The TR-808 is no more.....
New Reply
Subscribe
iAmJaidon
18th November 2012
Old 18th November 2012
Gear Head

The TR-808 is no more.....

Aloha fello gear pimpz (like that better than slutz) hah!! any way first post just wanted to say that in the last 3 yrs the 808 bassdrum has been mangled and transformed into a completely different sounding animal... reffering to of course the long but also the short kick... majority of songs in rotation in (HipHop) {hate that word to} have not the same but extremely altered versions on what we consider to be the 808 sound... anyway just wondered what some of the more experience guys think about that and also what teqh's some of you use to change your 808s heres some examples btw..

feel free to share any samples... i can do the same once i figure out how to upload here....hold up i figured it out
Attached Files
File Type: wav JaiDon808.wav (1.54 MB, 57 views)
iAmJaidon
18th November 2012
Old 18th November 2012
Gear Head

hmm... it appears the video examples didnt post either... well they where 2chainz birthday song.... yo gotti got dat sack... and juicy j bands will make her dance
18th November 2012
Old 18th November 2012
Gear addict

I can't see the videos either
18th November 2012
Old 18th November 2012
Lives for gear

the 808 sound actually hasn't been altered that much.

just some EQ/compression and sometimes a sub layered to lengthen the decay, but as an original TR-808 owner i recognize the sound immediately when i hear it (and btw the original 808 kick had a decay parameter allowing short or long boomy bass kick)

what has changed in the last few years is the techniques used to play the 808.
trap artists use mostly FL from what i gather which has a feature allowing you to make them 808 kick glides (a feature NOT on the original 808) & obviously heavy triplets on the hats..
18th November 2012
Old 18th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAmJaidon View Post
heres some examples btw..

18th November 2012
Old 18th November 2012
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanax View Post

it's older than you think

but that's probably nothing more than just sampled into an akai or emu of some sort but today I think people spend more time synthesizing it and shaping the sound, like having 2 layers, the long boomy bit and the click/thump at the start.
18th November 2012
Old 18th November 2012
Gear maniac

nothing but distorted 808s, preschool processing

E-mu and a desk can do lovely things

18th November 2012
Old 18th November 2012
Gear maniac

from some of my jams with 808s

lil distortion
mad distortion
wah filter, distorted, lil reverb
Attached Files
File Type: wav BEATYFULL.wav (894.2 KB, 63 views) File Type: wav psydub.wav (972.9 KB, 48 views) File Type: wav 94loop.wav (860.6 KB, 82 views)
iAmJaidon
18th November 2012
Old 18th November 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanax View Post
the 808 sound actually hasn't been altered that much.

just some EQ/compression and sometimes a sub layered to lengthen the decay, but as an original TR-808 owner i recognize the sound immediately when i hear it (and btw the original 808 kick had a decay parameter allowing short or long boomy bass kick)

trap artists use mostly FL from what i gather which has a feature allowing you to make them 808 kick glides (a feature NOT on the original 808) & obviously heavy triplets on the hats..
i'd say mix wise they are quite a bit... the newer more distorted ones have a completely different character and bang much harder on lower note ranges than the original
18th November 2012
Old 18th November 2012
Gear addict

Damn that one with the wah is dope...
18th November 2012
Old 18th November 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

I mixed "I got that sack" It has a lot of parallel compression & eq on the low boom to get a equal representation. The comps gave the distortion. One in particular... I have a set of Kiks I layer with original so I don't have to squeeze water from a rock. The track was very open frequency range wise giving everything it's place easily. And the voc distortion makes it sit in the beat. Kinda same concept on new single "Check" but Fabian did final mix on that one.
iAmJaidon
18th November 2012
Old 18th November 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoLeoLeo View Post
I have a set of Kiks I layer with original so I don't have to squeeze water from a rock. The track was very open frequency range wise giving everything it's place easily. And the voc distortion makes it sit in the beat. Kinda same concept on new single "Check" but Fabian did final mix on that one.
are those kicks short punchy ones?? and how did you achieve that particular voc disto?? sounds very interesting in the mix
19th November 2012
Old 19th November 2012
Lives for gear

nothing new.

mantronik already (heavily) altered 808 sounds in 1986, maybe even 85.

he sampled them into an emu drumulator, pitched them, filtered them, layered them, combined them with sounds from other machines, heavy eq etc etc.

also early electro had 808's sounding a bunch of different ways.
19th November 2012
Old 19th November 2012
Lives for gear

When will a rap artist finally come out and rap about strippers over 808 beats?
19th November 2012
Old 19th November 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
I mixed "I got that sack" It has a lot of parallel compression & eq on the low boom to get a equal representation. The comps gave the distortion. One in particular... I have a set of Kiks I layer with original so I don't have to squeeze water from a rock.
So you are paralleling the 808 to add decay? and what are you eq'ing for, adding 60hz or something else?
19th November 2012
Old 19th November 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

It was for the meat up front. Using a heavy comp to get some audible fur on it, instead of just feeling it. Think it was only 2-3 notes in it, Eq'ed those in good based on the note. I did not replace this kik after looking back. Did my send to eq to kik parallel at high ratio to get/create the lo mid smack to not interfere with the lo of boom. Which I haven't seen anyone do to the extreme as me, but it came from experimenting crazily. I'm sure I'm not the only one who turned a kik into a bip to put under the orig.

If compression is a crutch, then I'm bandaged up like a mummy with leg casts & wheelchair. Sometimes...
19th November 2012
Old 19th November 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsowa View Post
When will a rap artist finally come out and rap about strippers over 808 beats?
All we can do is wait...
20th November 2012
Old 20th November 2012
Gear maniac

appreciate the reply man, as a beat maker i can always use tips on getting to get my drums to knock. I feel like i use transient designer more than compressors unless i parallel to add attack, i need to get more familiar with compressors in general.

btw Gunplay killed that I got that sack beat you hear it?
20th November 2012
Old 20th November 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

As a mixer I use these tricks, If I were the beatmaker, I'd pick better sounds. Remember don't squeeze water from a rock...
iAmJaidon
23rd November 2012
Old 23rd November 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
It was for the meat up front. Using a heavy comp to get some audible fur on it, instead of just feeling it. Think it was only 2-3 notes in it, Eq'ed those in good based on the note. I did not replace this kik after looking back. Did my send to eq to kik parallel at high ratio to get/create the lo mid smack to not interfere with the lo of boom. Which I haven't seen anyone do to the extreme as me, but it came from experimenting crazily. I'm sure I'm not the only one who turned a kik into a bip to put under the orig.

If compression is a crutch, then I'm bandaged up like a mummy with leg casts & wheelchair. Sometimes...
Im sure youre not tryin to give away secrets... but was that a bandpass filter on yo gotti's vocal?? just curious
23rd November 2012
Old 23rd November 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

mostly the Eq'ing came post compression/distortion via Waves C4 on the vox
23rd November 2012
Old 23rd November 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAmJaidon View Post
Im sure youre not tryin to give away secrets...
Quote:
I did not replace this kik after looking back. Did my send to eq to kik parallel at high ratio to get/create the lo mid smack to not interfere with the lo of boom.
I did.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search