the CF cards can be read in Windows 7 64-bit tho lol):

Mpc 3000 scsi card reader-where to buy
MPC 3000 card reader
If you are determined to transfer files (against all advice) why don't you just grab an old pentium or whatever running xp32, and use it just for this purpose, you could probably get one for next to nothing.
26th December 2012
Old 26th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV1200 View Post
Also, the 2000xl is a great machine but I think people are fooled thinking it has a classic beefy sound too. It doesn't, its tinny in comparison, and I think the newer MPCs sound much more punchier IMO. Just cause 2xl is old doesn't mean it sounds better, and I used one for 6 years plus, before I bought a 60.
i never said it sounds "beefy" but it certainly has that characteristic late 90s akai sound. a bit thin and metallic but very percussive and nice stereo field. i use mine for chopping/playing loops and the 60 on drum duties. besides if it's good enough for Pete Rock, it's good enough for me

Pete Rock Speaks On His Indelible Use Of The MPC 2000XL - YouTube
26th December 2012
Old 26th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckingstuff View Post
If you are determined to transfer files (against all advice) why don't you just grab an old pentium or whatever running xp32, and use it just for this purpose, you could probably get one for next to nothing.
Or go to a big office building and i'm sure you will FIND an old pc that is being thrown out. I've always wanted to be an mpc user but coming from an asr-x i could never get used to the overly complicated sampling/program workflow. Thats why I was shocked to see that they even implemented the same workflow in the Ren. On the asr-x all you have to do is set the threshold so you won't have to trim your drum samples then hit sample. Also, no setting of sample time required. I know it may take the fun out of it but aren't there tons of 3000 drumkits on disks for sale?
26th December 2012
Old 26th December 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Thanks for the reply! Have you installed/began using the internal CF reader as of yet or is it still on the way??? Also, what operating system are you using on #1 the computer AND #2 the MPC3000??? I would have a ray of hope if I could find someone who has my same Computer/OS versions (PC/Windows 7 64-bit for the computer, 3.11 OS on the MPC3000) & could confirm that they are #1 saving files to a CF card inside their computer & then #2 successfully loading those files into the MPC 3K from that same CF card. That would at least let me know that it can be done & I wouldn't be running out buying 2 CF card readers only to have the same problems i'm having with the zip! If it DID end up working with CF cards in the way i'm desiring, i'd wonder why the heck it won't work with ZIP disks being that it's presumably the same type of thing... But in the end, I really wouldn't care because i'd be too overjoyed with the fact that the damn thing is finally working the way I want it to lol
The CF is on the way. Being shipping from the UK to US so it may be another week b/c of customs and Christmas.

I have a PC on Windows 7 and a Macbook Pro.. I can use both, but I've been recording into the PC because it's a desktop right next to where I have my MPC. The MPC is 3.11 OS (for now) but I am trying to upgrade to 3.5 once I get in touch with a guy who has it.

I can't do the CF stuff yet but I will let you know when it arrives. I've literally been starting with a blank slate with the MPC and sampling breaks and loops off vinyl and chopping them up, recording via the MPC sequencer, then recording that into ableton. (I think).
26th December 2012
Old 26th December 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to s12512
You can just get an old PowerBook or something like that and use a program called "MpcProgramMaker". I have a USB Zip drive and just put the zips in my computer and it reads mpc3000 disks. And u can just drag wavs to the program to make prgm's! Works perfectly. Can read all your mpc3000 Pgm files and can change the snd files into waves and vice versa. I sometimes make my prgm's with that. Also if you go the sampling route, learn how to adjust your threshold and duration and you won't have to do any editing. Just assign it to a pad and its already perfect! That should take all of 10min half sleep to learn that!! Good luck dude!!

http://www.Twitter.com/kevin3001
traxkeyzvox
26th December 2012
Old 26th December 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Company Hen View Post
The CF is on the way. Being shipping from the UK to US so it may be another week b/c of customs and Christmas.

I have a PC on Windows 7 and a Macbook Pro.. I can use both, but I've been recording into the PC because it's a desktop right next to where I have my MPC. The MPC is 3.11 OS (for now) but I am trying to upgrade to 3.5 once I get in touch with a guy who has it.

I can't do the CF stuff yet but I will let you know when it arrives. I've literally been starting with a blank slate with the MPC and sampling breaks and loops off vinyl and chopping them up, recording via the MPC sequencer, then recording that into ableton. (I think).
Keep me updated on the CF transfers to/from Windows 7, man (& let me know if ur runnin 64-bit or 32-bit)!!!! I'll add u as a contact & i'll check in if I dont' hear from u 1st!!! Thanks again, man!
26th December 2012
Old 26th December 2012
Gear Head

Fasho I use gmail it's my username with no spaces @gmail.com hit me up!
traxkeyzvox
26th December 2012
Old 26th December 2012
Gear nut

Update.... :-(

UPDATE:

WOW!!!! I would reply to EACH one of you one-by-one but I don't want to flood this thread... Thank you all SOOO much for all the help & comments!!!! Just wanted to post an update... I'll explain my reasoning, but I can say that sadly the MPC3000 is on it's way back to to original Guitar Center location I got it from... I stayed up last night just to give it one last swing based off all info I gathered & in the end I decided that it was best to just take it back before my 30 days ran out.... Maybe i'll revisit it again in the future once I have a bit more wiggle room & cash to spare... But in the end/after trying it every which way, I could not get my computer to read the MPC3000-formatted zip disk, nor could I get it to format one in the MPC3K format using the full version of MPC editor... Even though I would have gladly sampled individual sounds into it as needed (at least for kicks & snares), I just didn't want to have to "settle" for never having the ability to load sounds from a disk (especially given the fact that I spent just shy of a stack on it, which obviously nearly could have gotten me a Renaissance lol)... Also tried the MIDI SDS a few more times using some configuration tips from another forum (just tried to send a single 48KB snare through in .snd format, w/ 4 letters in the filename) & C6 just hung & once again never completed the transfer... I was done at that point.

After all the info I gathered from this forum & a couple others, I realized that I would have had to spend another $200-$500 (or slightly more) on CF flash readers+IDE>SCSI adapters+cabling/CF cards if I got 1 for the MPC AND one for the PC... & that's JUST to be able to load/transfer my drum sounds, which still quite possibly wouldn't be readable in Windows 7 64-bit... I could have tried to use Windows XP 32-bit for the job, & now that I think about it, I actually have another computer just sitting at the house that I believe has XP/32 on there... But even still, I just didn't wanna be bothered with all that... I know some ppl would disagree man, but to me it's just stupid to have to either A. spend $200-$500+ more dollars on 2 CF card readers (which may or may NOT work)+necessary accessories or B. have an entire older computer/os taking up precious space, solely dedicated to loading sounds to/from the MPC3000 (all because my brand new computer+OS won't read/format the MPC3000 zip disks using MPCEDITOR or what have you)...

More than anything tho, without official confirmation of whether or not a Windows 7 64-bit PC will read MPC3000-formatted CF cards, I just didn't wanna chance spending that kind of cash on 2 CF readers & STILL end up not being able to read the CF cards... So I took it back, cashed my refund check & got a... wait for it...... MPC2000XL.... LOL yup, tried & true... Clean, with 8 outs+internal zip, $337.89 shipped... Listen, I REALLY wanted a 4000... But I kid you not when I tell you that EVERY GC store I called w/ a used 4K in stock said that theirs had issues (but being the geniuses they are, they listed them for sale anyway & conveniently left off the star ratings :-\)... One even had NO hard drive (which meant no sounds), possibly TWO non-functional pads, PLUS a broken CD-rom & they still had the AUDACITY to list it for $799.99... ... Unbelievable... But its clear that the 4K must be somewhat more fragile than other models & it's BAFFLING to see so many lemons out there (especially after hearing so many ppl rave about them on here & elsewhere)... Guess that's why I tend to go for older gear since the build quality of most newer gear seemingly continues to go downhill.

Coulda grabbed a 4K on eBay for about the same price as what I paid for the 3K... I'm cool tho, i'll deal with the 2000XL 4 now... Call me crazy, but I might grab a 3K once again in the future if I can either A. get that damn Vailixi 3.5 OS or B. confirm that Win 7 64-bit WILL work with the CF cards... As for the 2KXL, I think i'll like it for what I need & from what i've read I think it should work out much better for me... Maybe not as thick as the 3000 from what several have said in this thread & elsewhere, but I got madd outboard gear (2 DBX 160X's, other compressors, enhancers, etc) & my boy stays 100% in the box (& his drums KNOCK)..... So I KNOW I can get mine to do the same, especially if I bribe him to show me a few more his mixing secrets LOL... But yea, i'm str8. PLUS i'm lookin at roughly an extra $425 in the wallet at this point & can use that for some other gear I need lol Thanks again, all

-trax
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
Lives for gear

long story short - I think you've figured out what others have, that unless you are into sampling the MPC3000 isn't really the MPC for you. when it comes to older kit if you are not into suffering a bit for the sake of using it, or if you don't want to use the work flow that was about in 90's then buy something else. sounds like 2000xl was better choice for you, and if anyone insults its sound quality ignore them, its BS.

transferring from computer to the 3000 is a PITA, its not impossible but its not convenient either. I'm largely into sampling so its not much of an issue for me.

I could have sorted you out with a CF drive and 'informed' you how to get 3.5os too btw

"Kid, I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to make me believe there's one all-powerful Mojo controlling everything. There's no mystical Mojo that controls my destiny. Anyway, it's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense."

Keep on keeping on,
Frank
traxkeyzvox
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEED78 View Post
long story short - I think you've figured out what others have, that unless you are into sampling the MPC3000 isn't really the MPC for you. when it comes to older kit if you are not into suffering a bit for the sake of using it, or if you don't want to use the work flow that was about in 90's then buy something else. sounds like 2000xl was better choice for you, and if anyone insults its sound quality ignore them, its BS.

transferring from computer to the 3000 is a PITA, its not impossible but its not convenient either. I'm largely into sampling so its not much of an issue for me.

I could have sorted you out with a CF drive and 'informed' you how to get 3.5os too btw
Hey man, you're right on that one!!! Hopefully I have better luck with the 2000XL until i'm ready to get the 4K/ren or possibly revisit the 3K. Check your PM on here when u get a sec, I sent u something!
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
Lives for gear

next MPC (if any) I try will be the 4000 - but the 2000xl is very cool and lot of good hip hop has been made on 2000xl's
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
Gear maniac

The mpc 3000 is a antique. I sold it asap. Just too old for to days world. The 4000 is what I use. And kills the 3k easy

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
Lives for gear

I dunno - 99.9% of hiphop is straight up enough that it can be done on a 3000. only really restrictive stuff I've found is small amount of pad cut offs and the lack of aiff/wav support - 4000 does that and more, but you can make a banger on either.

I find it takes no time at all to put a beat together in the 3000 - would love to try a 4000 out though.
traxkeyzvox
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireworks View Post
The mpc 3000 is a antique. I sold it asap. Just too old for to days world. The 4000 is what I use. And kills the 3k easy

What would you say are the biggest things to look out for when shopping for a used 4K??? I was SOOO close to snagging one the other day, but man every used one I found at Guitar Center had issues!!! Every single one... As much as I wanted the 4K, that makes me nervous... Like if it doesn't have issues already (when I get it), i'm worried that it will develop them shortly after, then i'm s.o.l.... One dude could'nt even tell me how much ram it had in it (& for all I know, it might not have had ANY ram because the last person who had it snatched the entire hard drive out LOL)... Aside from the ones I ran into at Guitar Center, i've also seen some with lines across the screen that made it nearly unreadable. I'm just hoping all MPC4000's don't eventually end up experiencing the same types of issues, cuz i'll steer clear if so! Last thing I want is to get a unit that i'm thinking is working as it should, then it's "GOTCHA" a month or so later & i'm spending all this cash trying to fix stuff. I've been through that enough with cars LOL

-trax
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via Skype™ to Ezionjd
Quote:
Hey man, you're right on that one!!! Hopefully I have better luck with the 2000XL until i'm ready to get the 4K/ren or possibly revisit the 3K. Check your PM on here when u get a sec, I sent u something!
Got a 2000xl myself. Blue version with the CF card. Love it.
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
What would you say are the biggest things to look out for when shopping for a used 4K??? I was SOOO close to snagging one the other day, but man every used one I found at Guitar Center had issues!!! Every single one... As much as I wanted the 4K, that makes me nervous... Like if it doesn't have issues already (when I get it), i'm worried that it will develop them shortly after, then i'm s.o.l.... One dude could'nt even tell me how much ram it had in it (& for all I know, it might not have had ANY ram because the last person who had it snatched the entire hard drive out LOL)... Aside from the ones I ran into at Guitar Center, i've also seen some with lines across the screen that made it nearly unreadable. I'm just hoping all MPC4000's don't eventually end up experiencing the same types of issues, cuz i'll steer clear if so! Last thing I want is to get a unit that i'm thinking is working as it should, then it's "GOTCHA" a month or so later & i'm spending all this cash trying to fix stuff. I've been through that enough with cars LOL

-trax
I would maybe hit Craigslist maybe someone who took good care of it. Make sure all pads and buttons work. Headphone jack also the hard drive. Make sure it has a fx card installed. Common stuff. Mine is doing ok so far.

28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
Lives for gear

For some reason I can't remember I think the white 4K is better then the Blue.
it might be some hardware revisions and the pads. can't remember.

The 5K's and 2500s are supposed to be pretty good as well.
The 4K is a Z8 engine. which both makes it deep and tricky for the modulation sources. but you do have a Z8 and an MPC in one package. also you can get an optical out for those 4K. handy if you are waisting you ADAT on your soundcard.
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

update on computer transferring with MPC3000

got it working - my cheap USB CF reader was the weak link, used a transcend PCM adapter slotted it into my 2004 mac laptop.

> am using RS-16x software on my new mac mini
> exporting PGM and SND files to a USB stick
> then transferring to a CF card via PCM slot in my older 2004 mac laptop
> CF card was formatted as hybrid partitions in my 3.5os MPC3000 - but even with regular 3.11os formmating you should get 1 partition come up you can use to transfer.

recommend using 1 card for transfers - and only backing up your MPC projects once you've tracked to DAW as with process's like this there is always risk of corrupting cards and messing up your hard work.
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

Why didn't the OP just use Battery 3 or something with the 3k as the Sequencer.

I LOVE the 3k. but it's an old unit. Most guys I know have 3k's and 4k's and they all use the 4k while the 3k sits.
(I need to get a sync gen and get back to using the 3k. But the 4k is much easier to deal with along side Pro tools.)
When material gain becomes the god before which all must be sacrificed, even one's own humanity, all manner of crimes and pursuant justifications become possible. And when crimes become heinous enough, as in wars of aggression, genocide and enslavement, the perpetrators have little choice but to dehumanize their victims.--Dr. Joy Degruy Leary
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEED78 View Post
update on computer transferring with MPC3000

got it working - my cheap USB CF reader was the weak link, used a transcend PCM adapter slotted it into my 2004 mac laptop.

> am using RS-16x software on my new mac mini
> exporting PGM and SND files to a USB stick
> then transferring to a CF card via PCM slot in my older 2004 mac laptop
> CF card was formatted as hybrid partitions in my 3.5os MPC3000 - but even with regular 3.11os formmating you should get 1 partition come up you can use to transfer.

recommend using 1 card for transfers - and only backing up your MPC projects once you've tracked to DAW as with process's like this there is always risk of corrupting cards and messing up your hard work.
very good. also try the app MPC Pad187
it will do 4 way velocity switch patches.
I think RS-16X only did 1. from what I remember in any case.

how long has hybrid partition been a part of the Akai 3K Os ?
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muser View Post
very good. also try the app MPC Pad187
it will do 4 way velocity switch patches.
I think RS-16X only did 1. from what I remember in any case.

how long has hybrid partition been a part of the Akai 3K Os ?
nice one will check out that ap!!

hybrid partitions > only in 3.5os, that isn't officially sold any more.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search