tdot
18th November 2012
Old 18th November 2012
Lives for beer

Akai S950

Why the hell are these so hard to find
I have been searching for one for almost 2 months now - it took me LONG ENOUGH to find a Korg SDD-2000 for a decent price (according to prepal the SDD is worth ~200 and the s950 ~250) - most people on eBay want twice the average price for things (which is why they're the only listings that have been sitting there for the past two months).
And then half the time when something does show up, its from an american who will only ship to the lower 48 states (and if they do ship internationally, some european will pay $$$ over the average price because they can't get anything over there).
I'm thinking of just buying the s950 on eBay for $360 that has been there for months, I guess it's really only the price of a filet mignon and bottle of champagne over the average price, but then I'll feel stupid for losing money. But these things are very rare to pop up.
Any idea how to find something like this for a decent price? Yes I know of mpchunter - the last s950 was well over a week ago. I don't like waiting. I want one nowwwwww.

Maybe I'll just buy one of the ones from ARMENS for $500/$900
18th November 2012
Old 18th November 2012
Lives for gear

If I knew that the S950 was exactly what my sound needed to step up, $360 it is... no drama.
18th November 2012
Old 18th November 2012
Lives for gear

I suppose it's of more value to certain people. I certainly wouldn't sell my S-950 for $250. It's worth more to me than that, maybe $500. Just depends on the person buying/selling and how much they personally value an item.

Of course, after you pay top dollar for something, you usually see a Buy It Now for about $150 less than what you paid. Just wait it out. I do think you're expectations of $200-250 are not realistic. I keep an eye on eBay several times a day. I saw an S-950 with max memory for $300 and scooped it with the quickness. That, to me, was a good deal that I couldn't pass up. The fact that your not in the US is something you'll likely have to pay for as well. Unless it pops up locally of course.
18th November 2012
Old 18th November 2012
Gear addict

its funny u made this thread... my 950 just sits in the living room collecting dust.. prolly never to be plugged in again.. lol

da relic
18th November 2012
Old 18th November 2012
dam Armen charging that much for a s950. Shieeesh!
18th November 2012
Old 18th November 2012
Lives for gear

thanks to the dance explosion in the 90s uk has more Akai's than affordable housing.

s950s here are creeping up in price (not as fast as ASRs and Emax's though) mine was cheap 120-150ish I think (max ram).
18th November 2012
Old 18th November 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEED78 View Post
thanks to the dance explosion in the 90s uk has more Akai's than affordable housing.

s950s here are creeping up in price (not as fast as ASRs and Emax's though) mine was cheap 120-150ish I think (max ram).
I just missed out on an S-950 on ebay, it was £150 'buy it now', or best offer. I offered £120 and someone snapped it up for the £150, it had one extra memory chip installed.

Pretty annoyed that I missed it due to my penny pinching ways
18th November 2012
Old 18th November 2012
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

I have 2 s950s now. love them

bought my first one (max ram) back in 2009 for about £80 I think, then I wanted another one and I had to take part in the bidding bar the other week. It was max ram again and I got it for £260!!! so yeah, if you want the it fully expanded I'm affraid you'll have to splash out a bit more.
18th November 2012
Old 18th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bewarethewolves View Post
I just missed out on an S-950 on ebay, it was £150 'buy it now', or best offer. I offered £120 and someone snapped it up for the £150, it had one extra memory chip installed.

Pretty annoyed that I missed it due to my penny pinching ways
Yeah i was checkin that.You should have jumped on it.Theres another with full memory ect but no data wheel £300 ono.Shame about the wheel........
18th November 2012
Old 18th November 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goa-Dubs View Post
Yeah i was checkin that.You should have jumped on it.Theres another with full memory ect but no data wheel £300 ono.Shame about the wheel........
Have you seen the newly posted one, it is fully expanded and looks in lovely condition, but has a ridiculous 'buy it now' price of £700. I saw one go for £400 the other day and thought that was over priced.
18th November 2012
Old 18th November 2012
I EAT VINYL FOR DINNER

you can all ways contact the seller .. i would tell him look ill give you $325 for it right now .. with free shipping ..
18th November 2012
Old 18th November 2012
Lives for gear

18th November 2012
Old 18th November 2012
Gear interested

I have one I'd be willing to let go for 300 plus shipping. I've got an MPC 60, so I have all the grit I need. Let me know, we could work something out. Here's my ebay profile if you want to check up on my trustworthiness. eBay Feedback Profile for onedery
18th November 2012
Old 18th November 2012
Lives for gear

18th November 2012
Old 18th November 2012
I EAT VINYL FOR DINNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by winstonsmitty View Post
I have one I'd be willing to let go for 300 plus shipping. I've got an MPC 60, so I have all the grit I need. Let me know, we could work something out. Here's my ebay profile if you want to check up on my trustworthiness. eBay Feedback Profile for onedery
i mite get it how much ram and the blk light ?
18th November 2012
Old 18th November 2012
Lives for gear

You change the LCD out to a LED backlit one, not simple but I did it to mine.
18th November 2012
Old 18th November 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goa-Dubs View Post
The "special" power cable mentioned in this auction isn't that special. Rolaand used the same with their old sampler series aand I bet there are other electronics using it. But even if you can't find this kind of power cable - swapping the old with a more common / modern kettle lead isn't a hard task to do.

peace
18th November 2012
Old 18th November 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEED78 View Post
£200 - don't know if the memory is expanded...
Akai S950 sampler | eBay
I emailed him, no memory expansions on this one.
18th November 2012
Old 18th November 2012
Gear interested

Stock memory, lcd bright blue. Its in great shape, its the 220V version, but I'd throw in the converter if you need it.
tdot
19th November 2012
Old 19th November 2012
Lives for beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayl View Post
If I knew that the S950 was exactly what my sound needed to step up, $360 it is... no drama.
yeah but I *do* keep resale value in mind. This isn't my profession, so who knows, one day I might just decide **** it and sell everything (I should hope not though!).

I've seen some in the UK go for less than 300 with maxed out ram ... so paying 360 for one without just seems foolish. Especially when some people want $500 for the ram upgrades .... but I'd hate to see the shipping costs from the UK, not sure if I trust it either USPS Priority always get me my shit in good order on time (obviously 95% of the 'vintage' gear I buy comes from the US ... try finding anything in Canada )

But thanks guys, I will keep going with my search!
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search