Do you Track out?
New Reply
Subscribe
Caine
29th April 2012
Old 29th April 2012
Gear nut

Do you Track out?

wanted to ask if you track out beats if someone asks, do you take a higehr price then if it's exclusive?

how about tracking out, people could sample your single samples, no prob?
29th April 2012
Old 29th April 2012
Lives for gear

I wouldn't. I wouldn't like the idea of somebody else having the multi-track. It's a little different if you've been hired to produce a song by a label or something, then that track has to go off for mixing and your job is done. But if these are just beats you've made and are selling, I wouldn't give away multi-tracks. You give those away, and there's really very little stopping somebody taking credit for your work.
Caine
29th April 2012
Old 29th April 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebailey92 View Post
I wouldn't. I wouldn't like the idea of somebody else having the multi-track. It's a little different if you've been hired to produce a song by a label or something, then that track has to go off for mixing and your job is done. But if these are just beats you've made and are selling, I wouldn't give away multi-tracks. You give those away, and there's really very little stopping somebody taking credit for your work.
yes thats my worry atm, someone didnt want my fully mixed beat and said he only buys tracked out beats wet and dry. but who guarantees that he is not using my samples etc. or rearranges my beat.
29th April 2012
Old 29th April 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

As someone who mixes tracks every day i can assure you that the finished product will be much better if your artist gets a tracked out beat.

You need to have a good relationship with your artists, and make sure to sign contracts when selling beats.
29th April 2012
Old 29th April 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremycox View Post
As someone who mixes tracks every day i can assure you that the finished product will be much better if your artist gets a tracked out beat.
This.
29th April 2012
Old 29th April 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skamm Goodiez View Post
This.
well thanks! ;-)
29th April 2012
Old 29th April 2012
Gear addict

No beef with 2 tracks... Only the shitty-sounding ones... And especially when the producer is actin' like he's Bob Powers... Stop procrastinatin' man and just gimme them stems already!!!
Music should always value the sound over the convenience. This trend of convenience and workflow over sound and quality is degenerating. It's a subjective argument but If you find that one sounds better than the other, that's the one you should be using.
29th April 2012
Old 29th April 2012
Lives for gear

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER.....Track-out unless its an exclusive track.
29th April 2012
Old 29th April 2012
Lives for gear

Track out up.
Two track down.

Know your place. Follow these rules. (But break em where appropriate)

I'm saying: if you are working with a legit artist that knows what they are doing- track out. You have the best chance of being happy with the quality this way.

If your working with a beginner. Give them the two track (wav please). You have the best chance of being happy with the quality this way.
30th April 2012
Old 30th April 2012
Banned

Wow.

Not sure who you guys are working with. I have always provided multitrack as part of the SERVICE I am providing.
If you are charging good money, you should give good service. I have only lost credits on these "major label" "legit artists" you guys seem to covet. Never once on a smaller project. Remebet 4080?

You cats have the game twisted.
Charge an amount that makes you less concerned about this loss of credit that if I had to guess, may have never happened to any of the posters above. (assuming you had your paperwork together and got paid a decent fee)

I always provide multitracks when, I'm not mixing the project. And I always track out on songs I sell, if I'm mixing or not. One price, even if it's an interlude... at this point in time.
30th April 2012
Old 30th April 2012
Lives for gear

Every beat I sell is tracked out 100% of the time. I don't rent, lease, or let people borrow borrow my beats though.
Caine
3rd May 2012
Old 3rd May 2012
Gear nut

thanks for replies, but arent you concerned that people will use you nice snares, kicks etc. maybe in future?

and how much you take for exclusive tracked out beats?
3rd May 2012
Old 3rd May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine View Post
thanks for replies, but arent you concerned that people will use you nice snares, kicks etc. maybe in future?

The thing is, people who are actually going to buy beats of of you are investing in themselves and probably don't make beats. When it goes to a mixing engineer, your beat is one of thousands they have mixed. Even if your snare does get stolen, it's really no big deal.

I don't know how many times I have heard a well known, big name person say, I got those snares from Tribe, I got that kick from Pete Rock. Those are not from the files, those are from the actual album. So it's likely to get stolen either way if it's that dope. I would be more concerned about having the drums solo'd at any part of the track because that exposes you to theft more often than anything else as more people will hear it. I don't care though, just like I sampled drums off of records for most my life.
3rd May 2012
Old 3rd May 2012
Banned

Quote:
Im confused. Are you selling music to other producers? Or are you making music for people who rap / sing? I would assume the latter, and if so. what the #$%@ are they going to do with your coveted snare sample? Seriously. They gonna buy a song from someone else and be like "No no...use THIS snare", and pull a special usb stick out of their pocket? Either way they bought that song... and all the pieces that go with it.

I could give a F#@$ if someone takes a snare from my multitrack. They are not as dope as me. (Clue: Thats why they paid me to make a track in the first place) On top of that if they jack, that just proves that they are not.

As a matter of fact they can jack it, and challenge me to a snare battle where I can only use their wack snares. I will son them with their own ish. We can copy snares to floppy disc and throw them sh$ts at each other like throwing stars, and I will probably win that too!

I mean serisouly Joe. You are worried about a snare sample? All the producers in the game providing mults before you came along. Premo, PR, Timbo, Kanye, Just Blaze etc.... and all of a sudden..your snare sample is so hot, that you have to break the trend.

C'mon dawg... (c) Phonte'

Quote:
As much as the market will pay me.
After the stable of mgrs duke it out... if I find that I have an agreement that pays me 3 billion dollars... I will take it.

On a serious note, here is a bit of advice though... charge whatever amount you feel is necessary to stop you from worrying about them d@mn snare samples LOL
Use the money to buy more records, or hire a session drummer... or, buy more sound design gear, or pay your internet bill or use it for whatever method you get these super snares.

If you are wack..and all you have to your name is one good snare then.... well you shouldn't be doing music anyway. The loss of that snare I guess could be the end of your career.
KT1
4th May 2012
Old 4th May 2012
KT1
Lives for gear

With upmost respect, If they are paying for it..Give it to them. I mean seriously? Why would anyone want to buy a beat if it isn't tracked?! This is nuts. Is the the most incredible earth shattering industry changing sound?! Can you never make a track as good as this ever again?! Is it protected? Im'm not sure what you're worried about. I'd be more concerned about giving someone 1 track to mix with - the results will not reflect the quality of your product..and thats what other hear.

Not sure the context to be fair or the relationship. This is my opinion.
4th May 2012
Old 4th May 2012
Lives for gear

Agreed, you're supposed to be a musician or beatmaker.. are you not talented? can you not do it all over? Just move on.. shit like this will weigh you down.

As for peeps using my snares or what have you... who cares, I'm not mad that everyone found out about NI MAssive for example. Just because someone cops your drums, it doesn't mean they are going to do anything major with them and lets be honest.... are they THAT amazing? There are plenty of people here that have copped a few one shots used on hits before... doesn't make them Primo or Timbo. If you stuck around here long enough and trawled the boards, you would find that most sounds are achievable if you really want them.

Rock it... move on.
4th May 2012
Old 4th May 2012
I'm gonna date your mom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KT1 View Post
With upmost respect, If they are paying for it..Give it to them. I mean seriously? Why would anyone want to buy a beat if it isn't tracked?! This is nuts. Is the the most incredible earth shattering industry changing sound?! Can you never make a track as good as this ever again?! Is it protected? Im'm not sure what you're worried about. I'd be more concerned about giving someone 1 track to mix with - the results will not reflect the quality of your product..and thats what other hear.

Not sure the context to be fair or the relationship. This is my opinion.
Don't pretend to be so outraged and surprised Just another newbie.
Caine
4th May 2012
Old 4th May 2012
Gear nut

yes thats why i ask mates , cause im new to this and you guys helped me a lot!

and "jrides" your post is really great, it made me laugh hard i even had to copy it cause you wrote it awesomely, no disrespect, thats my real opinion haha, you got me lol.

ok one other thing, do you use contracts too when you sell a beat?
5th May 2012
Old 5th May 2012
Lives for gear

Maybe my point was misinterpreted:

In my case I am not worried about theft, I'm concerned with quality.

All things equal, a tracked out beat will result in a better sounding song.

But some folks are BAD at mixing... Good emcees, well intentioned youngsters, or just folks better at that part of the game. I want them to get creative with their lyrics and delivery... I don't want them messing w my composition.

I've worked with some folks I really believed in. GAVE them beats because I like them and their style and depth. But giving them the ability to throw an FL stock compressor on my drum buss?!? That wouldn't be their fault- it would be mine... Because I KNOW better.

I wouldn't give my kid a sharp knife to chop meat with. I wouldn't serve a grown up steak that I cut for him. This is what I mean by "know your place."

Sometimes there is NOTHING positive about giving you beats to someone tracked out... Having nothing to do with theft, greed, time, or paranoia.
5th May 2012
Old 5th May 2012
I'm gonna date your mom.

David Ray, that makes a lot of sense. Good points!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search