Login / Register
 
Kick drum too loud?
New Reply
Subscribe
indelible
Thread Starter
#1
25th May 2012
Old 25th May 2012
  #1
Gear nut
 
indelible's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 85

Thread Starter
indelible is offline
Kick drum too loud?

Hi guys.I'm working on my 5 track instrumental EP.I do everything (produce,mix,master).I'm not a pro so i'm just trying to do the best i can.Now all the tracks are ready and i bring them to my car stereo for a reference.I disable the eq on the stereo and hit play.What I notice immediately was that my kicks were too hot and they distort heavily on the car speakers.And my car stereo is good stereo with good speakers.When I put a commercial cd the kicks on them sound fine.So what I'm doing wrong?Mixing mastering or both?Maybe is just a balance problem.My room is not treated.Any advice will be appreciated
#2
25th May 2012
Old 25th May 2012
  #2
Gear nut
 
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 75

BeatGenerals is offline
They sound fine when you check them on your computer? It could be either, somewhere you're distorting the mix.
__________________
High Quality FL Studio Video Tutorials

http://www.BeatGenerals.com
indelible
Thread Starter
#3
25th May 2012
Old 25th May 2012
  #3
Gear nut
 
indelible's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 85

Thread Starter
indelible is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatGenerals View Post
They sound fine when you check them on your computer? It could be either, somewhere you're distorting the mix.
Sound better than in the car.I pay a lot of attention in gain staging and there is isn't a clipping problem in the mix
#4
25th May 2012
Old 25th May 2012
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Gdupproductions's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Belgium
Posts: 1,538

Gdupproductions is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by indelible View Post
my kicks were too hot and they distort heavily on the car speakers..My room is not treated.Any advice will be appreciated

There is your anwser. When your room is not treated you can't mix and master accurate.
__________________
Twitter: https://twitter.com/Gdupproductions

Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/GdupProductions
_______________________________________________
#5
25th May 2012
Old 25th May 2012
  #5
Gear addict
 
Flip_'s Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 374

Flip_ is offline
Cant you just go back and turn them down?
#6
25th May 2012
Old 25th May 2012
  #6
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,383

j2dafo is offline
you mention doing reference listening, of sorts, with your car stereo. Are you doing the same in your studio environment? You are probably not getting an accurate response from your room/monitors. Treat your room, and do referencing listening on the same system you mix.
indelible
Thread Starter
#7
25th May 2012
Old 25th May 2012
  #7
Gear nut
 
indelible's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 85

Thread Starter
indelible is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flip_ View Post
Cant you just go back and turn them down?
Yes i can but at the actual volume they sound good at home.I try listen them on an iPad and they sounds ok.When I put them on the car stereo everything mess up
indelible
Thread Starter
#8
25th May 2012
Old 25th May 2012
  #8
Gear nut
 
indelible's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 85

Thread Starter
indelible is offline
Maybe i can try to balance things again using the iMac speakers.Can this help to translate it to the car stereo?
DAH
#9
25th May 2012
Old 25th May 2012
  #9
DAH
Lives for gear
 
DAH's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Yaroslavl, Russia
Posts: 1,698

Send a message via ICQ to DAH Send a message via Skype™ to DAH
DAH is online now
check in some cans too, bassy ones
#10
26th May 2012
Old 26th May 2012
  #10
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,493

Tnevz is offline
Check on a multimeter/analyzer, headphones, monitors, and computer speakers before you bounce it down. This can compensate a bit for not having a properly treated room and you should be able to do this pretty quickly while your mixing.

Also make sure your giving your ears a rest before mixing.
#11
26th May 2012
Old 26th May 2012
  #11
Gear maniac
 
Adura's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: São Paulo / Brazil
Posts: 220

Adura is offline
Sub-Woofer helps when mixing
#12
28th May 2012
Old 28th May 2012
  #12
Gear maniac
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 178

SochiTag is offline
#13
28th May 2012
Old 28th May 2012
  #13
Lives for gear
 
Pedantic Sound's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: NYC

Pedantic Sound is offline
Likely your mixing speakers aren't producing the lows accurately so you are cranking them to compensate in the mix. Your car stereo can reproduce those frequencies so it's distorting since you pumped them so high in the mix.

I had that issue before when I did a quick mix on just HD203 headphones and some tannoys. You play the mix on something with a sub and the lows are out of control. Even tho it might sound odd during the mix, keep the lows low until you have accurate monitoring.
__________________
Jesse Flaitz - Production sound and audio post. Greater NYC area.
http://pedanticsound.net
“A cable is a source of potential trouble connecting two other sources of potential trouble.”
indelible
Thread Starter
#14
28th May 2012
Old 28th May 2012
  #14
Gear nut
 
indelible's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 85

Thread Starter
indelible is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedantic Sound View Post
Likely your mixing speakers aren't producing the lows accurately so you are cranking them to compensate in the mix. Your car stereo can reproduce those frequencies so it's distorting since you pumped them so high in the mix.

I had that issue before when I did a quick mix on just HD203 headphones and some tannoys. You play the mix on something with a sub and the lows are out of control. Even tho it might sound odd during the mix, keep the lows low until you have accurate monitoring.
Yes I think this is the best option. I'm actually mixing a track. I'm switching between my monitors, imac speakers and headphones trying to archive the best balance. My monitors are Yamaha hs50m pair, yes I know not the best option for heavy bass. I'm looking to buy the sub for them too. When I got the money of course

Inviato dal mio HTC Desire usando Tapatalk
#15
28th May 2012
Old 28th May 2012
  #15
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,427

dubmunkey is offline
make sure bass boost isnt on your car stereo. obvious but worth checking


Sent from my GT-I9100 using Gearslutz App
__________________
Remixes
#16
28th May 2012
Old 28th May 2012
  #16
Jack of all Trades
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,265

JoRillo is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubmunkey View Post
make sure bass boost isnt on your car stereo. obvious but worth checking


Sent from my GT-I9100 using Gearslutz App
For about a year I was really hating the sound in my car stereo. The high end was crispy, Sssssibilance was killer, the low end was exaggerated and it felt like other then a vocal, the mids were none existant.

I assumed this was because of poorly converted mp3 files on my iPod, and kinda brushed it off.

About three months ago I decide to put my subs back in the trunk, so I check the car EQ, and come to find out my room mate had...

Boosted the Treble +4
Boosted the Bass +3
Cut the mids -2



At least I am riding happy again.
DAH
#17
28th May 2012
Old 28th May 2012
  #17
DAH
Lives for gear
 
DAH's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Yaroslavl, Russia
Posts: 1,698

Send a message via ICQ to DAH Send a message via Skype™ to DAH
DAH is online now
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoRillo View Post
For about a year I was really hating the sound in my car stereo. The high end was crispy, Sssssibilance was killer, the low end was exaggerated and it felt like other then a vocal, the mids were none existant.

I assumed this was because of poorly converted mp3 files on my iPod, and kinda brushed it off.

About three months ago I decide to put my subs back in the trunk, so I check the car EQ, and come to find out my room mate had...

Boosted the Treble +4
Boosted the Bass +3
Cut the mids -2



At least I am riding happy again.
?
Your car mate you mean?
#18
29th May 2012
Old 29th May 2012
  #18
Lives for gear
 
jeremycox's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 1,648
My Recordings/Credits

jeremycox is offline
Whats your monitor setup like? Whats the size of your room?
#19
29th May 2012
Old 29th May 2012
  #19
Jack of all Trades
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,265

JoRillo is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAH View Post
?
Your car mate you mean?
It could be a translation thing, but he is my room mate because he lives at the same house as me, and is also my car mate in the sense that he shares a car with me... but car mate isn't really a term I ever hear tossed around over here.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 
 
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Shizampah / So much gear, so little time!
9
thecrashfactory / So much gear, so little time!
15
Kenny Gioia / So much gear, so little time!
9

Forum Jump

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.