Hobbs_Won
10th October 2012
Old 10th October 2012
Hobbs_Won

This thread sure went dead quick
10th October 2012
Old 10th October 2012
Gear maniac

This thread died cause its hard to get a direct answer for a question it's lost a jumbled mass of miscellaneous information... Being making threads back please!

https://soundcloud.com/monkeynerd222/no-sight-required-beat_tape
10th October 2012
Old 10th October 2012
Lives for gear

Then ask questions or add something you think should be added.
11th October 2012
Old 11th October 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbs_Won View Post
This thread sure went dead quick

Too much rules lol No videos, no comparing the REN to NI-M and so on. It's boring thats why no one is posting this topic is now like watching discovery channel. Keep it scientific musicians that how we roll around here lol.
11th October 2012
Old 11th October 2012
Hobbs_Won

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahrome View Post
You got what you wanted.....
I don't know why you would think that.

I am trying to be fair. I am in the market for the Ren. Even though I absolutely do not need it. I am ceding to the notion that I am buying it strictly for...

1 - the name

and

2 - the aesthetics

I have little doubt that it does what I need to do.. I can get what I need done on a composition with nothing but an sp-303. So clearly, the Ren can suit my workflow as I'm a minimalist. If it couldn't, that would be pathetic.

All I am bitching about at this point...is...why can't I get my hands on the damn thing? It's very odd to me.

Let me ask you...was this the scenario when the 5000 or the 4000 or the 2500 dropped? No... it wasn't...they hit the floor.

I have concluded that anybody buying this thing willy nilly is advocating being a paying beta tester (which is something I def. don't care to be). If they have no issues with that...then more power to them.

I'm just annoyed that AKAI is doing this shit because I want the piece but my better judgment is going to have me wait until it is stable before Nukai gets my full dollar....and who knows how long that will be.

/rant
12th October 2012
Old 12th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Akai released them in limited quantities....and they sell out quickly as soon as they are in stock.

The MPC 2500, 4000, and 5000 all just appeared out of nowhere when they were released. Akai didn't demo prototypes months 8 months before they were released. They didn't film commercials and video tutorials. There were no internet forums with threads whipping people into a frenzy.....

Regardless...Guitar Center, Musician's Friends, and Sweetwater received Ren shipments 1-2 months ago. Sweetwater has them in stock as I type this. AMS received their first shipment yesterday which all went to those that pre-ordered. Here in Japan, no retailer has them. Some retailers are projecting 25 Oct.....my B-day
@#$*ing Libras
12th October 2012
Old 12th October 2012
Lives for gear

Im getting the 'REN' virus!!!!!!!Will it work well with my mbp?I dont want to buy a lemon.I want an mpc on my comp.......Its gotta work tight.

edit-will the built in soundcard run st8 into my motu soundcard(i like some analog in my signal*air*)give me more of the akai (vintage)sound?Love a st8 answr to these st8 questions please.Thanx in advance from a mpc4k and previous happy 5k user.
12th October 2012
Old 12th October 2012
Gear nut

Hey,

I am looking to purchase the Renaissance but first want to make a few clarifications… (Sorry if some of this has been discussed already, I’ve just skimmed through the massive 50 page warzone in the old MPC thread and have seen a lot of conflicting opinions on different sites through the net.)

1.) How is the latency compared to the older stand alone models? I record my keyboard and synthesizers without quantization and am afraid this could be a problem with the software based Renaissance. Has anyone tracked with this without quantization noticed a delay throwing off their performances?

2.) I use mainly hardware synths and keyboards and wanted to know if this adapts the standard MPC workflow for controlling them. How much is going on with the automation in the software? Do the breakpoints align to the grid properly, can I draw detailed curved automation lines, etc…? I will be using the MPC software for everything MIDI instead of Logic or Pro-Tools and hope this can allow me to extensively automate all of the MIDI CC data from my hardware keys/synths just like any hi-end DAW.

3.) I plan on tracking my audio from my hardware synths/keys into my Apogee Symphony I/O and Pro-Tools. I read somewhere that the Renaissance only allows you to export MIDI? That can’t be right. I can track out my beats into Pro-Tools through my third party converters like any other MPC, right?

4.) Is anyone using the Renaissance in Pro-Tools yet and finding solid integration between the two?

5.) I am not interested in the software vintage mode emulations, but I am interested in the hardware 3000 components built in the Renaissance’s hardware. How does this sound? Does anyone with a real 3000 have an opinion on comparing the two? I would want my drum samples to get some of the 3000 hardware punch.

6.) How do the filters sound? Does the Renaissance have the 3000 filters? Again, can anyone with a 3000 give a thorough comparison between the two?

7.) Lastly, I keep hearing about bugs. Is there anything too atrocious that would handicap my workflow at the moment?

Thanks in advance!
13th October 2012
Old 13th October 2012
Lives for gear

Ok ok.....lol.I know its not gonna be %100 stable right of the blocks especially on V1.But will it run well on my mbp?Or should it have its own computer?Im gonna be doing my winter migration to warmer climes shortly and would like to have the MpC experience while away.Id be quite happy enuff with fl and a comepletely usable,dedicated controller of course.But thats not entirely possible.Altho i could get FL running with Soundforge on my mac.For some reason i dont want to rely on Ableton for the midi sequencer work or logic.
Dor
13th October 2012
Old 13th October 2012
Dor
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goa-Dubs View Post

Ok ok.....lol.I know its not gonna be %100 stable right of the blocks especially on V1.But will it run well on my mbp?Or should it have its own computer?Im gonna be doing my winter migration to warmer climes shortly and would like to have the MpC experience while away.Id be quite happy enuff with fl and a comepletely usable,dedicated controller of course.But thats not entirely possible.Altho i could get FL running with Soundforge on my mac.For some reason i dont want to rely on Ableton for the midi sequencer work or logic.
Your mbp will be fine for the Ren. I'm using the Ren on my Air and Mac Pro and neither is dedicated to just the Ren.

D

Follow me @boomspot
13th October 2012
Old 13th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dor View Post
Your mbp will be fine for the Ren. I'm using the Ren on my Air and Mac Pro and neither is dedicated to just the Ren.

D
Thats good to know.Thanx.Are you a satisfied mpc user then?(ren)
14th October 2012
Old 14th October 2012
Gear interested

Was about one-hour into a dope beat I was crafting, went to copy a sequence, and CRASH. Crashes happen way too frequently for me to integrate the REN into my workflow... I mean I'm sure it was VST-related, and yes I should save frequently, but man is it frustrating to pay $1300 only to find out that the software isn't nearly as reliable as it should be.

I love the hardware! It's great, but I hope the software gets fixed up over the next few months, because as of now I have a $1300 drum pad, it's back to Live for me!
14th October 2012
Old 14th October 2012
Banned

Quote:
You can stop crying now as all major US retailers have them in stock as I type this. What is odd to be is one statement you are ranting about the Ren not being widely available...and then in the next breath calling those that purchase the Ren right away are paid beta testers.

You do realize that when most companies release a V1.0 of their software product that there is pretty much always an incremental update to fixe any bugs? I am hard pressed to find any music production product that didn't require an update to address bugs.
sp1200
Hobbs_Won
14th October 2012
Old 14th October 2012
Hobbs_Won

Quote:
You can stop crying now as all major US retailers have them in stock as I type this. What is odd to be is one statement you are ranting about the Ren not being widely available...and then in the next breath calling those that purchase the Ren right away are paid beta testers.

You do realize that when most companies release a V1.0 of their software product that there is pretty much always an incremental update to fixe any bugs? I am hard pressed to find any music production product that didn't require an update to address bugs.

My gripe is not about them having it in stock...out of the 10+ stores I called, IIRC, only 2 DIDN'T have it in stock. My issue is with ALL the stores refusal to put them on the floor.

The closest I have come to an explanation by a manager is, and I quote this verbatim, "It's something to do with the software licensing from AKAI".

And that was it.

The fact is this...anybody who buys a piece of equipment that has NEVER hit the market before and never demo'd it....ARE PAYING BETA TESTERS.

Quote:
I am hard pressed to find any music production product that didn't require an update to address bugs.
Nice, just push off any accountability on the consumer. As if it being an industry standard practice somehow absolves AKAI from blatantly exploiting consumerism. Classic double speak from you, Jah.

I bet the v1.1 changelog will speak volumes. And your talking point here will become painfully relative.
14th October 2012
Old 14th October 2012
Gear Head

I just hope version 1.1 brings in the export audio in mono. That should have been standard with 1.0
Why in the hell would I want to export a stereo stem of my kick drum:(
14th October 2012
Old 14th October 2012
Gear Guru

I'm not touching this thing until its doing a solid[rtas,etc] interface with Protools.
constant importing/ exporting -
14th October 2012
Old 14th October 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlpd3147 View Post
I just hope version 1.1 brings in the export audio in mono. That should have been standard with 1.0
Why in the hell would I want to export a stereo stem of my kick drum:(
yeah +1.
makes absolutely zero sense having to always split files to mono.
15th October 2012
Old 15th October 2012
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
yeah +1.
makes absolutely zero sense having to always split files to mono.
The most basic concept in mixing drums, was overlooked. I have taken the Ren off my list of things to do for now. This may change at some point if they address some things.
Hobbs_Won
15th October 2012
Old 15th October 2012
Hobbs_Won

Quote:
If it was a stereo kick drum?
oh yea because that's definitely the norm......
15th October 2012
Old 15th October 2012
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbs_Won View Post
oh yea because that's definitely the norm......
I can see a need for mono and stereo. I wouldn't be doing drums only if I copped it. However it is a drum controller.

With that said, ya'll appear to be going in on Jah, so Im gonna make my exit riiiiight about here lol.
15th October 2012
Old 15th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah sure.
that's certainly a workaround.
..only if it works in my DAW,which is Pro Tools 10HD.
[Avid Pro Tools - one of the most popular DAW's in the industry].
Does it?
Solidly?
or is it one of those vague promised "in the future updates" we may never see?
Currently there is no rtas/pt support but I honestly can't see them not rectifying that mistake that's a huge one
15th October 2012
Old 15th October 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyMan View Post
Currently there is no rtas/pt support but I honestly can't see them not rectifying that mistake that's a huge one
it'll be there.

According to Akai tech support, we're days, maybe hours, away from the update.
15th October 2012
Old 15th October 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMAKEMADBEATS View Post
it'll be there.

According to Akai tech support, we're days, maybe hours, away from the update.
I'll believe it when its out there working rock solid.
till then I'll use something else.
15th October 2012
Old 15th October 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
I definitely respect that.
16th October 2012
Old 16th October 2012
Lives for gear

Oh yeah....
16th October 2012
Old 16th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm waiting as well
16th October 2012
Old 16th October 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
I'm waiting as well

How will you get rock solid software when the OS there on is not rock solid?
16th October 2012
Old 16th October 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumG View Post
How will you get rock solid software when the OS there is on is not rock solid?
then Akai will lose a LOT of sales to professional producer/engineers.
do or die,sink or swim,step up to the plate ..etc etc
16th October 2012
Old 16th October 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
use what you got now rock solid will not happen in your life time. A boss drum machine is rock solid but you guys don't want that lol. What you guys probably want is 1 million nerdy things and with that come 1 million bugs.
16th October 2012
Old 16th October 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
then Akai will lose a LOT of sales to professional producer/engineers.
do or die,sink or swim,step up to the plate ..etc etc
You didn't answer the question so let me state it again. How will you get rock solid software if the OS there on is no stable?
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search