New Reply
Subscribe
mylesp
12th December 2012
Old 12th December 2012
Lives for gear

how to stay in key with beats???

how do i keep in key with my beats? just stay in the scale? lol

or do i stay in the notes that are used only in the chord progression?
12th December 2012
Old 12th December 2012
Lives for gear

You don't have to. It's called modulation.
Basically it's about staying in scale, but you can still use alterations and diferent modes.
12th December 2012
Old 12th December 2012

My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via Skype™ to psycho_monkey
Can you teach me music theory in one easy to understand forum post?!

Answer: no. People spend years studying this. I think I'm on about 20 years so far.

Jack Robert Hardman (New EP now on sale), Morgan Joanel,
Edens March
and High-Tails.

If I've helped you out, please consider supporting these artists as a favour to me!

Major label credits include Pharrell/Alicia Keys, Ricky Martin (Aus #3), John Legend, Taylor Henderson (Aus #1 ARIA Album), Di-Rect (Dutch #1 single), etc
12th December 2012
Old 12th December 2012
Lives for gear

Keep hitting the keys until it sounds good. Use your ears.

Sent from my SPH-D710
12th December 2012
Old 12th December 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to teknatronik
Cubase has a feature that tells you what key each one shot is in and then it has the ability to change that note. I always set my drums to the root of the song...
12th December 2012
Old 12th December 2012
Gear maniac

Use your ears. Learn basic music theory. Before I learned basic music theory I found mine and most people's ears know what goes with or doesn't go with a certain melody/scale. It doesn't sound right. Just by listening to music all your life you're ears are sort of in tune so to speak. That's how a lot of producers/beat makers don't know music theory but can make a hot beat that's in tune (or not as long as it sounds good to u). Trust your ears.
12th December 2012
Old 12th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldorado_p View Post
Use your ears. Learn basic music theory. Before I learned basic music theory I found mine and most people's ears know what goes with or doesn't go with a certain melody/scale. It doesn't sound right. Just by listening to music all your life you're ears are sort of in tune so to speak. That's how a lot of producers/beat makers don't know music theory but can make a hot beat that's in tune (or not as long as it sounds good to u). Trust your ears.
+1
12th December 2012
Old 12th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I had to thumb up. I also don't know mutch about music theory but playing by ear works aswel.
Same goes for composing a drum loop, when a certain instrument is few mili second of note it breaks up the chain.

But it's beter to learn your theory, it'll only affect your work in a positive way.

Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/GdupProductions
12th December 2012
Old 12th December 2012
Lives for gear

As a very general rule, you want mostly to play the notes that appear in the chord which you're playing over at that moment. So if you're playing over an A minor, you can play A, C, or E. Then you can use the other scale tones (B, D, F, G) as 'passing tones' between those chord tones. Those passing tones offer brief momentary 'spice' to the agreeable sound of the chord tones.
12th December 2012
Old 12th December 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Yeah, agree I would learn chords and arpeggios first. It teaches you patterns and how the scales are created. So on a bass or guitar, I can play Amin in tons of different ways, since the A C and E are in many places all over the neck. Just learn major and minor chords first until you see the patterns, then expand to 7ths, min 7ths..etc.
12th December 2012
Old 12th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Coleman View Post
I have no formal training but even my first tracks sounded right because I know when a note or chord doesn't fit. Its something that comes naturally. If you don't hear those problems you might want to try basketball or the tennis club.

Sent from my DROID X2
+1
mylesp
12th December 2012
Old 12th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have no formal training but even my first tracks sounded right because I know when a note or chord doesn't fit. Its something that comes naturally. If you don't hear those problems you might want to try basketball or the tennis club.

Sent from my DROID X2
well i hear the problems right away no doubt. i just wanted to ask because i have been learning scales the past 2 months.
12th December 2012
Old 12th December 2012
Banned

Just use your ears. If it sounds good then most likely its already in key or close enough. And don't worry bout being precise, cause having sounds slightly out of key will build tension and give your track a unique sound and character. Thats whats gonna distinguish your sound from the rest. If anything just use a sine wave and a spectrum analyzer to practice tuning your sounds to a certain key, so you know what to listen for, but after that just use your ears from there on out.
14th December 2012
Old 14th December 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via Skype™ to awhitebeats
Quote:
This
14th December 2012
Old 14th December 2012
Gear is over-rated

the title of the thread really made me laugh out loud lol

no offense

and there is some good replies in here.. good luck
14th December 2012
Old 14th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYPHY View Post
the title of the thread really made me laugh out loud lol

no offense

and there is some good replies in here.. good luck
It's more worrying the fact that it's 3 years on since the account creation that this question has been asked.

Do you seek tips and tricks on how to use FL Studio, Bitwig and other big name plugins (soon); no bullshit style? Come on over! http://goo.gl/jt5lQc. Knowledge bombs in 5 minutes or less.
mylesp
19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Biffro View Post
It's more worrying the fact that it's 3 years on since the account creation that this question has been asked.
Lmao I make sampled beats so I haven't learned everything about staying in key. That's why
19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012
Lives for gear

if you dont know anything about music theory and use only your ears - what I doubt will work - you are simply limited to what was there before. that is not you. you always wil be limited to something happening by accident and you dont know why. you cant work out an idea. you cant do anything with a goal in mind. you will never get willingly your music sound like you want it to sound.

you will be forever be a slave to coincidence.

learn music theory, the only way to understand how music works. and this you cant do with samples or loops or beats or whatever.
20th December 2012
Old 20th December 2012
Gear is over-rated

yeah.. music theory is soooooo helpful when trying to make melodies

the pentatonic scale is very easy to make melodies with

i highly recommend you learn scales bro
mylesp
20th December 2012
Old 20th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYPHY View Post
yeah.. music theory is soooooo helpful when trying to make melodies

the pentatonic scale is very easy to make melodies with

i highly recommend you learn scales bro
I'm learning now. I have learned alot since I first posted this.
20th December 2012
Old 20th December 2012
Gear addict

20th December 2012
Old 20th December 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via Skype™ to B.A.S.E
Don't people learn how to read music at school nowadays ?

I thought I was utterly helpless as far as music theory is concerned and that I just had a good ear... But then I realized that I've had music courses in middle school in which I learnt how to read sheet music and play those plastic flutes... Honing my ears to recognize notes.

Hearing pitch dissonances seems to be just so natural...
21st December 2012
Old 21st December 2012
Banned

Quote:
This is not true. I make better beats than a lot of people with theory. And I didn't learn theory. If you have talent, you have talent.
+10
21st December 2012
Old 21st December 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via Skype™ to B.A.S.E
yeah but someone with talent and theory will be better... why always settle for less...
21st December 2012
Old 21st December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylesp View Post
how do i keep in key with my beats? just stay in the scale? lol

or do i stay in the notes that are used only in the chord progression?
translation:

I'm ****ing lazy to google a very simple music theory thing, so I want YOU GS guys to save me time and do the work for me.

This is because I want success but too lazy to learn.
21st December 2012
Old 21st December 2012
Lives for gear

without theory, you'll be very limited in composing. most of these guys who say you need no theory are writing childish melodies and cant make a simple chord progression.

also, just because you didn't go to school to learn music theory doesn't mean you don't use it.

it makes no sense to invent hot water imho.

also depends on what you want to do. for dirty south, you don't need no theory. but for things like J.R. Rotem and Scott Storch does, you're not in the ballpark without knowing scales and chord progressions.
21st December 2012
Old 21st December 2012
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thysta View Post
translation:

I'm ****ing lazy to google a very simple music theory thing, so I want YOU GS guys to save me time and do the work for me.

This is because I want success but too lazy to learn.
You got all that from the op?
21st December 2012
Old 21st December 2012
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thysta View Post
. For dirty south, you don't need no theory. but for things like J.R. Rotem and Scott Storch does, you're not in the ballpark without knowing scales and chord progressions.
Also not true. Music theory is needed for all music, and for the record music theory originates in the mind not on a piece of paper or book. If your talking about traditional music theory then yes you can read up on it to help bring to light what you already know.

Quick Tip: Tune Your Drums in Ableton Live
22nd December 2012
Old 22nd December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:

Sent from my DROID X2
if you never learn music theory then you will have a hard time making music that makes sense. so how you want to make music if you dont know about cadences, about counterpoint, harmonies??? you think you can make music when you know that a chord fits?
22nd December 2012
Old 22nd December 2012
Gear maniac

bruh, its not rocket science.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search