what equipment i need for a home studio for rap?
Old 20th June 2012
Gear interested

what equipment i need for a home studio for rap?

For some time now ive been wanting to start recording some songs (rap/hiphop) from my house.
My budget is about 2000 dollars
i already have a blue bird microphone (dont know if it is useful for some good quality recording)
i have a m audio fast track (once again dont know if its usefull)

i cant quite figure out what the difference between a pre amp and a audio interface

WHAT DO I NEED TO START RECORDING GOOD QUALITY???
Old 20th June 2012
EMXPRSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by apimuzik View Post
For some time now ive been wanting to start recording some songs (rap/hiphop) from my house.
My budget is about 2000 dollars
i already have a blue bird microphone (dont know if it is useful for some good quality recording)
i have a m audio fast track (once again dont know if its usefull)

i cant quite figure out what the difference between a pre amp and a audio interface

WHAT DO I NEED TO START RECORDING GOOD QUALITY???
Actually all you need is a computer and a daw to start recording. If you want to spend $2000 to upgrade you equipment, you can start with acoustics of your room but newbies dont like that. They want equipment with bunch a lights on them Specially if you dont know the difference between mic pre and audio interface, i would suggest you to learn what you have inside-out first then upgrade your equipment.

Pre Amp -Boosts the audio signal to desired level.
Audio interface - think of it as a sound card with more capabilities.
(m audio fast track must have a built mic pre on it)

This is the simplest way i can explain.

Good luck.
Old 20th June 2012
Gear nut

Here is what I would buy

Here is what I would do with $2,000 and a fresh slate

$500 - decent desktop computer
$500 - on decent software DAW and Mastering plugins. Most times VSTs and mastering plugins will come with the DAW.
$100 - decent midi keyboard
$100 - Drum controller
$600 - Your choice, can spend on hardware sounds or more VSTs.

If it were me, I would take the last $700, and try to squeeze an MPC 1000 and a Motif or Fantom Rack out of it.
Old 20th June 2012
Banned

Im surprised anyone attempted to answer. Not nearly enough info here to reccomend anything. I reccomend you give more detail on what exactly you are trying to record with this budget.

Vocals only? Do you even make music? Do you have equipment for making music? If so, what equipment do you have?

If you have the music part covered and the 2k is only for recording vocals I would reccomend it one way.

If you want to also record instruments, it would be slightly different.

People making reccomendations at this point, are just flapping their gums.
Old 20th June 2012
Lives for gear

...u should learn about SBIR, Blumlein, M-S micing, transient design, absorbtion coeficients, RFZ, LEDE, RT60 decay, and how to manually set ur pre-delay times on a convolution reverb b4 u get into any of that other stuff....like actually recording music :P

Oh and go ahead and build a Helmholtz resonator too
Old 20th June 2012
Lives for gear

Jk dude...but seriously, ditch the Fast Track. Its a piece of crap.

And def more info needed for ppl to actually help u!

Another definition of an interface would be a "device" that converts ur analog sound (voice/guitar/bass/etc thru a preamp) into DIGITAL so ur computer can process it. And guess what..? It has to convert it BACK to analog again so that u can hear it via ur speakers. Sometimes called ADA conversion or ADC or DAC depending on the application.
Old 20th June 2012
Lives for gear

If you are only interested in recording songs get Pro Tools.
Old 20th June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIDIchlorian View Post
If you are only interested in recording songs get Pro Tools.
Yeah bcz the other sequencers dont record songs....wtf lol???
Old 20th June 2012
Gear addict

I can tell you acoustics is better them any piece of equipment, all you need is a couple plugins and or mpc depending on your sound, I know plenty people touring an making money off 4track and pro studio recordings
Old 20th June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfortune View Post
I can tell you acoustics is better them any piece of equipment
Dude acoustics are a big part of it....but not BETTER than ANY PIECE of equipment . Monitors? A good signal chain? Great converters? What good does an acoustically sound room do u if all those things are off? Likewise...u can have great equipment but shitty acoustics and ur still missin out. Acoustic treatment is EQUAL at most in importance.

Quote:
..all you need is a couple plugins and or mpc depending on your sound.
MPC I agree....but for a "couple plugins" u need a sequencer too (duh). And if u had only TWO plugins to use they better be badass which puts them into the $350+ range I bet. Ur simplifying this WAY too much man.

Quote:
I know plenty people touring an making money off 4track and pro studio recordings
U mean they're doing their vocals in a pro studio, but laying down their beats on a 4-track?? A pro studio guy is doin their recording AND mixing on high-end equipment? That costs money and goes against what the OP is getting at....building his own HOME studio. And lol a 4-track? Maybe with a Fantom or other synth/sampler workstation plugged into it....but again...more money!! If ur buddies are making money and touring off DEMO'S that they made with just these tools...thats awesome, but you're leaving a lot out of the equation and not really sayin anything.

Not that the OP is even paying attention anymore....I just got bored and found this thread
Old 21st June 2012
Lives for beer

From what I'v heard, the Blue Bird is a decent mic. Like people have said, it depends what you're doing - if you're planning on making instrumentals I'd suggest a decent keyboard (I'd suggest one anyways...), some of them have drum pads on them (usually around 500) so you could get two things in one.
If you're only interested in tracking vocals, acoustic treatment would probably be a good option. I would say no matter what, you need to upgrade the M-Audio Fast Track, I'm going to assume both the preamps and converters on that are garbage. It depends again what DAW you're using - if you're using Pro Tools the Avid MBox 3 Pro might be a good option (not the best interface you can get, but decent priced and guaranteed to work well with protools). If you're using PC you could look into RME interfaces, and if you're using Mac you could look into Apogee interfaces. If you're not producing actual instrumentals, and only recording vocals, it may make more sense to buy a really good interface, a really good mic, and spend the leftover on some acoustic treatment. If you're producing instrumentals, you may want to spend some $$$ on controllers or samplers/synths/instrument plugins. If you get a decent enough interface, you shouldn't NEED a pre-amp, though I would suggest getting a decent one as you can afford it. Most higher end interfaces pre-amps are perfectly well clean and clear, perfectly usable (lower end interfaces, not so much) - a high end dedicated pre-amp will just give you that extra bit of vibe and polish to make things sound 'pro' (considering the source, and the rest of the chain, also sounded 'pro') - though I'm sure a few people could argue anything a colored preamp gives you could be emulated in software....
Old 21st June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrides View Post
Im surprised anyone attempted to answer. Not nearly enough info here to reccomend anything. I reccomend you give more detail on what exactly you are trying to record with this budget.

Vocals only? Do you even make music? Do you have equipment for making music? If so, what equipment do you have?

If you have the music part covered and the 2k is only for recording vocals I would reccomend it one way.

If you want to also record instruments, it would be slightly different.

People making reccomendations at this point, are just flapping their gums.

+1

are you planning on mixing.. if so do you have any monitors..

do you have any room treatment..

interfaces have pre-amps in them but most high end pre-amps are gonna sound better that what is in a interface.

your mic is a good mic so i would keep that for now until you can buy some more to add to your arsenal.

all this other advice means nothing without knowing the above. because if you planning on mixing and don't have any monitors and haven't treated your room then even if you buy the best interface and mic its still gonna lack.
Old 21st June 2012
Lives for gear

Just get FL Studio and spend the rest on weed and hookers.
Old 21st April 2013
Gear interested

i got a question guys i got windows 7 laptop with
behringer c1 mic
xenxy 502
and audacity
i dont have no more money but i was wondering should i buy the
Behringer UCA202 audio interface.
Here is some of my music Legion Music, Lyrics, Songs, and Videos
please help and tell me how i could improve my music
Old 21st April 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnl3886 View Post
please help and tell me how i could improve my music
I'm not sure what you mean by improve your music.
Are you talking about improving your abilities to play an instrument or sing or rap etc....?
Are you talking about songwriting?
Or are you talking about improving your recording quality?

I guess what i'm trying to say is that it's a pretty hard question to answer because it's so broad.

I guess a question I could ask you is what are your main needs right now?
What are the areas that you would like to improve the most or feel are lacking the most?
What do you plan to do in the future? Do you want to record others and grow into a studio, or do you just want to record yourself?
These are all questions and areas you could look at.
Old 21st April 2013
Banned

Old 21st April 2013
RRL
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLiRD808 View Post
Dude acoustics are a big part of it....but not BETTER than ANY PIECE of equipment . Monitors? A good signal chain? Great converters? What good does an acoustically sound room do u if all those things are off? Likewise...u can have great equipment but shitty acoustics and ur still missin out. Acoustic treatment is EQUAL at most in importance.

MPC I agree....but for a "couple plugins" u need a sequencer too (duh). And if u had only TWO plugins to use they better be badass which puts them into the $350+ range I bet. Ur simplifying this WAY too much man.

U mean they're doing their vocals in a pro studio, but laying down their beats on a 4-track?? A pro studio guy is doin their recording AND mixing on high-end equipment? That costs money and goes against what the OP is getting at....building his own HOME studio. And lol a 4-track? Maybe with a Fantom or other synth/sampler workstation plugged into it....but again...more money!! If ur buddies are making money and touring off DEMO'S that they made with just these tools...thats awesome, but you're leaving a lot out of the equation and not really sayin anything.

notice the korg daw

one of the best hip hop albums the last 10 years. if u dont know what it is, then it's never too late to google
Old 21st April 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Music View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by improve your music.
Are you talking about improving your abilities to play an instrument or sing or rap etc....?
Are you talking about songwriting?
Or are you talking about improving your recording quality?

I guess what i'm trying to say is that it's a pretty hard question to answer because it's so broad.

I guess a question I could ask you is what are your main needs right now?
What are the areas that you would like to improve the most or feel are lacking the most?
What do you plan to do in the future? Do you want to record others and grow into a studio, or do you just want to record yourself?
These are all questions and areas you could look at.
Well i have some people say that my voice just sucks and i dont know if its the equipment or not but thats what i want to know about.... my rap voice since i make my own music
Old 21st April 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRL View Post

notice the korg daw

one of the best hip hop albums the last 10 years. if u dont know what it is, then it's never too late to google

lol this is always a great post to the "room treatment" and $$$$$ out outboard jokers.

Now, I will never undermine the necessity for a great mixdown and master. If you heard the leak of Madvillainy when it was cut in that hotel room....it sounded shitty as all hell...

Dave Cooley did a great job on that album....

But the epidemic on GS is this, cats don't make the distinction from the folks who JUST WANT TO CUT MUSIC....

some dudes just want to throw the ingredients together, mix down and leave it at that! They want to delegate mastering and/or mixing to other dudes.

So these extreme monitoring conditions and all that other mud, for the most part, is really unwarranted....as it's not necessary to have all this gear to get the ra material down....

if you're making hip hop in the same vein as Doom.

Now, you can speculate that they laid the whole album down in sketch fashion and laid the whole album down AGAIN in a professional studio.....which I tend to believe they DID do with the vocals.

But I digress.
Old 21st April 2013
RRL
Gear maniac

i think they went the crappy route the whole way in recording. doom said himself in an intervew with SCRATCH magazine that he recorded one of his albums on a hand held mic. we all know for sure every madlib album is mastered, but he said himself he's not into all of this mixing. U can tell a lot of his beats(if not all) are ran straight from his boxes. Eryka Badu said she just 2tracked the beats he sent her for her for one of her albums(as well as others). Hell, 50 cent said he 2 tracked "i get money" cuz he didn't know the original owner and someone stole the beat and tried to claim credit for it. So there is no right or wrong answer just like there is no right or wrong answer in the software vs hardware debate. I feel a it's a necessity to have both whether it's a little of one.
Old 21st April 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRL View Post
i think they went the crappy route the whole way in recording. doom said himself in an intervew with SCRATCH magazine that he recorded one of his albums on a hand held mic. we all know for sure every madlib album is mastered, but he said himself he's not into all of this mixing. U can tell a lot of his beats(if not all) are ran straight from his boxes. Eryka Badu said she just 2tracked the beats he sent her for her for one of her albums(as well as others). Hell, 50 cent said he 2 tracked "i get money" cuz he didn't know the original owner and someone stole the beat and tried to claim credit for it. So there is no right or wrong answer just like there is no right or wrong answer in the software vs hardware debate. I feel a it's a necessity to have both whether it's a little of one.
Thats awesome then....and even more inspiring.

I think this forum is awesome and it is a cornucopia of useful info....but it can also be counterproductive for a lot of prospective artists, who are really concerned with the composing and arranging aspect, with getting hung up in all the mixing/mastering talk.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search