Mixing Tips for a Song
Old 19th November 2012
Gear interested

Mixing Tips for a Song

Hey. I've been working on this mix for a while, but it's at the point where I feel it can be posted for feedback. I'm an amateur engineer, but I've been through school and am at the stage where I'm just trying to practice and apply the skills I've learned.

I'm looking for general feedback about the quality of the mix. Thank you!
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 October Snow Part 2 mix 1.mp3 (4.11 MB, 113 views)
Old 20th November 2012
im not sure if its your compression or your desser but its a bit strong... its mashing you down a bit to much... but thats all taste, i personally like to leave a little but of natural ess in the vocals. it just sounds more realistic....
Old 20th November 2012
Lives for gear

thats a pretty dope track man, im just listening on laptop speakers, but its seems that hte second verse is much louder than the 1st verse, and i like the level of the second verse bettter.

the hook is also a little bit quieter than the rest of the verses, maybe try and even out the vocal levels.

i can hear the kick drum pretty good through my laptop speakers, so thats pretty good, overall your mix sounds pretty good, maybe just try and even the vocals out a bit and maybe turn the snare down a TINY bit. otherwise sounds pretty good to me, keep in mind that im listening on laptop speakers a the moment though.
Old 20th November 2012
Deleted User #106149

this track is dope, if you need an alternative take on the mix send me the stems man. Id like to see morel vocals added to it (as in an additional layer of adlibs - lower in pitch maybe). Also im not sure about the sound of the chorus section "I aint going outside today". It sounds too similar to your main verses, reckon it could do with a combination of either more layers,better eq or perhaps getting in a female singer to add some "subtle" layer to it to spice things up. Otherwise it sounds great, love the style too, reminds me of late 90s underground sound.
Old 21st November 2012
Gear interested

I agree about the hook. What's there isn't actually the final, because I have a female vocalist I'm still waiting to record for it (the pieces missing in the second verse aren't recorded yet either). I agree about the de-essing now that you mention it. I think I get so caught up in making sure that it doesn't hiss too much that I end up pushing it too low.

I ended up cutting the dubs/ad libs altogether on the verses and am rerecording some doubles but only for the parts where I kinda sing a lil during the verse.

I'll repost when I finish the edits! Thanks all!
Old 21st November 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by damien907 View Post
thats a pretty dope track man, im just listening on laptop speakers, but its seems that hte second verse is much louder than the 1st verse, and i like the level of the second verse bettter.

the hook is also a little bit quieter than the rest of the verses, maybe try and even out the vocal levels.

i can hear the kick drum pretty good through my laptop speakers, so thats pretty good, overall your mix sounds pretty good, maybe just try and even the vocals out a bit and maybe turn the snare down a TINY bit. otherwise sounds pretty good to me, keep in mind that im listening on laptop speakers a the moment though.
Agreed on the 2nd verse being louder. i don't think its much louder, but i guess that is relative. mayb 1db louder. i think id like both verses to be a happy medium.

Dope track for sure, i was feeling it. will be sick once u get those female vox in there
Old 23rd November 2012
Gear interested

Here's the newest version. Turned down the compression (up the threshold about 5 dB) and eased off the de-esser. Took away the doubles, fixed the volume differences, revamped the hook with female vocals added, and added a layer of ad libs (which I think give it a lot more movement as a song... i was getting bored with it by the end before).
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 October Snow Part 2 mix 2.mp3 (4.11 MB, 42 views)
Old 23rd November 2012
Gear interested

I liked the newest version sounds good in my opinion.
Old 24th November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacdiggity View Post
Here's the newest version. Turned down the compression (up the threshold about 5 dB) and eased off the de-esser. Took away the doubles, fixed the volume differences, revamped the hook with female vocals added, and added a layer of ad libs (which I think give it a lot more movement as a song... i was getting bored with it by the end before).
this sounds much better, if your up for a little shine try a bit of minor riverb... nothin above 4%, and maybe a bit of delay ...but the delay has to be super low... helps rap vocals sit in mixes nicely in my experience
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search