The OFFICIAL Akai MPC Renaissance Thread
Dor
20th December 2012
Old 20th December 2012
Dor
Lives for gear

I was able to get external midi working with the Ren inserted as a plugin in PT10. It's not the most elegant or streamlined approach but it works.

As noted by Jah on the mpc forums.

1. Create an Instrument Track within your DAW

2. MIDI Input of the Instrument track should be 'MPC 1' which is the Ren

3. MIDI Output of the Instrument track should 'MPC Port 1-4" which is A-D ports

4. Audio Input of the Instrument track should be Output of your external sound module

Now inside the Ren plugin, you simply need to create a MIDI Track with the correct MIDI Port that you sound module is connected to.

D
20th December 2012
Old 20th December 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dor View Post
I was able to get external midi working with the Ren inserted as a plugin in PT10. It's not the most elegant or streamlined approach but it works.

As noted by Jah on the mpc forums.

1. Create an Instrument Track within your DAW

2. MIDI Input of the Instrument track should be 'MPC 1' which is the Ren

3. MIDI Output of the Instrument track should 'MPC Port 1-4" which is A-D ports

4. Audio Input of the Instrument track should be Output of your external sound module

Now inside the Ren plugin, you simply need to create a MIDI Track with the correct MIDI Port that you sound module is connected to.

D
Thought so! All these post complaining about the lack of midi when they just did not know how to set it up. This is the same process for any plug-in that outputs midi like Maschine etc.. The routing is handled in your DAW. You have to set up a midi track that taps the output of the plugin as the input to the midi track. You then need to rout the output of that midi track to an external midi port. The midi port just needs to be activated in your DAW preferences and selected as the output of the midi track. Nice to know it works in RTAS just like VST. Won't work with AU though so nothing in logic. Note that Live will restrict this to one channel only but other than that will work in any other DAW.
Dor
20th December 2012
Old 20th December 2012
Dor
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gear Geek View Post
Thought so! All these post complaining about the lack of midi when they just did not know how to set it up. This is the same process for any plug-in that outputs midi like Maschine etc.. The routing is handled in your DAW. You have to set up a midi track that taps the output of the plugin as the input to the midi track. You then need to rout the output of that midi track to an external midi port. The midi port just needs to be activated in your DAW preferences and selected as the output of the midi track. Nice to know it works in RTAS just like VST. Won't work with AU though so nothing in logic. Note that Live will restrict this to one channel only but other than that will work in any other DAW.
Reports on the mpc forums are saying it works this way in Logic as well. I'm unable to confirm.
21st December 2012
Old 21st December 2012
Lives for gear

So it just needed to be routed?

That makes sense. I couldn't believe they would release it with something so major missing. I'll grab a studio once I get a chance to go over by Raj and check it out.

I would figure it would have to be routed via the DAW. You're running it inside the DAW and from what I understand, the MPC is basically a midi interface.

I don't really need a sync in if I can do everything I need within the pro tools environment.

I don't have one to experiment so can someone test
Does it have to be an instrument track? If I put a plugin on an aux and make midi tracks it should work that way as well right

It sounds like I'd only need to save a template with all of my routing named and it would be all good.

I do this now in protools. Some of my keyboards are hung off the midi outs of my computer and my MPC's 4th midi out feeds the computer. I have to route in the computer which keyboard gets the midi from that 4th output. I arm a midi track so that it will cause the midi to flow through.
Dor
23rd December 2012
Old 23rd December 2012
Dor
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by IM WHO YOU THINK View Post
So it just needed to be routed?

That makes sense. I couldn't believe they would release it with something so major missing. I'll grab a studio once I get a chance to go over by Raj and check it out.

I would figure it would have to be routed via the DAW. You're running it inside the DAW and from what I understand, the MPC is basically a midi interface.

I don't really need a sync in if I can do everything I need within the pro tools environment.

I don't have one to experiment so can someone test
Does it have to be an instrument track? If I put a plugin on an aux and make midi tracks it should work that way as well right

It sounds like I'd only need to save a template with all of my routing named and it would be all good.

I do this now in protools. Some of my keyboards are hung off the midi outs of my computer and my MPC's 4th midi out feeds the computer. I have to route in the computer which keyboard gets the midi from that 4th output. I arm a midi track so that it will cause the midi to flow through.
Hey man,

I was able to add a the MPC plugin on an aux track in PT. I use my 3k the same way in regards to sequencing on the mpc and outputting midi to the computer. I have both of my synths directly connected to the 3k.

What are the advantages of having the synths connected to a midi interface if you are sequencing with the 4k? Too many synths? I used to have my synths connected to my motu express xt interface when I was sequencing in a DAW. Currently I'm only using a single midi cable out of the mpc into the interface.

Gotta spend some time setting up templates with the Ren to see if i'm feeling the workflow. It's just so easy using the 3k and the sync gen pro. The Ren is actually feeling like a compromise in terms of stability and the sound I'm currently getting with my rig using outboard gear. The idea of having it all ITB is appealing, but in reality I'm still doing all of my work on the 'outdated' 3k.

D
25th December 2012
Old 25th December 2012
Lives for gear

Merry Xmas GS
25th December 2012
Old 25th December 2012
I EAT VINYL FOR DINNER

very creative . but to bad its still spam lol .. merry x mas
25th December 2012
Old 25th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIDIchlorian View Post

Merry Xmas GS
The boredom is strong in this one

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSTA_ONE View Post
With the crap that has gone on in this thread how can you be mad at that?
25th December 2012
Old 25th December 2012
Lives for gear

Lighten up guys.
25th December 2012
Old 25th December 2012
I EAT VINYL FOR DINNER

not mad at all .. it looks trippy mane .. @pete .. can you tell us how soon 1.3 is dropping ?
Brb
26th December 2012
Old 26th December 2012
Brb
Gear addict

The Ren can only do one holiday?

Omg Ren suckz

Maschine mk 2 can do way more holidays than that
26th December 2012
Old 26th December 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Let the man do his job. :0)
28th December 2012
Old 28th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey man,

I was able to add a the MPC plugin on an aux track in PT. I use my 3k the same way in regards to sequencing on the mpc and outputting midi to the computer. I have both of my synths directly connected to the 3k.

What are the advantages of having the synths connected to a midi interface if you are sequencing with the 4k? Too many synths? I used to have my synths connected to my motu express xt interface when I was sequencing in a DAW. Currently I'm only using a single midi cable out of the mpc into the interface.

Gotta spend some time setting up templates with the Ren to see if i'm feeling the workflow. It's just so easy using the 3k and the sync gen pro. The Ren is actually feeling like a compromise in terms of stability and the sound I'm currently getting with my rig using outboard gear. The idea of having it all ITB is appealing, but in reality I'm still doing all of my work on the 'outdated' 3k.

D
Dor, I run quite a few modules and the advantage is for routing. If I hang my motif and fantom directly off the MPC, I need to turn on/off certain midi channels to use both of them. If the midi goes through the mac, I can route if the channel goes to the motif or the Fantom

I typically run my set up with out puts A,B, and C feeding directly to some modules and D going into the mac which goes into any other modules that are not on the direct outs. I may get a bigger midi interface and hang all outs to the computer first and then out to the modules.

It's like having a midi patch bay that's labeled in Pro tools. and saved with each session.
Dor
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Dor
Lives for gear

Quote:
Dor, I run quite a few modules and the advantage is for routing. If I hang my motif and fantom directly off the MPC, I need to turn on/off certain midi channels to use both of them. If the midi goes through the mac, I can route if the channel goes to the motif or the Fantom

I typically run my set up with out puts A,B, and C feeding directly to some modules and D going into the mac which goes into any other modules that are not on the direct outs. I may get a bigger midi interface and hang all outs to the computer first and then out to the modules.

It's like having a midi patch bay that's labeled in Pro tools. and saved with each session.
Right on. I try to keep my routing as simple as possible, not having a bunch of modules helps with that. Still hoping the Ren gets sync in with the next update.

D
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Lives for gear

Well I'm going to have to check this again. I hope I'm wrong. When I want external Midi via the 1 / 4 ports , this bypasses the VSTi function.
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Lives for gear

Well yes and no. Its all goofy to be honest. I love this thing but until you can use it like it should be, they got work to do. If I could at least sync the Ren while running the DAW and use the Ren like it was a stand alone and controller, I would be thrilled. But I can't get it to do this, fully.
It works awesome in VSTi, thats for sure and thats enough for me to buy this.

Yes, I was able to use it in VSTi and send out Midi data to other synths as suggested above, but you cannot use the MPC as a controller then. Like note repeat to trigger other outboard synths. There are work arounds for this , slightly, but it all goofy. Trying to explain what I was able to do and not able to do is a twisted nightmare so , yes, you are right and your are wrong.

I'm sure its going to get better though and I'm not going to give up on this by any means. After a few hours of this, I've had enough. It should be easier.
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiokid View Post
Well yes and no. Its all goofy to be honest. I love this thing but until you can use it like it should be, they got work to do. If I could at least sync the Ren while running the DAW and use the Ren like it was a stand alone and controller, I would be thrilled. But I can't get it to do this, fully.
It works awesome in VSTi, thats for sure and thats enough for me to buy this.

Yes, I was able to use it in VSTi and send out Midi data to other synths as suggested above, but you cannot use the MPC as a controller then. Like note repeat to trigger other outboard synths. There are work arounds for this , slightly, but it all goofy. Trying to explain what I was able to do and not able to do is a twisted nightmare so , yes, you are right and your are wrong.

I'm sure its going to get better though and I'm not going to give up on this by any means. After a few hours of this, I've had enough. It should be easier.
If it's sending the midi when it's used in plugin mode, The Daw is only there for routing, why cant u use note repeat? Is there some type of soft thru midi function that you dont have turned on? Experiment a bit with it please (I don't have one yet ) If it's used as a plugin do and the sequencer sends midi does it not work like other MPCs where the sequencer and controller can be separated?

(Also, you should try an MPC 4000. I've seen them going INSANELY cheap at prices near $500 lately. I almost didn't want to say this over the net, but that is probably the biggest audio bargain ever (since the time a studio in New Orleans was rumored to be throwing out Pultecs b/c they were tearing the building down). I think coming from a 60, the 4k would impress you with how much of what you seek it does. And for $500-600, it's a STEAL.
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
Lives for gear

Thanks, I'll try more and keep us posted.
I know, MPC 4000 !
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiokid View Post
Thanks, I'll try more and keep us posted.
I know, MPC 4000 !
For $500 it's almost a crime not to have one.

LOL It's not like I'm sellling mine. Just saying how many of the problems you mentioned earlier they solve. (If only I could now find that studio that was throwing out pultecs lol.)
1st January 2013
Old 1st January 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
For $500 it's almost a crime not to have one.

LOL It's not like I'm sellling mine. Just saying how many of the problems you mentioned earlier they solve. (If only I could now find that studio that was throwing out pultecs lol.)
Not seeing any 4ks listed for even close to $500. Must have been fluke.

CS.
1st January 2013
Old 1st January 2013
Gear Head

How is the overal stability of software and how is the software workflow now? I've seen today the Studio and Ren in my local computer store and I must say it is tempting, especially the ren with all the knobs but a simple google search brings tons of people screaming "fire" on the stability issue.
No question that they will get there, just don't want to be unpaid beta tester at this time. It seems it is quite hard to get honest opinion. It is either "absolutely great" or "utter crap" variety...and I don't subscribe to either.
1st January 2013
Old 1st January 2013
Gear interested

So I just got Ren. The installing went fine but none of the drums are showing up. I found them but when I go into the folders the drums and programs are not there. I tried the expansions and all those work. Im running the latest version of snow leopard. Im even having a hard time finding uninstaller on the new mac os. Any suggestions
1st January 2013
Old 1st January 2013
I EAT VINYL FOR DINNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike781 View Post
So I just got Ren. The installing went fine but none of the drums are showing up. I found them but when I go into the folders the drums and programs are not there. I tried the expansions and all those work. Im running the latest version of snow leopard. Im even having a hard time finding uninstaller on the new mac os. Any suggestions
i dont know if i am reading this right . but to uninstall anything on a mac just throw it in the trash bin . then restart .. from what i was told . correct me if i am wrong
Dor
1st January 2013
Old 1st January 2013
Dor
Lives for gear

Quote:
i dont know if i am reading this right . but to uninstall anything on a mac just throw it in the trash bin . then restart .. from what i was told . correct me if i am wrong
That would be an incomplete un-install leaving various files hanging around. Uninstall the Ren, go to ~/Library/ApplicationSupport/MPC and run the various un-installers. OP (BostonMike781), I'm guessing you missed a step on the install. The Ren isn't exactly point and click to install. It's like point, click, reboot. Point click install, point click launch ...

Happy New Year!
1st January 2013
Old 1st January 2013
I EAT VINYL FOR DINNER

Happy New Year
1st January 2013
Old 1st January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by co-signer View Post
Not seeing any 4ks listed for even close to $500. Must have been fluke.

CS.
I saw 2 on ebay about a week ago. (Of course I don't need another one, but I would be tempted at $500 ) Must have been too good to be true.

I'm really hoping Audio Kid can get the Ren working completely. Between him, Raj, and Dor I know I'm getting real user reviews/opinions. Hopefully Akai kicks ass with the Ren.

(I'm considering going back to a 3k with a sync box.)
1st January 2013
Old 1st January 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
That would be an incomplete un-install leaving various files hanging around. Uninstall the Ren, go to ~/Library/ApplicationSupport/MPC and run the various un-installers. OP (BostonMike781), I'm guessing you missed a step on the install. The Ren isn't exactly point and click to install. It's like point, click, reboot. Point click install, point click launch ...

Happy New Year!
Thank you. Just wondering do I have to uninstall the 4 instruments that came with it too.
1st January 2013
Old 1st January 2013
Gear interested

I cant even find the uninstaller on this new OS or its just not showing up. Would it be a issue if I just reinstalled everything?
1st January 2013
Old 1st January 2013
I EAT VINYL FOR DINNER

i am thinking about getting the mpc studio 2day should i do it ?
1st January 2013
Old 1st January 2013
Gear interested

Found it.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search