16th November 2012
Old 16th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonesta770 View Post
sell all your beats mastered! also you will get more sells

Sonesta Mastering - Professional Mastering & Mixing Service
Worldwide Online Audio Mastering & Mixing Studio
Great way to warn us to not use your services!!
16th November 2012
Old 16th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam Citi View Post
you have to understand internet marketing and seo for sure or you have no chance
or you could just hire a company to do it for you
16th November 2012
Old 16th November 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Coleman View Post
Bump.
Why mp3? There gonna convert it to wav in their DAWs anyway to record vocals on top of it.

Better give them a High resolution WAV instead of a lousy mp3.
17th November 2012
Old 17th November 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by boosh View Post
Why mp3? There gonna convert it to wav in their DAWs anyway to record vocals on top of it.

Better give them a High resolution WAV instead of a lousy mp3.
Have different price points and understand your customer. People buying $20-$30 leases of a beat aren't worried about 16bit vs 24 bit or 44.1k vs 48k 95% chance they dont know the difference.

but also offer a higher price point for artists that know the difference in quality, $35-$45 "premium lease" for a .wav file. this also helps you organize your customer mailing list and market to them effectively.
Rufuss Sewell
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Lives for gear

Alright, I'm almost there. I have my Soundclick page set up, it's in my signature. I also have facebook, twitter etc. rolling. Now I just need my direct website with maybe a myflashstore... and to start promoting.

Take a look at my Soundclick page and let me know if there are any glaring omissions.

Thanks guys!
Rack: UA Apollo, Rosetta 800, UA 1176, UA 610, RE-301, ISA828, CL 7602 x2.
System: 15" rMBP, Logic X, PT 11, ADAM S2.5A
Most beloved plug ins: Soundtoys, Lexicon PCM, NI, Diva, Goldbaby samples, Toontrack.
Say
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Say
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowood101 View Post
Weird I thought selling "beats" online died in early/mid 2000's.
WORD! =P
1st January 2013
Old 1st January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufuss Sewell View Post
Take a look at my Soundclick page and let me know if there are any glaring omissions.

Thanks guys!
yeah it's fine man..maybe consider putting up some weekly youtube videos of you in the studio making beats, or a tutorial or something..etc. Hold social media contests for free beats or something. Ultimately though it comes down to the music though so that should be your main focus.
2nd January 2013
Old 2nd January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufuss Sewell View Post
Alright, I'm almost there. I have my Soundclick page set up, it's in my signature. I also have facebook, twitter etc. rolling. Now I just need my direct website with maybe a myflashstore... and to start promoting.

Thanks guys!
Page looks nice, good work homie. Out of interest, who did the design for you?

Cheers.

Do you seek tips and tricks on how to use FL Studio, Bitwig and other big name plugins (soon); no bullshit style? Come on over! http://goo.gl/jt5lQc. Knowledge bombs in 5 minutes or less.
2nd January 2013
Old 2nd January 2013
Gear interested

The big boys will (almost) never buy a beat that has been leased or put out in any way. Take what you can get and make more beats. Just a warning. That 1500 is just an advance don't SELL your rights for that. Keep that 50% of the whole songs publishing. I've been dealing with major labels for years. Then make more beats. Volume, not dbs, a lot of beats.
2nd January 2013
Old 2nd January 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Coleman View Post
So, I'm assuming the artist keeps the other 50% of the publishing? Does that necessarily mean you will keep 50% of sales per that song?

Have you been making a decent living from selling beats to artists? Are major labels really willing to pay up and is 50% really something realistic nowadays? I heard and assumed that the beatmaker usually gets the short end of the stick, financially speaking.

Sent from my DROID X2
Publishing income comes from performance royalties, mechanical licenses and sync licenses, and has nothing to do with record "sales."

Initially, the publishing belongs to the writers and composers of the song.
2nd January 2013
Old 2nd January 2013
Gear interested

I've done pretty well over the years, I have a manager and awesome lawyer that handle the business but its up to me to know what's going on, its easy to forget they work for me and I need to oversee everything.

There are 2 parts to the publishing of a song, to keep it simple ill refer to it as music and vocals. Music gets 50% of the pie and Lyrics get the other 50%. Those parts may be dividend up depending on who comes up with the vocal melody and other contributions. That's what your entitled to,negotiating your part of the pie is KEY. Do what you have to to make the deal, if your too greedy they will pass and never consider you again. Build a good relationship and you'll get it back 10 fold.

Every artists situation is different and you just have to be flexible and make the deal, I usually end up with 80 to 100% of the music publishing, ill give up to 50% if the deal is good enough.

Think of it like the lotto, its a gamble and you have to have a lot of tickets. I haven't hit the jackpot yet (some of my friends have) but small wins add up.
2nd January 2013
Old 2nd January 2013
Gear addict

Good advice on this thread. I was wondering...Aren't there agencies that will sell your beats for you?

I've always wanted to get an agent or something. I have a ridiculous quantity of beats but I have no time to spend on selling them.
2nd January 2013
Old 2nd January 2013
Gear interested

I've never heard of an agency, what your referring to is a publishing deal. Basically they provide what you need to make beats then they shop them or place them with their other artists, in return they get 50% of your publishing. It's a good path for some no so much for others. Depends on the publishing company and what you actually need.
Brb
2nd January 2013
Old 2nd January 2013
Brb
Gear addict

2nd January 2013
Old 2nd January 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmyre View Post
I've never heard of an agency, what your referring to is a publishing deal. Basically they provide what you need to make beats then they shop them or place them with their other artists, in return they get 50% of your publishing. It's a good path for some no so much for others. Depends on the publishing company and what you actually need.
Would you recommend any publishing company in particular?
2nd January 2013
Old 2nd January 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpchartrand View Post
Would you recommend any publishing company in particular?
It's a terrible answer but it depends on a million factors.

It's exactly like a record deal for producers, a major like Sony, EMI, or universal publishing may work for some, an Indy or none at all may be best for others. Like labels there are tons out there.
3rd January 2013
Old 3rd January 2013
Lives for gear

Sorry, this may be a bit off topic but it fits right in here. I recently produced a work with my girl who is a spiritual life coach. We are having trouble finding a good way to distribute it. She also has here own audio projects.

We need a service that allows you to price audio tracks at any price, not 99 cents like a song, they are much more than that. On the flip side, some projects are bundled so we want something we can sell like an album but we can only find sites that we have to group it as a bunch of singles. Because of that, we end up paying a large monthly cost due to the amount of files and the size of them.

What I am looking for is this:
-Unlimited or close to unlimited tracks with file sizes that are unlimited or close to it (some tracks are over an hour)
-Ability to easily bundle packages, much like doing a discount for buying multiple beats
-Either a low monthly fee or a percentage would be better as this is a small run so even though its expensive, people don't buy it every month at the moment
-Automated system for both payment and delivery of tracks

Sorry if this is too off topic but it seems so similar. We have found many services that do most but none that do all.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search