New Reply
Subscribe
suchenderxxx
5th May 2012
Old 5th May 2012
Lives for gear

Roland s 750 or an Akai S1100

hello members,

i am looking to buy an Sampler, im not sure which one to pick. Roland s 750 or an Akai s 1100, the Roland has 10mb ram, the akai 18mb. I think the price will be in the same range.

How can i connect the Roland to an Monitor, which is the cheapest way? I found an thread here in gs, where BLUEGREENGOLD posted that there is an cheap s-video to usb converter. But as i read the specs from the Roland there is only an RGB and an Monochrome output. So is there a way to hook it up to my PC Monitor or an small LCD screen?

And is there any adapter or an other way to connect a mouse to the Sampler?

Thanks Tarkan
5th May 2012
Old 5th May 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

monochrome output connects directly to any tv or lcd that has an rca video input. alternatively, a basic video card with s-video in via rca will let you see the monochrome display on your computer in it's own window if you use a free program like avs tv box

since the mouse is a proprietary format and not compatible with anything other than roland mice the only options are waiting for one to turn up on ebay although they go for close to $100. or build your own converter with these schematics. same thing for the color output. without a rare compatible old school monitor you'd have to build a converter
suchenderxxx
5th May 2012
Old 5th May 2012
Lives for gear

5th May 2012
Old 5th May 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

yes
5th May 2012
Old 5th May 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

actually just read the review on that avs program and someone says it has malware

a guaranteed safe program would be virtualdub. just select capture avi in the file menu

or try wm9cap
szf
6th May 2012
Old 6th May 2012
szf
Lives for gear

Send a message via Skype™ to szf
1100 goes to 32MB RAM ... also has in effect 11 outputs if that matters to you.
If you want one of the best drum samplers ... 1100.
The roland samplers I heard seem to have a warmer low end.. but not as punchy.. and I think the midi response is not as good.. so maybe not a good idea for triggering individual drum samples.
If you have the cash buy both, keep the one you prefer.

Roland S770
http://soundcloud.com/fromafarawayplace/ol-dirty-s770-44-1

Akai S1100
http://soundcloud.com/fromafarawayplace/ol-dirty-1100-hot-12
6th May 2012
Old 6th May 2012
Banned

Roland S is a pain to program w/o the mouse. Do not buy w/o it.
You will love how it sounds. I use the S-770 for bass along with one of my emax 1 se hd's. Yum
suchenderxxx
6th May 2012
Old 6th May 2012
Lives for gear

i didnt got the s 750. But i have an offer for an S 760 what do you guys think about this sampler. Is it worth to wait for an S 750 or 770 or is the 760 practically the same? Which one would you pick? I could also get an Akai s 1100. But i want an Sampler which offers good synthesis. So is the Akai an option? I only own an Ensoniq EPS and i dont have experience with this samplers.
6th May 2012
Old 6th May 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

750/770 has a bit nicer sound than 760 and more bass but they are still similar

the roland s7XX have amazing filters if you are looking for that. they always come up in the electronic forum as people's favourite. i actually bought a 750 after reading all of the rave reviews online and can say they are sure nice and creamy and analogish

i would get a roland and akai and use the akai for drums/synthesis and the roland for the filters/bass sounds and the legendary library sounds if you want, in which case i would get the 760 since the 750 has only 18mb ram max and the ram upgrade is almost impossible to find. roland also can resample whatever it's playing, not sure if the akai can but i think the akai has internal effects. the akai is next on my list

for synthesis i wouldn't know since i'm more into straight sampling records etc but there is a thread in the electronics forum about using the eps for autechre synthesis
7th May 2012
Old 7th May 2012
Lives for gear

I'd take the Roland over the Akai due to better filters, sound and features , but I'd take an Emu E4xt over all
suchenderxxx
7th May 2012
Old 7th May 2012
Lives for gear

what is this crossmodulation thing? i read this in some of the roland s 7xx threads and i have no clue...

is it worth looking for an 750 instead of an 760. for better sound quality? do the 760 use standard ram?

tarkan
suchenderxxx
7th May 2012
Old 7th May 2012
Lives for gear

Another question that i have is how is the timestretching algorithm in these two machines?

I aks this cause i sometimes try to make a playable instrument from one sound that i got from an record. then i pitch it up semitone for semitone and map them on my sampler. Most of the time i do this in ableton live. But im not happy with the results... so is one of this machines better in timestretching with less artifacts then the other?

what about the roland vp 9000? is this machine better in timestretching and pitchshifting then the DAW´s?
7th May 2012
Old 7th May 2012
Banned

vp-9000 synthesis may be lacking since it focused on handling phreases very well.
suchenderxxx
7th May 2012
Old 7th May 2012
Lives for gear

i wonder if is the algorithm of the vp 9000 superior to algorithms in software programs or DAW´s. in term of pitchshifting and timestretching...

maybe i skip the samplers and buy an vp 9000 cause i really need a good machine for timestretching and pitchshifting. If i pitchshift something in ableton more then 4-5 semitones it sounds very bad... is there any alternative?
8th May 2012
Old 8th May 2012
Banned

No VP is not better than software. Il
Try Samplitude or Melodyne.
suchenderxxx
8th May 2012
Old 8th May 2012
Lives for gear

when i pitchshift something up an octave in melodyne it is unusable... maybe im doing something wrong? How do you pitchshift in melodyne?

thanks
8th May 2012
Old 8th May 2012
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by suchenderxxx View Post
when i pitchshift something up an octave in melodyne it is unusable... maybe im doing something wrong? How do you pitchshift in melodyne?

thanks
In all my years, I do not think I have ever pitched something up an Octave. (where I wasnt looking for a pronounced effect) Timestretch in general takes finesse. Going up an octave? Even more. I suggest you get familiar with the manual for melodyne and start experimenting with settings. I took a quick look and there seem to be youtube vids on the subject. Maybe even some info on GS via search. If all that fails, I would start a new topic about extreme timestretch, to see if others in your situation can guide you.
An octave, is out of my leaugue, as far as I can remember.
8th May 2012
Old 8th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrides View Post
In all my years, I do not think I have ever pitched something up an Octave. (where I wasnt looking for a pronounced effect) Timestretch in general takes finesse. Going up an octave? Even more. I suggest you get familiar with the manual for melodyne and start experimenting with settings. I took a quick look and there seem to be youtube vids on the subject. Maybe even some info on GS via search. If all that fails, I would start a new topic about extreme timestretch, to see if others in your situation can guide you.
An octave, is out of my leaugue, as far as I can remember.
The v-synth is an instument.You take a sound/sample and play it in all manner of ways and see what occurs.Quite often you get very useable synthesized sounds.In this regard 1 octave is not a lot.The v-synth is very musical.Dont know about melodyne but im not a big fan of doing this inside the comp.
8th May 2012
Old 8th May 2012
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goa-Dubs View Post
The v-synth is an instument.You take a sound/sample and play it in all manner of ways and see what occurs.Quite often you get very useable synthesized sounds.In this regard 1 octave is not a lot.The v-synth is very musical.Dont know about melodyne but im not a big fan of doing this inside the comp.
I never said it was not possible or it was unbelieveable... its just not something I have ever needed to work with, as far as I can remember. This is why I suggested that he solicit others, in his same situation. My work does not usually require me to go up an octave. I am sure he will get better feedback if he dedicates a topic to this subject. I can only comment on the Roland S series synth, as far as this thread goes.

I thought about suggesting the V-synth earlier but I have no experience with it.
suchenderxxx
8th May 2012
Old 8th May 2012
Lives for gear

why i want to pitchshift a sound up an octave?

Say i can catch a single note of an instrument from vinyl, then i want to make an instrument from this single note. I want to make this instrument in my eps, which has no timestretching or pitchshifting. the way i do things now is, that i pitchshift the sample up one semitone sample it to the eps, pitch it again up an semitone and sample the next note etc... so that i get 2-3 octaves where i can play this instrument. but the pitchshifted samples sound bad after 4-5 semitones...

I found the demo videos on youtube about the vp 9000 and the guy plays the samples across the whole keyboard without noticable artifacts.... is this possible with this machine? or is this a marketing thing from roland, if this is possible then this machine is what i need. cause no timestretching or pitchshifting algorithm in any software can do this.

If any1 from you own a VP 9000 so please tell me are there the same artifacts like in software or is this machine better in doing this?
8th May 2012
Old 8th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by suchenderxxx View Post
why i want to pitchshift a sound up an octave?

Say i can catch a single note of an instrument from vinyl, then i want to make an instrument from this single note. I want to make this instrument in my eps, which has no timestretching or pitchshifting. the way i do things now is, that i pitchshift the sample up one semitone sample it to the eps, pitch it again up an semitone and sample the next note etc... so that i get 2-3 octaves where i can play this instrument. but the pitchshifted samples sound bad after 4-5 semitones...

I found the demo videos on youtube about the vp 9000 and the guy plays the samples across the whole keyboard without noticable artifacts.... is this possible with this machine? or is this a marketing thing from roland, if this is possible then this machine is what i need. cause no timestretching or pitchshifting algorithm in any software can do this.

If any1 from you own a VP 9000 so please tell me are there the same artifacts like in software or is this machine better in doing this?
I have the v-synth xt and used to use the variOS.Its a freak box.They seemed to of nailed that feature and apart from the octatrack ive not seen it done so well.Ill try to do an example later.
9th May 2012
Old 9th May 2012
Lives for gear

Attached Files
File Type: mp3 v-synth pitching test.mp3 (3.61 MB, 99 views)
suchenderxxx
9th May 2012
Old 9th May 2012
Lives for gear

sounds good so far. would be interesting if you made this like, the original sample, then played the sample up the keys and then down the keys. without effects... so we could hear only the dry sample.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search