The OFFICIAL Akai MPC Renaissance Thread
8th October 2012
Old 8th October 2012
Gear Head

Ah this thread....how it has grown...and become what I thought it would become.

To answer the question regarding the vintage mode implementation, in order to get the vintage mode sound on your separate tracks, you'd have to track them in the way you would a traditional MPC. It's not possible to export multitracks with the vintage imprinted on them, unless you do some sort of recording your samples coming out of the MPC Ren's main outs and back into the inputs using the vintage mode to capture what it does to said samples.
8th October 2012
Old 8th October 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMAKEMADBEATS View Post
Ah this thread....how it has grown...and become what I thought it would become.

To answer the question regarding the vintage mode implementation, in order to get the vintage mode sound on your separate tracks, you'd have to track them in the way you would a traditional MPC. It's not possible to export multitracks with the vintage imprinted on them, unless you do some sort of recording your samples coming out of the MPC Ren's main outs and back into the inputs using the vintage mode to capture what it does to said samples.
I'll probably just go for an MPC 60 then...

Thanx a lot for your answer,

8th October 2012
Old 8th October 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumG View Post
Why do you care if the REN can do all this? If you have NI-M doing things like back flipping, making you coffee while doing 10 billion things use that make music and $ be happy.
what a useless answer...

I don't have Maschine but I've tried it intensively some weeks.

Anyone who own a MPC-R like to answer my questions, please.
Hobbs_Won
8th October 2012
Old 8th October 2012
Hobbs_Won

So....

3 more stores (2 Sam Ash and 1 GC)

None have floor models of the AKAI Ren.... and the Edison, NJ Sam Ash has confirmed they will be putting a floor model out but not initially. The rep says he will demo it for me WITHOUT the software. Like anybody cares...

They do have the Maschine MKII out already though...

Is this something that can possibly be coming down from AKAI?? Because it's really starting to look like they are targeting the MPC niche who don't mind being paid beta testers and really don't care much about anyone outside that target.

If you search around YouTube you will see a few videos that have very mixed reviews. The bugs and crashes are almost common knowledge by now. How can somebody like Jahrome blatantly deny this?
9th October 2012
Old 9th October 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by daslicht View Post
what a useless answer...

I don't have Maschine but I've tried it intensively some weeks.

Anyone who own a MPC-R like to answer my questions, please.

I do have a REN LOL I heard about this bugs, that bug, it has this that, done have this that but you know what i got it anyways. If you need to know about the REN get one simple because if they have what you want in it they might not have implement it the way you want. I can tell you this if you are use to a MPC 4000 you will get along with the REN easy.
9th October 2012
Old 9th October 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyMan View Post
What if there are things he can't accomplish in other products and things he likes. He's possibly on the fence about switching but needs to make sure he doesn't leave behind some features?

LOL I make hands onn decision can't relate to someone on a forum tell me to buy anything. Imagine if i did, i would not have the REN now would i? the forums members are saying i am not getting the REN is bug central. What can i say! i am banging out tracks daily and the REN paid for it self with in two day of buying it.
9th October 2012
Old 9th October 2012
if any piece of gear is going to inspire you for whatever reason to get behind it and put the work in I feel that should be the most important thing to consider. I'm on maschine myself but have used so much gear over the years I know at the end of the day It's ones own vision, inspiration, and journey that make the music. Just like when clients see protools and are confident due to thinking that it's the best for whatever reason, the mpc name has the same legitimacy that inspires the same trust and that is something tangible on a psychological level that you can't dismiss.
9th October 2012
Old 9th October 2012
Banned

Quote:
Said by you on mpc forums
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbs_Won View Post
So....

3 more stores (2 Sam Ash and 1 GC)

None have floor models of the AKAI Ren.... and the Edison, NJ Sam Ash has confirmed they will be putting a floor model out but not initially. The rep says he will demo it for me WITHOUT the software. Like anybody cares...

They do have the Maschine MKII out already though...

Is this something that can possibly be coming down from AKAI?? Because it's really starting to look like they are targeting the MPC niche who don't mind being paid beta testers and really don't care much about anyone outside that target.

If you search around YouTube you will see a few videos that have very mixed reviews. The bugs and crashes are almost common knowledge by now. How can somebody like Jahrome blatantly deny this?
Would you stop your madness and blatantly misleading people.

The MPC Forums has a OS 1.0 bug thread...and you know this. I validated or rejected nearly every issue reported in that thread. Not only that...I help MPC Ren users daily on how to operate it and answer questions. As an MPC user, this is my purpose.

You on the other have spent the past 9+ months hating on this product. It's as if this is your mission in life. If you are not interested in the Ren, have doubts about Akai, or any other negative view...then don't buy it and leave the thread to those that are interested. I can't believe you are pissed off that the Ren is the most sought after new product and forum members enjoy using it. Since acquiring the Ren, I used my other MPCs and Maschine a lot less.
Hobbs_Won
9th October 2012
Old 9th October 2012
Hobbs_Won

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahrome View Post

The MPC Forums has a OS 1.0 bug thread...and you know this. I validated or rejected nearly every issue reported in that thread. Not only that...I help MPC Ren users daily on how to operate it and answer questions. As an MPC user, this is my purpose.

You on the other have spent the past 9+ months hating on this product. It's as if this is your mission in life. If you are not interested in the Ren, have doubts about Akai, or any other negative view...then don't buy it and leave the thread to those that are interested. I can't believe you are pissed off that the Ren is the most sought after new product and forum members enjoy using it. Since acquiring the Ren, I used my other MPCs and Maschine a lot less.
Why are none of the major chains putting it on the floor??

Seriously...10 stores....and counting..

Yes or no question....is this possibly something that is coming down from AKAI?

It's one thing to say "If you don't want it...leave it alone"

But now you are saying "if you have doubts about it...leave it alone"

WTF?? LOL is that how a company stands behind their product?

Even if you aren't on their payroll...you have made yourself an extension of their marketing whether you agree with it or not.
9th October 2012
Old 9th October 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumG View Post
I do have a REN LOL I heard about this bugs, that bug, it has this that, done have this that but you know what i got it anyways. If you need to know about the REN get one simple because if they have what you want in it they might not have implement it the way you want. I can tell you this if you are use to a MPC 4000 you will get along with the REN easy.

Could you (or any other MPC-R beta tester) please forget your ego for a few seconds and simply answer my questions?
A)
is it possible to create Multisample Instruments with the MPC-R ?
So that we can create polyphon playable instruments?
Or is it at least possible to play one pad as instrument ?

B)
How about Automatic Plugin Delay Compensation?
e.g if I add a VST insert effect on one Pad which has a high latency,
will all other sounds be shifted ?
Peace
9th October 2012
Old 9th October 2012
Banned

Quote:
Why are none of the major chains putting it on the floor??

Seriously...10 stores....and counting..

Yes or no question....is this possibly something that is coming down from AKAI?

It's one thing to say "If you don't want it...leave it alone"

But now you are saying "if you have doubts about it...leave it alone"

WTF?? LOL is that how a company stands behind their product?

Even if you aren't on their payroll...you have made yourself an extension of their marketing whether you agree with it or not.
Ask a manager/ sales rep at one of the 10 stores your silly question....

I am a forum member that owns a Ren and here to discuss using the Ren. That is why I can say "Don't buy it, if you have doubts." Or talk to the Ren users that you claim are disappointed with their purchase.
9th October 2012
Old 9th October 2012
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by daslicht View Post

Could you (or any other MPC-R beta tester) please forget your ego for a few seconds and simply answer my questions?
A)
is it possible to create Multisample Instruments with the MPC-R ?
So that we can create polyphon playable instruments?
Or is it at least possible to play one pad as instrument ?

B)
How about Automatic Plugin Delay Compensation?
e.g if I add a VST insert effect on one Pad which has a high latency,
will all other sounds be shifted ?
Peace
You should download the reference manual: Akai Pro MPC

This alone will answer the most basic questions.

1. Yes. The MPC Ren has key group instrument programs. Each program has up to 128 key groups with 4 velocity layers per key group. When a Keygroup Program is assigned to a track, the 16 pads in Pad Banks A-H can be used to play the key group program. These programs can be polyphonic or monophonic.

2. There is no plugin delay compensation.
9th October 2012
Old 9th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:

And why did you quote me?
9th October 2012
Old 9th October 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
1. Yes. The MPC Ren has key group instrument programs. Each program has up to 128 key groups with 4 velocity layers per key group. When a Keygroup Program is assigned to a track, the 16 pads in Pad Banks A-H can be used to play the key group program. These programs can be polyphonic or monophonic.

2. There is no plugin delay compensation.
Thank you !
Hobbs_Won
10th October 2012
Old 10th October 2012
Hobbs_Won

This thread sure went dead quick
10th October 2012
Old 10th October 2012
Gear maniac

This thread died cause its hard to get a direct answer for a question it's lost a jumbled mass of miscellaneous information... Being making threads back please!
10th October 2012
Old 10th October 2012
Lives for gear

Then ask questions or add something you think should be added.
11th October 2012
Old 11th October 2012
Gear addict

Quote:

Too much rules lol No videos, no comparing the REN to NI-M and so on. It's boring thats why no one is posting this topic is now like watching discovery channel. Keep it scientific musicians that how we roll around here lol.
11th October 2012
Old 11th October 2012
Banned

Quote:
You got what you wanted.....
Hobbs_Won
11th October 2012
Old 11th October 2012
Hobbs_Won

Quote:
You got what you wanted.....
I don't know why you would think that.

I am trying to be fair. I am in the market for the Ren. Even though I absolutely do not need it. I am ceding to the notion that I am buying it strictly for...

1 - the name

and

2 - the aesthetics

I have little doubt that it does what I need to do.. I can get what I need done on a composition with nothing but an sp-303. So clearly, the Ren can suit my workflow as I'm a minimalist. If it couldn't, that would be pathetic.

All I am bitching about at this point...is...why can't I get my hands on the damn thing? It's very odd to me.

Let me ask you...was this the scenario when the 5000 or the 4000 or the 2500 dropped? No... it wasn't...they hit the floor.

I have concluded that anybody buying this thing willy nilly is advocating being a paying beta tester (which is something I def. don't care to be). If they have no issues with that...then more power to them.

I'm just annoyed that AKAI is doing this shit because I want the piece but my better judgment is going to have me wait until it is stable before Nukai gets my full dollar....and who knows how long that will be.

/rant
11th October 2012
Old 11th October 2012
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbs_Won
All I am bitching about at this point...is...why can't I get my hands on the damn thing? It's very odd to me.
[/
Akai released them in limited quantities....and they sell out quickly as soon as they are in stock.

The MPC 2500, 4000, and 5000 all just appeared out of nowhere when they were released. Akai didn't demo prototypes months 8 months before they were released. They didn't film commercials and video tutorials. There were no internet forums with threads whipping people into a frenzy.....

Regardless...Guitar Center, Musician's Friends, and Sweetwater received Ren shipments 1-2 months ago. Sweetwater has them in stock as I type this. AMS received their first shipment yesterday which all went to those that pre-ordered. Here in Japan, no retailer has them. Some retailers are projecting 25 Oct.....my B-day
12th October 2012
Old 12th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Akai released them in limited quantities....and they sell out quickly as soon as they are in stock.

The MPC 2500, 4000, and 5000 all just appeared out of nowhere when they were released. Akai didn't demo prototypes months 8 months before they were released. They didn't film commercials and video tutorials. There were no internet forums with threads whipping people into a frenzy.....

Regardless...Guitar Center, Musician's Friends, and Sweetwater received Ren shipments 1-2 months ago. Sweetwater has them in stock as I type this. AMS received their first shipment yesterday which all went to those that pre-ordered. Here in Japan, no retailer has them. Some retailers are projecting 25 Oct.....my B-day
@#$*ing Libras
12th October 2012
Old 12th October 2012
Banned

Quote:
@#$*ing Libras
Scorpio silly....
12th October 2012
Old 12th October 2012
Lives for gear

Im getting the 'REN' virus!!!!!!!Will it work well with my mbp?I dont want to buy a lemon.I want an mpc on my comp.......Its gotta work tight.

edit-will the built in soundcard run st8 into my motu soundcard(i like some analog in my signal*air*)give me more of the akai (vintage)sound?Love a st8 answr to these st8 questions please.Thanx in advance from a mpc4k and previous happy 5k user.
12th October 2012
Old 12th October 2012
Gear maniac

Hey,

I am looking to purchase the Renaissance but first want to make a few clarifications… (Sorry if some of this has been discussed already, I’ve just skimmed through the massive 50 page warzone in the old MPC thread and have seen a lot of conflicting opinions on different sites through the net.)

1.) How is the latency compared to the older stand alone models? I record my keyboard and synthesizers without quantization and am afraid this could be a problem with the software based Renaissance. Has anyone tracked with this without quantization noticed a delay throwing off their performances?

2.) I use mainly hardware synths and keyboards and wanted to know if this adapts the standard MPC workflow for controlling them. How much is going on with the automation in the software? Do the breakpoints align to the grid properly, can I draw detailed curved automation lines, etc…? I will be using the MPC software for everything MIDI instead of Logic or Pro-Tools and hope this can allow me to extensively automate all of the MIDI CC data from my hardware keys/synths just like any hi-end DAW.

3.) I plan on tracking my audio from my hardware synths/keys into my Apogee Symphony I/O and Pro-Tools. I read somewhere that the Renaissance only allows you to export MIDI? That can’t be right. I can track out my beats into Pro-Tools through my third party converters like any other MPC, right?

4.) Is anyone using the Renaissance in Pro-Tools yet and finding solid integration between the two?

5.) I am not interested in the software vintage mode emulations, but I am interested in the hardware 3000 components built in the Renaissance’s hardware. How does this sound? Does anyone with a real 3000 have an opinion on comparing the two? I would want my drum samples to get some of the 3000 hardware punch.

6.) How do the filters sound? Does the Renaissance have the 3000 filters? Again, can anyone with a 3000 give a thorough comparison between the two?

7.) Lastly, I keep hearing about bugs. Is there anything too atrocious that would handicap my workflow at the moment?

Thanks in advance!
13th October 2012
Old 13th October 2012
Lives for gear

Ok ok.....lol.I know its not gonna be %100 stable right of the blocks especially on V1.But will it run well on my mbp?Or should it have its own computer?Im gonna be doing my winter migration to warmer climes shortly and would like to have the MpC experience while away.Id be quite happy enuff with fl and a comepletely usable,dedicated controller of course.But thats not entirely possible.Altho i could get FL running with Soundforge on my mac.For some reason i dont want to rely on Ableton for the midi sequencer work or logic.
Dor
13th October 2012
Old 13th October 2012
Dor
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goa-Dubs View Post

Ok ok.....lol.I know its not gonna be %100 stable right of the blocks especially on V1.But will it run well on my mbp?Or should it have its own computer?Im gonna be doing my winter migration to warmer climes shortly and would like to have the MpC experience while away.Id be quite happy enuff with fl and a comepletely usable,dedicated controller of course.But thats not entirely possible.Altho i could get FL running with Soundforge on my mac.For some reason i dont want to rely on Ableton for the midi sequencer work or logic.
Your mbp will be fine for the Ren. I'm using the Ren on my Air and Mac Pro and neither is dedicated to just the Ren.

D
13th October 2012
Old 13th October 2012
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Sterling View Post
Hey,

I am looking to purchase the Renaissance but first want to make a few clarifications… (Sorry if some of this has been discussed already, I’ve just skimmed through the massive 50 page warzone in the old MPC thread and have seen a lot of conflicting opinions on different sites through the net.)

1.) How is the latency compared to the older stand alone models? I record my keyboard and synthesizers without quantization and am afraid this could be a problem with the software based Renaissance. Has anyone tracked with this without quantization noticed a delay throwing off their performances?

2.) I use mainly hardware synths and keyboards and wanted to know if this adapts the standard MPC workflow for controlling them. How much is going on with the automation in the software? Do the breakpoints align to the grid properly, can I draw detailed curved automation lines, etc…? I will be using the MPC software for everything MIDI instead of Logic or Pro-Tools and hope this can allow me to extensively automate all of the MIDI CC data from my hardware keys/synths just like any hi-end DAW.

3.) I plan on tracking my audio from my hardware synths/keys into my Apogee Symphony I/O and Pro-Tools. I read somewhere that the Renaissance only allows you to export MIDI? That can’t be right. I can track out my beats into Pro-Tools through my third party converters like any other MPC, right?

4.) Is anyone using the Renaissance in Pro-Tools yet and finding solid integration between the two?

5.) I am not interested in the software vintage mode emulations, but I am interested in the hardware 3000 components built in the Renaissance’s hardware. How does this sound? Does anyone with a real 3000 have an opinion on comparing the two? I would want my drum samples to get some of the 3000 hardware punch.

6.) How do the filters sound? Does the Renaissance have the 3000 filters? Again, can anyone with a 3000 give a thorough comparison between the two?

7.) Lastly, I keep hearing about bugs. Is there anything too atrocious that would handicap my workflow at the moment?

Thanks in advance!
I suggest asking your questions in the MPC Forums. Al of your questions can be answered there.
13th October 2012
Old 13th October 2012
Banned

Quote:
You can stop crying now as all major US retailers have them in stock as I type this. What is odd to be is one statement you are ranting about the Ren not being widely available...and then in the next breath calling those that purchase the Ren right away are paid beta testers.

You do realize that when most companies release a V1.0 of their software product that there is pretty much always an incremental update to fixe any bugs? I am hard pressed to find any music production product that didn't require an update to address bugs.
13th October 2012
Old 13th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dor View Post
Your mbp will be fine for the Ren. I'm using the Ren on my Air and Mac Pro and neither is dedicated to just the Ren.

D
Thats good to know.Thanx.Are you a satisfied mpc user then?(ren)
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search