Mixing Vocals Question?
New Reply
Subscribe
Johnny K
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Gear interested

Mixing Vocals Question?

So I know every voice isn't the same but what is your order when it comes to mixing vocals? Do you like to Compress first Eq second ?? Just want to compare the way I do it.
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Gear interested

1. Cut everything under 100hz with a high-pass filter
2. Compress vocals using RVOX or RCOMP from Waves
3. I then decide if I wanna cut 2-3db from 500hz if the resulting vocals are too muddy.
4. De-ess
5. Echoes (if necessary)
6. Reverb
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Gear nut

De-esser - subtractive eq- compressor- boost eq
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Gear addict

Send a message via Skype™ to chronmaster
HPF to about 60-70hz, Surgical EQ for narrow cuts, De-Ess, Compress, Character EQ, EFX.
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Gear addict

Hp filter 60ish (listen) with the music don't wanna do this solo

Compress 1176 style
Compress LA2A

Boost

Result smooth vox
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
So I know every voice isn't the same but what is your order when it comes to mixing vocals? Do you like to Compress first Eq second ?? Just want to compare the way I do it.
You answered your own question. it just depends on the song at hand.
Sometimes I EQ before the compressor and sometimes i compress before the Eq and sometimes I compress before and after the EQ and sometimes I EQ before and after the compressor.

Mixing And Mastering Studio -Professional Mixing & Mastering Studio Providing Online And Attended Sessions.
Mixed And Mastered Best Album Of The Year By En-Sound
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via Skype™ to Ezionjd
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering View Post
You answered your own question. it just depends on the song at hand.
Sometimes I EQ before the compressor and sometimes i compress before the Eq and sometimes I compress before and after the EQ and sometimes I EQ before and after the compressor.
And sometimes i.. Arh forget it
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via Skype™ to Ezionjd
Oh and i go : Tubetech preamp, Neumann u87, Apogee duet interface, Logic Pro, Waves Rvox, Waves Q10 (surgical eq'ing), Waves Ssl Channel strip Eq, Waves L1 Limiter.
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Lives for gear

Once you get the vocal in, the first move should be what calls to you the most. If your vocal is jumping all over the place, maybe do some volume rides and compression just to get it seated right. If you hear an obvious annoying tone or something very muddy, get rid of that first.

The way I like to do it personally is to get the vocal sounding "balanced" first. That means just getting it to a neutral spot where it sounds good on its own. Not supremely hyped, nothing fancy, just good. Then when I start building the sounds around the vocal - that's when I start enhancing, doing more compression, etc.

The only thing that really swings around a lot is when I build my ambience. I try to get an idea of the ambience before moving things into place, but a lot of times it doesn't really click until the other melodic elements are in place.

Mixing tutorials: Mixing Hip-Hop and Mixing with Compression

Drum samples: The Maio Collection

Mixing articles: The Pro Audio Files

25th October 2012
Old 25th October 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storyville View Post
Once you get the vocal in, the first move should be what calls to you the most. If your vocal is jumping all over the place, maybe do some volume rides and compression just to get it seated right. If you hear an obvious annoying tone or something very muddy, get rid of that first.

The way I like to do it personally is to get the vocal sounding "balanced" first. That means just getting it to a neutral spot where it sounds good on its own. Not supremely hyped, nothing fancy, just good. Then when I start building the sounds around the vocal - that's when I start enhancing, doing more compression, etc.

The only thing that really swings around a lot is when I build my ambience. I try to get an idea of the ambience before moving things into place, but a lot of times it doesn't really click until the other melodic elements are in place.
Listen to him he's the man
25th October 2012
Old 25th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
And sometimes i.. Arh forget it
LOL, Yea the list of things i have done in a vocla chain is endless. It would take forever to list every single chain and its settings.
25th October 2012
Old 25th October 2012
Gear interested

Because the quality of vocal recordings can vary so dramatically, there's never any formula/order that I follow while mixing. As mentioned before, whatever jumps out the most to me (in a negative way) get's addressed. Once that's smoothed out I move on to the next thing. My advice is not to get caught up in specifics and work on developing a feel for how it should sound and how to get it there.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search