VST sampler for Akai MPD
Old 26th April 2012
Gear interested

VST sampler for Akai MPD

Hi.I´ve been using GS for long time,but today i can´t find answer...so here is my first post
I bought Akai MPD 18,which works pretty well with battery 3,or kontakt 4.But battery is not able to slice beats automatically(or i don´t know how) ,and kontakt have just keyboard...not visible pads.
Does exist some handy vst sampler fitted for mpd´s ?
Thanks in advance for tips,and excuse my simple-bad english....reading is easier then writing
Old 26th April 2012
Lives for gear

I thought the mpd worked by the pad being assigned to a keyboard note? so pad 1 being c1 or whatever?
Old 26th April 2012
Jack of all Trades
I think your wanting the MPD to act more like Maschine, but it's not Maschine, its an MPD. It's entire job is to trigger sounds.

You can use a sampler, like the one in Logic, to chop up sounds place them on key values, and trigger them using the MPD, but that's all DAW stuff.
Old 26th April 2012
Geist by fxpansion
Old 26th April 2012
Gear addict

Maybe try poise. Don't know if it does loopslicing, though.
Old 26th April 2012
Gear nut

My favorite plugin to chop in is Slicex from Image-Line. http://affiliate.image-line.com/HDHJCDJ495 (fifth from the bottom of the "Extra Plugins" section)

I made an MPD Preset for Slicex (on my MPD26), I can toss it to you. Does automatic beat slicing or you can do your own chopping, offers articulation, filters, pitch, gain, pan etc. for all samples, also does midi dumping if you want to use the timing of the loop with your own sounds (or blend with your own sounds).
Old 26th April 2012
Gear maniac

Geistfrom FXpansion

RMV from linplug

Sampla from Sonivox does it as well but the workflow is pretty bad.

Poise from One Small Clue - great for playback of samples, drums and chop)

Old 26th April 2012
Gear interested

Thanks a lot !!!...that´s what i´m searching for.I´m going to try them,and hope these are not only for mac ))
Old 26th April 2012
www.KevWestBeats.com

I use Giest on pc it works well
Old 26th April 2012
Gear interested

...downloading right now
Old 26th April 2012
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Maddox View Post
Geistfrom FXpansion

RMV from linplug

Sampla from Sonivox does it as well but the workflow is pretty bad.

Poise from One Small Clue - great for playback of samples, drums and chop)

I guess you like to pirate stuff.
Old 26th April 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterism View Post
I guess you like to pirate stuff.
What the **** are you talking about?
Old 26th April 2012

One of your links connects to a pirate site - arrrrr
Old 26th April 2012
Hobbs_Won

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterism View Post
One of your links connects to a pirate site - arrrrr
he never said he used them.....I didn't see any links either
Old 26th April 2012
Will any of these address the EXS24's problem with not being able to make each individual sample/pad/key mono? Meaning, if you hit the pad, and then hit the same pad again, it starts the sample over and cuts off the previously sounding sample?

It seems there is no good way to do it in the EXS24 in Logic. You can put the whole sampler on mono, or put it on weird amounts of voices, but you can't individually decide which pads are mono and not. Which one of these guys will help with that?
Old 26th April 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
What the **** are you talking about?
I used Google Image to find a find a pic of the plugs. It's not like there's an actual link back to any site. It's just a pic for christ's sake.
Old 27th April 2012

Quote:
I used Google Image to find a find a pic of the plugs. It's not like there's an actual link back to any site. It's just a pic for christ's sake.
Sorry pinhead, but it does link to the site. Its not that difficult.
Old 27th April 2012
Lives for gear

Battery is probably ur best bet. It's automatically slices Rex loops. Don't think it slices just audio loops, at least it doesn't as easily as it does Rex loops. But, more than a few daw's have this capability, whether your slicing at the transient or in 1/8, 1/4 notes. Etc.

I haven't use the other samplers.
But I do know that battery is pretty much THE industry standard drum sampler for a reason. And it's not just marketing.
Old 27th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankmasterflex View Post
Will any of these address the EXS24's problem with not being able to make each individual sample/pad/key mono? Meaning, if you hit the pad, and then hit the same pad again, it starts the sample over and cuts off the previously sounding sample?

It seems there is no good way to do it in the EXS24 in Logic. You can put the whole sampler on mono, or put it on weird amounts of voices, but you can't individually decide which pads are mono and not. Which one of these guys will help with that?
In the edit window you can check the box that says "one shot" for the whole sample to play. Deselect for it to stop when you release the pad or key.

Also, at the top left of the exs 24 are the mono, poly buttons for the whole exs 24 patch.
Old 27th April 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnevz View Post
In the edit window you can check the box that says "one shot" for the whole sample to play. Deselect for it to stop when you release the pad or key.

Also, at the top left of the exs 24 are the mono, poly buttons for the whole exs 24 patch.

Yeah but I don't want one shot. If you have a 2 second sample, and you hit the pad twice, each 1 second apart, you end up with a second of overlap inbetween the samples.

If you uncheck it, then you have to hold down the pad the entire time you want the sample to sound.

I also think I made it pretty clear that the mono/poly buttons aren't the answer because that effects the entire set of samples. Meaning if you put it on mono, yeah, now you can hit the pad twice and the second time it will cut off the sound from the first hit, but now you can never hit two pads at the same time!!
Old 27th April 2012
Lives for gear

Not knocking anyones choice of beat slicer. But they are all relativley the same. Mostly very minor workflow issues.

The biggest difference is the graphics. Some sell the MPC look a like graphics better than others, while some use an entirely different layout.

In the end, they all map to 16 keyboard notes, so if your daw is not graphic illustrated in an "mpc" format dont worry, your missing a look but you have the same functionality as all others.

Sent from my MB860 using Gearslutz App
Old 27th April 2012
Lives for gear

Use your choke/link/cut off groups and adjust them to trigger as you like.

Sent from my MB860 using Gearslutz App
Old 27th April 2012
Lives for gear

I think it really matters how much you want to spend and how satisfied you are with your current DAW.

The cheapest route would be go with Poise ($49) and use Reaper (free if you're a cheapskate). You can auto-slice in Reaper and drag-n-drop the slices into Poise's drum pads.

You could also use some of the other VST drum samplers (Giest, Battery, etc.), but in my opinion unless you're completely dead set on using your current sequencer you might as well spend the extra $100 (Giest is around $200) and just get Ableton Live.

With Ableton you can easily auto-slice audio to a drum rack. The workflow in session view is easy and very, very MPC-like (pattern based sequencing). Plus you'll have 10x more flexibility since the drum rack is part of the program, not a plugin. You can also record and mix like a regular DAW, perform your beats live, or even DJ with it. The only downside is for most people there's a slight learning curve with the GUI.
Old 27th April 2012
Hobbs_Won

Battery 3 is still the champ IMO....Poise is a nice budget alternative though...

FL Studios FPC is really good and 112db's Morgana is a nice one too but has a lo-fi flavor and not a GUI w/ 16 pads but dope nonetheless..
Old 27th April 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
extra $100 (Giest is around $200) and just get Ableton Live.
In retrospect that really seems like the best option giving the power and flexibility you get with it. The fact that you get a full DAW and not '1 trick pony" has it's advantages. Great suggestion man.
Old 28th April 2012
Gear maniac

Shortcircuit. I use version 1, and even without a pad interface it's great.
I've used it with a trigger finger. I'd imagine it works fine with an mpd as well.
It's also free. Version 2 has a pad interface, but is unfinished, and might be buggy?
I just stuck with version 1 because of the good, and fast manual slicing.
Old 28th April 2012
Gear interested

Thanks again for all your replies.I know ,that i can use MPD with any sampler.I want 16 pads sampler just for "order" in workflow....and ableton is great software,but i´ve been using cubase for 10 years...so i´m a bit lazy to learn new daw...so therefore i want vst.For somebody ableton can be an ideal solution of course.Peace
Old 28th April 2012
Gear maniac

You didn't like the Groove Agent vst that came with Cubase?
Old 28th April 2012
Gear interested

imho....groove agent is very "user unfriendly",i think it´s not made for human ,but for robots ))))...just importing sounds or slicing beats make me angry ,incredibly difficult...
Now i´m trying Geist,it looks VERY usefull....
Old 28th April 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by longsleeper View Post
imho....groove agent is very "user unfriendly",i think it´s not made for human ,but for robots ))))...just importing sounds or slicing beats make me angry ,incredibly difficult...
Now i´m trying Geist,it looks VERY usefull....
groove agent works pretty much exactly like an MPC. if you're from that world, it makes perfect sense to use.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search