Producing on headphones?
New Reply
Subscribe
CranSpray
12th December 2012
Old 12th December 2012
Gear interested

Producing on headphones?

This has probably been asked before but I was hoping you guys could recommend me some headphones I can use to produce Hip-Hop on. I've seen very good things about the Sony MDR-7506s and Audio Technica ATH-M50 but I don't really know what to look for.

And I know monitors would be better but I'm only just starting out and I don't want to spend so much money at once.

I'm looking to spend around £100 (Roughly $160).

Thanks for the help!
12th December 2012
Old 12th December 2012
Lives for gear

The SONYs are somewhat a standard, they would be a good start. Be careful not to become too comfortable with the sound from any headphones. There is no way around it, they cannot be honest with respect to stereo separation, bass, and impact.

And, this and this
12th December 2012
Old 12th December 2012
Lives for gear

I have a a few pairs of ATH-30. I don't know how they compare to the the 50's but basically everything sounds good through them, even if it sounds really bad. It's great because I just use them for tracking and they have good isolation and they also are great for regular listening. Unless the 50's are really different, I don't know that I would want to make anything near finished with them. My 30's have not proven to be all that durable, don't know how this compares to the 50's

I don't have MDR-7506's but I do have a pair of MDR-V600's. Again, not exactly the same. I have used the MDR-7506's and they are similar enough. I personally think the MDR-7506/MDR-V600's I have used over the years are pretty decent. I don't like them compared to my monitors but I do like them way better than pretty much ever comparable headphones I have tried in that range. They are more durable as well.

I know people who produce on anything from Koss headphones to various high end. There really isn't a huge difference in quality compared to their headphones, many suck on the good and bad, a very few amount have pretty good mixes on both good and bad.

I get why people want to use headphones so I am not going to state the obvious negatives. What I will say is really be vigilant about checking your mixes on other playback systems. Even once you think you got it, check again.

I would never recommend headphones for mixing but if you are doing just beats, it will get you buy, just make sure your songs are mixed in a proper environment and don't get mad when the mixing engineer starts messing with your tracks.
12th December 2012
Old 12th December 2012
Gear Head

I really like my ATH-M50s and like using them for music making if my speakers aren't an option. (and use them for most of my music listening lately, they really do sound great)
13th December 2012
Old 13th December 2012
Banned

You ears are gonna hurt!!!!!!!
13th December 2012
Old 13th December 2012
Lives for gear

Headphones should be used for checking mixes, not mixing mixes. Headphones are a piece of the puzzle. You should be mixing on studio monitors in a tuned environment and then checking your mixes with headphones, along with other reference speakers..

Mixing And Mastering Studio -Professional Mixing & Mastering Studio Providing Online And Attended Sessions.
Mixed And Mastered Best Album Of The Year By En-Sound
13th December 2012
Old 13th December 2012
Gear Head

I have ATH-M50s and they hurt my head and feel heavy. Just my opinion, I bought them due to their reviews, but not sure if I'd recommend them. Maybe my head is just small.
13th December 2012
Old 13th December 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CranSpray View Post
This has probably been asked before but I was hoping you guys could recommend me some headphones I can use to produce Hip-Hop on. I've seen very good things about the Sony MDR-7506s and Audio Technica ATH-M50 but I don't really know what to look for.

And I know monitors would be better but I'm only just starting out and I don't want to spend so much money at once.

I'm looking to spend around £100 (Roughly $160).

Thanks for the help!
Save up some more and get some monitors,but if you must have something now go to amazon.com and look for some used sennheiser hd280s. They can be had for around $40 to $60 used and are pretty good,and have decent isolation if you need to track.
13th December 2012
Old 13th December 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Coleman View Post
I find that my hd280's are good at pointing out the flaws in my mix sometimes. A lot of times I put on the headphones and realize that certain frequencies are louder in my headphones than they are on my monitors. Therefore, turning down that particular sound will make the sound almost inaudible on speakers. I really can't imagine myself doing mixes on headphones alone. I need to hear how a sound sounds in a room.

Sent from my DROID X2
I know but if he can only get one i say go for monitoring.I know for what he says his budget is he's not going to get any decent monitors,maybe bookshelf speakers,but not monitors.That's why i suggested some used HD280's he can get those,and keep like $90 or $100 and start saving up to get some decent monitors.
13th December 2012
Old 13th December 2012
Gear maniac

I usually mix in my headphones and use different mediums such as my monitors and car to check the mix. I live in an apartment and I am not losing my deposit by properly treating my walls lol. I get good results. I use audio technica ATH-M50 and they are some beast. The bass response are great and they dont add elements in the high end that are not there. Thats why I love to mix in them.
www.soundclick.com/MuthershipConnection
Twitter-@MSConnection44
13th December 2012
Old 13th December 2012
Gear addict

Beyerdynamics DT 990 Pro
AKG K-601

The AKG's are the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn.
14th December 2012
Old 14th December 2012
Gear addict

I mix on the ATH-M50s and I can recommend them. Of course it would be better to have high-quality monitors and a properly treated room but sometimes that is an option.

My only complaint is that sometimes they feel a little tight on my head.
14th December 2012
Old 14th December 2012
Lives for gear

Yupm ATH-M50's here too. Great headphones but I wouldn't want to mix with them solely, the mix can get tunnel vision. That said, they are excellent for checking over levels and tones and just general mix goodness.
14th December 2012
Old 14th December 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to teknatronik
ath 50 here, gs guided
14th December 2012
Old 14th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblessin View Post
I usually mix in my headphones and use different mediums such as my monitors and car to check the mix. I live in an apartment and I am not losing my deposit by properly treating my walls lol. I get good results. I use audio technica ATH-M50 and they are some beast. The bass response are great and they dont add elements in the high end that are not there. Thats why I love to mix in them.
hhaha you don't have to ruin the walls to put up treatment. Most damage you'll have is a thumbtack hole, or maybe a dust line decoloration.
15th December 2012
Old 15th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke View Post
The SONYs are somewhat a standard, they would be a good start. Be careful not to become too comfortable with the sound from any headphones. There is no way around it, they cannot be honest with respect to stereo separation, bass, and impact.

And, this and this
nice articles
16th December 2012
Old 16th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaP View Post
Save up some more and get some monitors,but if you must have something now go to amazon.com and look for some used sennheiser hd280s. They can be had for around $40 to $60 used and are pretty good,and have decent isolation if you need to track.
Actually this, and a used Focusrite VRM might not be a bad addition given the OP's circumstances.

"
Is the beat suppose to intentionally suck like that?"

16th December 2012
Old 16th December 2012
Lives for gear

I use Beats By Dre to make beats(never for mixing,all though they are cool for listening to mastered songs)
16th December 2012
Old 16th December 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to voicegenius
Sennheiser HD280's ova here... Love em...
18th December 2012
Old 18th December 2012
Lives for gear

I have the ath m50's, but I only use them for casual listening, tracking (iso), and if it's too late to crank my monitors and sketch out some grooves.

If I need something that I can do some critical listening with, I reach for the beyer dt 880 pros. Love those things. Super comfy and the semi open back doesn't hurt ur ears like the closed ath's.
18th December 2012
Old 18th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering View Post
Headphones should be used for checking mixes, not mixing mixes
i agree 100%
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
Gear nut

Mixing and producing on headphones is possible if you don't rely on one pair of cans with your ears shut and you know what your favorite music and mixes sound like on them and you know what you want and what you're supposed to listen to.
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
Gear nut

I use my ath-m50s for mixing often. I find them to be pretty accurate, and they fold up nicely for on-the-go purposes. I'd recommend some decent flat-response monitors as well but if you're looking for phones in that price range for mixing the ath-m50s aren't bad at all.
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

beyerdynamic dt770s
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search