Login / Register

Any of you hiphop producers dabble in Dubstep or any other types of EDM?
New Reply
Subscribe
grimethamc
13th May 2012
Old 13th May 2012
Gear maniac

Any of you hiphop producers dabble in Dubstep or any other types of EDM?

Ive been making sample based boombap hiphop for about 4yrs but I've been really into (almost obsessed) with dubstep lately. I'm real green with the genre but Im really feeling I guess what they label "brostep." Rusko, Skrillex, 12th Planet, Datsik, Nero, Kill the Noise, Basnector, Excision, Flux, Porter Robinson, Seven Lions......

I use logic and Ive been struggling to make some dubstep tracks. I got Massive to which i guess is the go to synth for most these guys. Any tips from anyone who has transitions from hiphop to dubstep. I can get the drums down but varying the baselines is where i'm getting stuck. The BPM is similar to the trap type shit. I'm also a rapper and the tempo is perfect for double time rhyming.
13th May 2012
Old 13th May 2012
Gear addict

I've never tried it ,but was told by a guy who does management to try and start incorporating it into some of my instrumentals. Then low and behold i heard DJ Pauls' new mixtape and he has a producer name J Green who has done this on a few of the tracks up there. It sounds good to me a nice mash up.

DJ Paul - For I Have Sinned - DJ Scream, DJ Black
14th May 2012
Old 14th May 2012
Gear Head

14th May 2012
Old 14th May 2012
Banned

No. And don't ever ask me that again.
I dont consider House as EDM, but the rest of the world might. If they do then yes. And don't ever ask me that again. LOL
14th May 2012
Old 14th May 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrides View Post
No. And don't ever ask me that again.
I dont consider House as EDM, but the rest of the world might. If they do then yes. And don't ever ask me that again. LOL
Why don't you consider house as EDM?
14th May 2012
Old 14th May 2012
Lives for gear

In the UK at least most, people who make Dubstep will have dabbled in related genres like Dub, Drum & Bass and even Grime. These things are heavily influenced by both Hiphop and Reggae. So the switch should be quite natural. Just study your favourite artists religiously and they are a couple of good tutorials on dubstep forums.
14th May 2012
Old 14th May 2012
Gear addict

After you make your wobble loop if you think it sounds lame try manually chopping it up and re arranging it...triplets are key...
KT1
14th May 2012
Old 14th May 2012
KT1
Lives for gear

Yes - I have been making EDM for longer than Hip hop. Influenced by early Jungle/drum and bass - garage and later dubstep.

What is it you are struggling with? The type of music you appear to like is part ok ..part well don't get me started.

I read your whole started and didnt get once what it is you are trying to learn? Sounds like the synthesis is bugging you?
grimethamc
14th May 2012
Old 14th May 2012
Gear maniac

yes. I can get a decent bass going with a nice wobble. its coming up with variations of the same base that im struggling with. What do I change up other than the cut off rate to make the synth sound interesting but not totally different. Also my rifs are a little dull, basically just a C note over and over again

Sent from my DROIDX using Gearslutz App
14th May 2012
Old 14th May 2012
Gear addict

Try changing notes or octaves when you change the rate of your cutoff and re sample your first pass and mangle it further manually.

Also try designing two patches and have them do a call and response.
KT1
14th May 2012
Old 14th May 2012
KT1
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimethamc View Post
yes. I can get a decent bass going with a nice wobble. its coming up with variations of the same base that im struggling with. What do I change up other than the cut off rate to make the synth sound interesting but not totally different. Also my rifs are a little dull, basically just a C note over and over again

Sent from my DROIDX using Gearslutz App
It is in the bass patch this happens acutally. You can take a number of approaches. Some people like to make several bass patches with different waveforms then use the same midi track to trigger them randomly note by note for that crazy variying sound.

Alternatively you can use massive (which i think you mentioned) when designing your patch. Make a macro for example for the LFO rate(obvious boring wobble sound on the low pass filter). Add some phasing (perhaps a dampen, then go crazy. As massive i a wavetable synth..which means that as you move the wavetable position thee sound of the wave form will change. Automate this. Hell automate everything even voices. Effect like bitcrushing and overdrives.

You can then either record realtime modulations while the loop is playing and resample or you can draw in the automation.

Does this answer your question?
KT1
14th May 2012
Old 14th May 2012
KT1
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderdan View Post
Try changing notes or octaves when you change the rate of your cutoff and re sample your first pass and mangle it further manually.

Also try designing two patches and have them do a call and response.
Sure, but let's be honest - You need a decent bass patch (s) to start with. Having a simple LFO on the low pass is only gonna give you a normal wobble. The options to modulate through the midi program will be dependent on what paramaters can be modulated from the offset.
14th May 2012
Old 14th May 2012
Gear addict

New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search