Login / Register

Which Scarbee bass for this kind of bass?
New Reply
Subscribe
sd-cd
23rd October 2012
Old 23rd October 2012
Lives for gear

Which Scarbee bass for this kind of bass?

23rd October 2012
Old 23rd October 2012
Gear addict

Send a message via ICQ to cal1 Send a message via Yahoo to cal1
could you please give us some more examples of what kind of bass sound you are heading for?
23rd October 2012
Old 23rd October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal1 View Post
could you please give us some more examples of what kind of bass sound you are heading for?
23rd October 2012
Old 23rd October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
bwahahahah
23rd October 2012
Old 23rd October 2012
Lives for gear

I'd run with the Jay Bass, it is a lot smoother that the Pre Bass, a more mellow feel to it. The Pre Bass has a sharp kind of slap bass sound to it. Haven't messed around with the MM Bass much.
23rd October 2012
Old 23rd October 2012
Lives for gear

I know these are different types of basses that's why I asked about which one of 3 Scarbee basses would be the best. Which one represents those examples the most.
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
sd-cd
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Lives for gear

Gax
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Gax
Lives for gear

Jay bass (Fender Jazz Bass) for sure! its most versatile. MM (music man stingray) if you are heading for that classic 70s funk bass lines, but jazz bass covers 90% of bass line duties especially for hip hop.
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gax View Post
Jay bass (Fender Jazz Bass) for sure! its most versatile. MM (music man stingray) if you are heading for that classic 70s funk bass lines, but jazz bass covers 90% of bass line duties especially for hip hop.
Hmm, I would say the opposite. opting for the p-bass. Thicker sound.
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Lives for gear

For hip-hop producers the typical thing is to use synth sounds--mostly low-pass filtered sawtooth waves--for basslines. So that might be what you want to look into. But any of these sample sets would probably also be OK. You just may want to look into low pass filtering them to cut down on the overtones. You don't typically want a 'bass guitar' sound for hip-hop unless you're trying to create something that sounds like an old sample of a bassline.
sd-cd
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsowa View Post
For hip-hop producers the typical thing is to use synth sounds--mostly low-pass filtered sawtooth waves--for basslines. So that might be what you want to look into. But any of these sample sets would probably also be OK. You just may want to look into low pass filtering them to cut down on the overtones. You don't typically want a 'bass guitar' sound for hip-hop unless you're trying to create something that sounds like an old sample of a bassline.
Can you recommend a synth? The 1st one that came to your head reading this.
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Lives for gear

Pretty much anything will work. Microkorg, Venom, etc. If you have a little more money to spend then the Little Phatty or Slim Phatty would probably be ideal. If you want to stick to software for financial reasons, then you should be able to pull up a simple sawtooth sound on anything. Then work with the 24db low-pass filter and possibly the resonance.
sd-cd
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Lives for gear

24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Lives for gear

Wow

Is that the way the real record sounds on the capone and noreaga track? Somebody wired a cable backwards...polarity reversed L to R right there.
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Wow

Is that the way the real record sounds on the capone and noreaga track? Somebody wired a cable backwards...polarity reversed L to R right there.
I'm going to look for my receipt. Reverse polarity? Anyone who bought that cd deserves a refund. How dare they! lol
Gax
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Gax
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyondat View Post
Hmm, I would say the opposite. opting for the p-bass. Thicker sound.
p-bass is alot more detailed (lots of mids and highs) and cuts trough mix very well hence its #1 choice in rock and metal (electric guitar heavy music) obviously... but jazz bass is #1 choice for sweet, round, warm groovy bass... it was used on 90% of classic funk, soul, rnb records that inspired hip hop beat making production.
sd-cd
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Lives for gear

Thanks Guys. Imma grab the Scarbee Jay-Bass.
25th October 2012
Old 25th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
p-bass is alot more detailed (lots of mids and highs) and cuts trough mix very well hence its #1 choice in rock and metal (electric guitar heavy music) obviously... but jazz bass is #1 choice for sweet, round, warm groovy bass... it was used on 90% of classic funk, soul, rnb records that inspired hip hop beat making production.
I rarely use my jay bass for hip-hop. my p-bass is my go to for live hip-hop bass. Hip-hop needs a thicker bass than the 70's recordings. No way was it 90% jazz bass on those classic records. Late 70's is when the Jazz bass started to take over. Even for live shows, unless you are using a 5 string bass for hip-hop, a jazz bass won't give you that deepness needed for hip-hop. Just my experience. As far as scarbee, I don't know how it sounds but a pbass with Flatwound strings is a winning combo.
25th October 2012
Old 25th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Its all subjective I guess, but I feel the opposite about the sound of the p vs j bass. To me the jazz is more of a barking mid-high sound, whereas the p bass is best for that sweet, round, warm, fat groove.

Also, I think you'll find just as many pbasses and musicman basses were used on those classic funk/soul records as jazz basses.
25th October 2012
Old 25th October 2012
Lives for gear

The P-Bass just has the one pick-up. On the jazz bass, the neck pick up is pretty much where the P-Bass pick-up is, except it's a bit closer up to the neck, which means there's a tad bit more low end. But then you also have the bridge pick-up, which is very close to the bridge, which gives a trebly sound. If you have both of them on, then there is some phase cancellation which gives you more of that mid range honk. The bass is very versatile. I don't know what setting they used when they sampled the jazz bass for the Scarbee, but it'd only be one setting out of a number of possibilities.

But again, for all the Youtube examples above, what you're hearing is filtered sawtooth bass, not bass guitars.
25th October 2012
Old 25th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsowa View Post

But again, for all the Youtube examples above, what you're hearing is filtered sawtooth bass, not bass guitars.
lol, thats what I was thinking. I didn't hear a bass guitar in any of those, though I didn't listen to all 34 of them, lol.
sd-cd
25th October 2012
Old 25th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse381 View Post
lol, thats what I was thinking. I didn't hear a bass guitar in any of those, though I didn't listen to all 34 of them, lol.
4 real? There is no bass there?
So what do you think was used? I mean which hardware or soft?

So JaeOne was wrong here?
Marco Polo - what beats equipment used?
"Bass? All of those pete rock/kev brown style bass sounds can be had easily. Sample some notes off a bass guitar with the highs rolled off. Once inside your sampler, use a low pass filter and a little resonance."

"Kev Brown shows it's not some magical bass patch. It's just a single note from a bass guitar.

I used to think I needed my synth for these duties too (I used to combine saws and triangles with low passes in synths) but trust me, it's easier than that.

Bass guitar."
25th October 2012
Old 25th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd-cd View Post
So what do you think was used? I mean which hardware?
tbh I listened on my laptop so I can't hear the low bass notes, but I didn't hear any mid-range bass notes that sounded like a bass guitar, which would normally come through on my laptop.

I didn't listen to all of them either and idk what they used, but being mostly sampled beats, I'm guessing probably either some synth was used, or maybe they sampled a bass guitar note from a record and just transposed it up/down a a few steps

I think those scarbee programs would work for the latter method. When I said I didn't hear a bass guitar I meant a live bass. They very likely could've sampled some bass guitar notes from records though, in which case the scarbee stuff would probably achieve the same results.
sd-cd
25th October 2012
Old 25th October 2012
Lives for gear

Thank you Guys. I get the picture
25th October 2012
Old 25th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd-cd View Post
So what do you think was used? I mean which hardware or soft?

So JaeOne was wrong here?
Marco Polo - what beats equipment used?
"Bass? All of those pete rock/kev brown style bass sounds can be had easily. Sample some notes off a bass guitar with the highs rolled off. Once inside your sampler, use a low pass filter and a little resonance."

"Kev Brown shows it's not some magical bass patch. It's just a single note from a bass guitar.

I used to think I needed my synth for these duties too (I used to combine saws and triangles with low passes in synths) but trust me, it's easier than that.

Bass guitar."
yeah, I agree, you basically posted what I was about to post as I was typing it out.

If I were you though, instead of spending $120 on a software program, I'd just buy a cheap used real bass. If you just want to use it to sample 1 or 2 notes, you don't even need to know how to play it. It siound like thats what they did on those beats, so if you want that sound, thats what I'd do. Using the scarbee will likely sound too clean and polished. If you want that raw sound, sample a real bass yourself. Even a cheap one. A squier vintage modified can be had for around $150. Also look into rondomusic SX basses.

If you have a little more to spend, you can get a used Mexican bass for around $200-300.
26th October 2012
Old 26th October 2012
Lives for gear

Well, I'll say this.. in the 90s when I was still making hiphop music, I did sample a bass note off an OC Smith record and filtered it and that's how I did all my basslines on the MPC.

But I'd say on the whole, most people just use a sawtooth patch. The type of synth really doesn't matter. This is a very simple application and anything will do.

Once you low pass filter it, it's all pretty similar anyway. You want something that's almost a pure sine wave bass tone, but it's got some mid range harmonic meat to it. That's why you use a sawtooth.
26th October 2012
Old 26th October 2012
Lives for gear

Jay Bass
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search