The OFFICIAL Akai MPC Renaissance Thread
New Reply
Subscribe
3rd January 2013
Old 3rd January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsowa View Post
Played with the Ren for about 6 hours yesterday. Had probably 4 crashes. You need to save your project on a pretty frequent basis. (I'm using a fairly new iMac).

Honestly I stop using 3rd party Efx's and I havent had that problem anymore.

I think USB is just a really garbage format. I often have issues with my M-Audio USB interface, too.

Firewire interfaces only bro, I was in that same boat as well.

The Q-Link knobs are an embarrassment as far as accuracy is concerned. Fine for adjusting broad things like filter cutoff, but for more precise things it's hopeless, like trying to scratch on a USB DJ controller.

I will agree with you on this, And I really dont think I like 16 knobs FOR now.
3rd January 2013
Old 3rd January 2013
Lives for gear

I'm using the ASIO driver for my RME card. AES EBU / USB and Windows7 is Rock solid on this system The USB is amazing. I'm very surprised actually.
3rd January 2013
Old 3rd January 2013
Gear interested

I enjoyed the REN as a piece of hardware, but I ended up selling mine on eBay as I felt I couldn't justify the cost. I was caught on numerous occasions, with 1+ hours into a track where it crashed and I lost a significant amount of work. Just wasn't happy shelling out $1299 for that... For now i'm going to stick with MPD + Ableton Live. All that said, it was a beautifully designed/constructed piece of hardware.
3rd January 2013
Old 3rd January 2013
Gear maniac

Monsta how big are the q-links? Bigger than the Jog wheel on the 1000?
3rd January 2013
Old 3rd January 2013
I EAT VINYL FOR DINNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaydigi View Post
Monsta how big are the q-links? Bigger than the Jog wheel on the 1000?
the five q links on the left of the studio is about the same size as a quarter .. the jog wheel on the mpc studio and the mpc 1000 looks 2 be the same idk . i never owned a mpc 1000 sorry man .. but the studio looks nyce but the q links are made for girls with small hands .. and how do you turn off the blinking tap tempo light . it gets annoying after a wile .. but thats just me
3rd January 2013
Old 3rd January 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiokid View Post
I'm using the ASIO driver for my RME card. AES EBU / USB and Windows7 is Rock solid on this system The USB is amazing. I'm very surprised actually.
Win7 alone or The Ren software under Win7 ?
3rd January 2013
Old 3rd January 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Nah, when you're in "Program Edit" mode, you hit the pad you want to edit, and then it shows the 16 parameters you can adjust.
Can you enter such values with the mouse wheel?
3rd January 2013
Old 3rd January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by daslicht View Post
Can you enter such values with the mouse wheel?
Yea, you can adjust all parameters in the software pop-up that runs on your computer. And that's an effective and reliable method. But I got this thing so I didn't have to touch the mouse.

Also, used the Ren for 5 hours last night and had 0 crashes. Maybe you just gotta 'break it in' like a new pair of monitors.
3rd January 2013
Old 3rd January 2013
Gear Head

Is it possible to zoom in out using hardware controls ?
How about scrolling when zoomed fully in ?
Is there a way to jump to the start / end point of a sample when zoomed fully in ?
Is there no vertical zoom of the waveform ?
Can you set the keyrange and the rootkey of a keygroup zone with a midi keyboard ?
3rd January 2013
Old 3rd January 2013
Lives for gear

http://www.akaiprompc.com//pdf/MPC-R...anual-v1.1.pdf

From what I can tell, the hardware buttons and knobs only control hardware functions. Zooming and scrolling around waveforms is something that can only be achieved in the software with the mouse. I don't believe you can vertical zoom on waveforms. But since you're only looking at one waveform at a time, and it's quite large, it's not an issue as far as I can see. You can vertical zoom in the piano roll, though.

As far as moving around while zooming in, I didn't mess with it a ton. But I did find that when I was fully zoomed and I hit play, it would scroll, but then when I let go of the pad and the sound stopped it would return me back to the beginning of the wave form. That was pretty annoying because I was dealing with a large waveform. There is no 'play' cursor to keep your place as it's scrolling.

The old MPC hardware step sequencer view is gone. If you want to make small edits, you must do it in the software. Otherwise you go in REC mode and record over the sequencer track. Even though that was a pretty unintuitive method, I kinda miss it.

You can set the key range and 'original note' for keygroup zones. But I believe it must be done in the software. I don't know if it can be done via some faster shortcut by merely hitting keys on a MIDI controller (if that's what you're asking). I doubt it, though.
3rd January 2013
Old 3rd January 2013
Gear Head

I just tried the software in demo mode.
Nice but if there is no hardware zoom its a no-go for me.

Thanks for the answer!
3rd January 2013
Old 3rd January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by daslicht View Post
I just tried the software in demo mode.
Nice but if there is no hardware zoom its a no-go for me.

Thanks for the answer!
When I first got it, I was thinking it'd be cool to just drag a whole mp3 into the Ren and then isolate the part I want and start chopping. However, navigating large waveforms is a PIA. So what I'm doing now is running a cable from my computer's audio out into the MPC and just sampling things as I play them in iTunes on the computer. It's like sampling vinyl.
3rd January 2013
Old 3rd January 2013
I EAT VINYL FOR DINNER

Yea you can zoom with the q-links
3rd January 2013
Old 3rd January 2013
I EAT VINYL FOR DINNER

so i am trying to make program kits . and i made a couple but for some reason i can only load a program . on bank a ? and when i delete a program it only deletes the name not the program from the browser
Dor
3rd January 2013
Old 3rd January 2013
Dor
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSTA_ONE View Post
so i am trying to make program kits . and i made a couple but for some reason i can only load a program . on bank a ? and when i delete a program it only deletes the name not the program from the browser
You can't load separate programs into individual banks within a program. The samples will be loaded into the banks you specified when creating the programs. No sample or program purge from HW or SW.

D

Follow me @boomspot
3rd January 2013
Old 3rd January 2013
I EAT VINYL FOR DINNER

fist of all i wana ask . do u think thats how it should be done .. and you are saying . if you make a program in h .. it will only load in h ? same rule apply when loading and making program banks A-H ? .. whats the best way 2 make drum kits and save em on this software ? i think you should be able to have a choice of witch bank you wana load a program on right ?
3rd January 2013
Old 3rd January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
fist of all i wana ask . do u think thats how it should be done .. and you are saying . if you make a program in h .. it will only load in h ? same rule apply when loading and making program banks A-H ? .. whats the best way 2 make drum kits and save em on this software ? i think you should be able to have a choice of witch bank you wana load a program on right ?
If I'm not mistaken, a program is a higher structure than a bank. All programs contain their own banks A through H. You can't squeeze a program into a single bank because it's bigger than that. A program is like a subdivision. A bank is just one of the houses in that subdivision.
3rd January 2013
Old 3rd January 2013
I EAT VINYL FOR DINNER

Quote:
If . A program is like a subdivision. A bank is just one of the houses in that subdivision.
so why cant i pick witch subdivision i want to load ? do u understand what i am tryin to say ? for example . lets say banks a-g . but i wana add a program to bank h . are you sayin in order to do this . i would of had to save an already made program in bank H ? ok whats the best way to make chops/ drum kits ...
3rd January 2013
Old 3rd January 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
the five q links on the left of the studio is about the same size as a quarter .. the jog wheel on the mpc studio and the mpc 1000 looks 2 be the same idk . i never owned a mpc 1000 sorry man .. but the studio looks nyce but the q links are made for girls with small hands .. and how do you turn off the blinking tap tempo light . it gets annoying after a wile .. but thats just me
Thanks, i'm debating on the Ren or Studio. The deciding factor outside of the crashes are the Q-links. I think the studio q links will drive me mad.
Dor
3rd January 2013
Old 3rd January 2013
Dor
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
so why cant i pick witch subdivision i want to load ? do u understand what i am tryin to say ? for example . lets say banks a-g . but i wana add a program to bank h . are you sayin in order to do this . i would of had to save an already made program in bank H ? ok whats the best way to make chops/ drum kits ...
Right, programs house banks, you can't load a program into a bank. Same way MPC's have always been set up. Have you used an mpc before?

Right now it's a major PITA to make programs in the MPC software. Not being able to drag a folder or multiple samples at the same time to the pads is a huge oversight and better be coming in 1.3. I've been using MPC Program 187 to set around this missing feature.

Chop to new program is the easiest way I know of at the moment for chopping samples to new programs.
3rd January 2013
Old 3rd January 2013
I EAT VINYL FOR DINNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dor View Post
Right, programs house banks, you can't load a program into a bank. Same way MPC's have always been set up. Have you used an mpc before?

Right now it's a major PITA to make programs in the MPC software. Not being able to drag a folder or multiple samples at the same time to the pads is a huge oversight and better be coming in 1.3. I've been using MPC Program 187 to set around this missing feature.

Chop to new program is the easiest way I know of at the moment for chopping samples to new programs.
when saving a progam why is there not a filling system . like for example .. if i save a progam on bank h . it should automatically have an bank h name in the file . you get what i am saying lol ? heres what i am gona do . i am gona just make a bunch of programs and just name it what ever letter banks they are on . like drum chops a ... and keys b ... panio chops c .. ect .. i dont understand . it should be able to save and load chops and you pick what bank you want to load it to . even with my asr 10 i can make a kit . and i can save and load it in to any 8 banks of choice ..
3rd January 2013
Old 3rd January 2013
I EAT VINYL FOR DINNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaydigi View Post
Thanks, i'm debating on the Ren or Studio. The deciding factor outside of the crashes are the Q-links. I think the studio q links will drive me mad.
well the thing that saves me from going mad is .. its a speed scroll on each q link .. fast med and slow .. so you dont have to turn like the other mpcs lol other wize it would never work . your fingers would slip off ..
Dor
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
Dor
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
when saving a progam why is there not a filling system . like for example .. if i save a progam on bank h . it should automatically have an bank h name in the file . you get what i am saying lol ? heres what i am gona do . i am gona just make a bunch of programs and just name it what ever letter banks they are on . like drum chops a ... and keys b ... panio chops c .. ect .. i dont understand . it should be able to save and load chops and you pick what bank you want to load it to . even with my asr 10 i can make a kit . and i can save and load it in to any 8 banks of choice ..
I'm fine with program names, but i can see how having 8 banks full of samples could be tricky to keep track of.

D
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
I EAT VINYL FOR DINNER

when i am previewing a sample it only plays about 20 sec of a sample .. is there a way to play the full sample ? or its fixed ?
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
I EAT VINYL FOR DINNER

there should be a save kit/load kit option and a choice of what bank you want to load that kit ... man i am tryin to go ham . and make a bunch of drum kits right now 3am lol
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
there should be a save kit/load kit option and a choice of what bank you want to load that kit ... man i am tryin to go ham . and make a bunch of drum kits right now 3am lol
a program contains 128 pads divided into 8 banks. You can't load programs into specific banks because a program might have pads in bank A and H.
Why do you want to save separate programs for your different banks? why not just use one program?
5th January 2013
Old 5th January 2013
I EAT VINYL FOR DINNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteblues View Post
a program contains 128 pads divided into 8 banks. You can't load programs into specific banks because a program might have pads in bank A and H.
Why do you want to save separate programs for your different banks? why not just use one program?
your right .. i think i got different work flows mixed up last night .. but i do have one more prob . how do you delete a program and all its content ? i can do it manually .but there's no way of telling witch sound associates with witch program because there is no playback in the project information browser..
Dor
5th January 2013
Old 5th January 2013
Dor
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
your right .. i think i got different work flows mixed up last night .. but i do have one more prob . how do you delete a program and all its content ? i can do it manually .but there's no way of telling witch sound associates with witch program because there is no playback in the project information browser..
Manually deleting is the only way remove samples. The sample purge feature found on the last 3 or 4 MPCs is missing from the Ren.

Pete, please correct me if I'm incorrect.

D
5th January 2013
Old 5th January 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dor View Post
Manually deleting is the only way remove samples. The sample purge feature found on the last 3 or 4 MPCs is missing from the Ren.

Pete, please correct me if I'm incorrect.

D
That's correct. There is no sample purge feature in the current version.
5th January 2013
Old 5th January 2013
Gear interested

Do MPC1000's still count in this forum? lol
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search