Mic and Pre combination
Old 11th June 2012
Gear interested

Mic and Pre combination

Whats up? I am trying to see if the mic and pre I have is a good combination. I have an older model Cad e300 and a Black Lion Audio B12a. I am running that into my Apogee Duet 2. Is this a good decent setup, and should I be using the pre's on the Apogee as well or bypassing them? Any help would be appreciated. I am trying to get a good vocal chain setup.
Old 11th June 2012
Lives for gear

How's it sound?
Old 11th June 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCruiser View Post
How's it sound?
To be honest, it sounds pretty clean to me. I am just really getting into producing vocals. I mainly do tracks, but recently am taking on a developing female artist and want to make sure she's getting quality vocal takes.
Old 11th June 2012
Lives for gear

All that gear is capable of sounding great. No need to run thru more than one preamp, so if you are running thru the BLA you should go from that into the line input of the Apogee.

The apogee pre's are good also if you want to use them direct from the mic instead of the BLA. It's really whichever you prefer the sound of.

If you have more than one decent mic, set them both up. One thru the BLA and one thru the apogee pre and record both onto separate tracks. Make up your mind which you like better at mix time.
Old 11th June 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCruiser View Post
All that gear is capable of sounding great. No need to run thru more than one preamp, so if you are running thru the BLA you should go from that into the line input of the Apogee.

The apogee pre's are good also if you want to use them direct from the mic instead of the BLA. It's really whichever you prefer the sound of.

If you have more than one decent mic, set them both up. One thru the BLA and one thru the apogee pre and record both onto separate tracks. Make up your mind which you like better at mix time.
Ok, good deal. I was looking at the MXL 2003a as another mic for now also.
Old 11th June 2012
Lives for gear

Might want to take how her voice is and take that into consideration if your buying a new mic for her. If her vocals are bright you might not want to purchase a bright mic. Or if she has a lot of body you might want something with a little more sheen on there. Etc.
Old 12th June 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stackx View Post
Might want to take how her voice is and take that into consideration if your buying a new mic for her. If her vocals are bright you might not want to purchase a bright mic. Or if she has a lot of body you might want something with a little more sheen on there. Etc.
Thats good advice doc...good looking out!
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search