In Pro Mix Land what are the standard plug ins? Platforms?
jazztone
11th June 2006
Old 11th June 2006
Gear maniac

In Pro Mix Land what are the standard plug ins? Platforms?

What's up. I want to know about the top guys and girls who have are are moving from SSL to in the box. What are they using to mix in the box and are there standards. I ask becuase not since DISCO have there been so many songs released to radio which sound like they were produced and mixed with the exact same sounds and ears or gear. Especially RAP Music. Is everyone at the top using the exact same plugs and and few platfroms. I know Protools and Nuendo chart hits regularly, But what about Logic?
11th June 2006
Old 11th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazztone
I ask becuase not since DISCO have there been so many songs released to radio which sound like they were produced and mixed with the exact same sounds and ears or gear
I think this has more to do with the fact that lots of stuff on the radio is produced by the same group of people.
jazztone
11th June 2006
Old 11th June 2006
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by strauss
I think this has more to do with the fact that lots of stuff on the radio is produced by the same group of people.

I find that extremely interesting. Are you saying that the crediting on production is inaccurate and taht all this music is being done by say 25-30 people?
11th June 2006
Old 11th June 2006
Lives for gear

I don't know which records you're reffering to, but a lot of music in the top charts are indeed done by the same people. Record mooks want what's hot at the moment and sometimes even demand producers to repeat themselfs.

Back when Rodney Jerkins was real hot in the charts I didn't pay much attention to who produced what and noticed alot of R'n'B records at that time sounded the same (J-Lo, Toni Braxton, Destiny's Child, Brandy & Monica). Later I noticed they where all produced by the same guy.
11th June 2006
Old 11th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazztone
I find that extremely interesting. Are you saying that the crediting on production is inaccurate and taht all this music is being done by say 25-30 people?

Look up the discographys of these people and get back to me

Rick Rubin
Chris Lord Alge
Tom Lord Alge
Jack Joseph Puig
Alan Moulder
Bob Clearmountain
Andy Wallace
George Marino
jazztone
12th June 2006
Old 12th June 2006
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by djui5
Look up the discographys of these people and get back to me

Rick Rubin
Chris Lord Alge
Tom Lord Alge
Jack Joseph Puig
Alan Moulder
Bob Clearmountain
Andy Wallace
George Marino
I understand this point above. Actually I'm thinking of the Neal Pogue, serban ghenea
Cladiocueni, Phil tans of the world. Gotta mention Dave pensado. At the same time Swizz Beatz is using a new guy. Ice cube new stuff was done by an up and comer from L.A. Dave Lopez. These guys and a few more make up most of the urban music being mixed. It's a Sonic and Production element that is very similar across the board.
Like everyone is using the same samples, mics, plugs and set ups. I was just wondering if anyone has been blessed to be in enough session that represent the top say 20% of the record sales that have noticed trends in plug in usage etc. For instance it was at one time suggested that records in the box could only be pulled off with Protools and Nuendo. Has that changed? If so what are people using?
13th June 2006
Old 13th June 2006
Lives for gear

Probably protools. I hate protools. Maybe that's why I don't have any hits!......yet.

BaseJase
Illynoise
13th June 2006
Old 13th June 2006
Lives for gear

I think there's a lot of closet cubase and logic users making music, but then they transfer to PT.

BaseJase
13th June 2006
Old 13th June 2006
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

jazztone, I don't know why you want to know this, if you are just curious or seriously want to match professional sound quality. As far as I know Pro Tools is the standard platform. But look, if you are serious about this I think you should really try these different platforms and plug-ins yourself. These things are so fundamental in recording that you need to make good own decisions about it if you are seriously trying to create something very professional. Professionals prefer high bit depth both in the platform itself and in the plug-ins they are using but they always use their ears most of all since that's the most important thing. I find Cubase SX to be better sounding than both Nuendo and Sonar (so does my brother) and I've not heard Pro Tools, I've tried to figure out the reason why I find Cubase SX to be better sounding but until today I've not been able to explain this difference. One thing would be if they are utilizing slightly different summing algorithms. Another thing would be if their default configurations are very different and I've missed out on setting some important property (it's not the stereo pan law though).
13th June 2006
Old 13th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowStorm
I find Cubase SX to be better sounding than both Nuendo and Sonar..
Cubase SX and Nuendo both have the EXACT same audio engine!
13th June 2006
Old 13th June 2006
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strauss
Cubase SX and Nuendo both have the EXACT same audio engine!
OK, I would expect that since they are both done by the same company... Anyway, very interesting... Something makes it better sounding, whatever that is, but probably a configuration difference it seems like then... Track/sample alignment?!

Now, I just need to make sure I'm not hijacking this thread as well!
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search