Google drive
New Reply
Subscribe
RonGherkins
24th April 2012
Old 24th April 2012
Lives for gear

Google drive

Figured this would be useful for people here. Google drive is out and you can get 5gigs of storage for free. I'm not giving up on dropbox anytime soon, but extra free cloud storage is extra free cloud storage.

Check out the gizmodo article

What Is Google Drive?

Definitely useful if you need to move projects around and are out of space/don't have dropbox.
24th April 2012
Old 24th April 2012
Gear nut

SICK! 5GB Free space and $2.50/month for 25gb!
25th April 2012
Old 25th April 2012
Lives for gear

Thanks for the info homie!
25th April 2012
Old 25th April 2012
Gear Head

Very sick! I think they've only released it on Android platform. Right?
25th April 2012
Old 25th April 2012
Lives for gear

Slow as all can be right now. Google has great integration but the flexibility of dropbox is missing in google when it comes to sending links to people who are not a part of your cloud. Dropbox I can work off a iphone, android, or blackberry.

Another slept on service is fileblaze. A free 25G box with built in audio & hi-def video players. Great for letting clients hear something with or without downloading.
25th April 2012
Old 25th April 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopularDemand View Post
Slow as all can be right now. Google has great integration but the flexibility of dropbox is missing in google when it comes to sending links to people who are not a part of your cloud. Dropbox I can work off a iphone, android, or blackberry.

Another slept on service is fileblaze. A free 25G box with built in audio & hi-def video players. Great for letting clients hear something with or without downloading.
I rep Gobbler.com so I gotta throw that out there. It's the only service out there for audio folks like us.
25th April 2012
Old 25th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasreinfeld View Post
I rep Gobbler.com so I gotta throw that out there. It's the only service out there for audio folks like us.
You know I signed up but never tried it. My apologies. Have only heard great things about Gobbler.
25th April 2012
Old 25th April 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
You know I signed up but never tried it. My apologies. Have only heard great things about Gobbler.
Right on. If you need help getting set up, hit me up at andrew at gobbler dot com & I'll be happy to get you up & running.

There are some people who signed up but never got started. Wondering how far you got... Did you download the app? And what held you back from opening up the app & giving it a try. Just wondering.

-Andrew
25th April 2012
Old 25th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Right on. If you need help getting set up, hit me up at andrew at gobbler dot com & I'll be happy to get you up & running.

There are some people who signed up but never got started. Wondering how far you got... Did you download the app? And what held you back from opening up the app & giving it a try. Just wondering.

-Andrew
I've been very comfortable with dropbox and I can access it anywhere whether it be a Mac or PC. I remember gobbler being mac only.
25th April 2012
Old 25th April 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
I've been very comfortable with dropbox and I can access it anywhere whether it be a Mac or PC. I remember gobbler being mac only.
Cool. When we come out with PC, hit me back with an update. I'd be interested to hear if there are things that you like more/less with Gobbler than Dropbox.

The entire product has been built from the ground up with feedback from audio pro's like you. So any and all constructive feedback that will make Gobbler better is always welcome.
25th April 2012
Old 25th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
If only they would hurry and bring Gobbler for Windows, I've been waiting but so far for Win users I think dropbox is the way and unbeatable. With GoogleDrive integration and pricing, I'll be giving it a try for sure and I'm sure #Google will enhance the system to be fast upload/download/Stream etc... Just a matter of time
25th April 2012
Old 25th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Cool. When we come out with PC, hit me back with an update. I'd be interested to hear if there are things that you like more/less with Gobbler than Dropbox.

The entire product has been built from the ground up with feedback from audio pro's like you. So any and all constructive feedback that will make Gobbler better is always welcome.
Ya we use dropbox. I will have to look into Gobbler. I have no complaints with dropbox though. I would be wary of Google. LOL they have to much info about us as it is. LOL
25th April 2012
Old 25th April 2012
Lives for gear

I used to work for this company so I have to make a disclaimer (it was awhile ago) but adrive.com has 50 gigs of storage for free. Not as nicely laid out as other sites but I still use it.
25th April 2012
Old 25th April 2012
Lives for gear

Thanks for the hook ups. Free space is always good bro.
25th April 2012
Old 25th April 2012
Lives for gear

Yep, free space is good!
25th April 2012
Old 25th April 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solar View Post
If only they would hurry and bring Gobbler for Windows, I've been waiting but so far for Win users I think dropbox is the way and unbeatable. With GoogleDrive integration and pricing, I'll be giving it a try for sure and I'm sure #Google will enhance the system to be fast upload/download/Stream etc... Just a matter of time
X2

Super pumped about Google Drive though. I am a bit weary of the massive amounts of data that Google collects but $5 a month for 100GB of online storage is tough to beat.
http://soundcloud.com/trakzilla/coast-to-coast-ft-kasirocswell
http://soundcloud.com/acestramental/reminisce-master1
25th April 2012
Old 25th April 2012
Gear addict

Send a message via AIM to stilts27 Send a message via Yahoo to stilts27
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonGherkins View Post
Figured this would be useful for people here. Google drive is out and you can get 5gigs of storage for free. I'm not giving up on dropbox anytime soon, but extra free cloud storage is extra free cloud storage.

Check out the gizmodo article

What Is Google Drive?

Definitely useful if you need to move projects around and are out of space/don't have dropbox.
Nice!
25th April 2012
Old 25th April 2012
Lives for gear

it's never free...
"all your data are belongs to us"
25th April 2012
Old 25th April 2012
Lives for gear

I personaly use Sugarsync and really enjoys it. What I like the most is knowing that each time I press save in Maschine or Cubase the files are updated in real time on the cloud. Plus it's really easy to share links with people I work with.

But Gobbler might be interesting, I'll prolly give it a try when it will be ready for windows.

http://oranesebushido.tumblr.com/

Ben The Glorious Bastard
25th April 2012
Old 25th April 2012
Lives for gear

here's an article on Gizmodo that could be of help:

How to Switch Over to Google Drive Without Ruining Your Life

Quote:
How to Switch Over to Google Drive Without Ruining Your Life
Like they've done in the past with new services, Google is slowly rolling out its new Google Drive cloud storage solution to users of Gmail and Google Documents. So if you're dismayed that the Google overlords haven't blessed your account with 5GB of free storage just yet—don't be. Now is the best time to prepare for the new service.
Organize, Clean, and Purge

If you're a heavy user of Google Documents, then Google Drive will be a fantastic addition to your toolkit. But now's the time to put things in order. Google's search capabilities make finding a given message or file a breeze. But once you start syncing Google Drive with your phone and computer, you're going to be quickly reminded of all those old documents as they start streaming onto your devices.

Various Google Documents can just get dumped into the root folder created on your computer when you sync. And if you happen to have hundreds and hundreds of docs saved over the years, that's going to become a big mess very quickly. So take a few minutes today and purge items you don't need. That itinerary for the corporate golfing retreat from three years ago? Probably not needed. Your Christmas shopping list from 2010? Time to let it go.

Remember, five gigabytes might sound like a lot, but once you start uploading eight megapixel photos from your smartphone, MP3s, videos, and all of the other digital media you like to keep on hand all the time, it's going to disappear very quickly.

Don't Get Sucked Into A Sync

Google Drive is meant to sync with your mobile devices as well. But you have the option of not automatically syncing every time you start your system or plug in a phone. It's an option worth using. Keeping your files continuously synced across devices requires a fair bit of uploading and downloading all the time, which can eat away at your monthly bandwidth limit.

Kick the Tires

If you're happy using another player in the cloud-based storage game—Apple's iCloud, Microsoft's Skydrive, Box, or Dropbox—don't ditch it. Google is arriving late to this field, and it's not clearly better than the alternatives.

Plenty of Gmail users already rely on Google Documents to share files. So making the transition to Google Drive will be fairly easy for those folks. But Google has a long way to go before Google Drive will be able to catch up to services like Dropbox—it's already integrated into countless apps, programs, and online services. For a contextual look at your options in the cloud storage field, see this handy chart comparing how the major services stack up.

But since Google Drive is free, give it a go. Its functionality and features might be limited at the launch, but Drive could prove to be a formidable alternative that might get you to switch completely.

Check Your Privacy Settings

Because, you know, it's Google.
25th April 2012
Old 25th April 2012
Gear addict

Send a message via Skype™ to Johntron512
I use Dropbox Team for business and personal use. It was about $650 for a year of 1TB with up to 5 users for access, but they recently bumped me up to 2TB at no cost.

I have all my computers setup to use Dropbox folders as the Desktop, My Documents, etc, as well. It's a great backup solution, especially if you sync system image backups to the cloud as well.

Google will have to ramp things up a little if they wanna get people to migrate.
RonGherkins
25th April 2012
Old 25th April 2012
Lives for gear

Dropbox is super overpriced ATM given these developments, and will respond I'm sure.
MediaMix
25th April 2012
Old 25th April 2012
MediaMix

IMO, $650 is not that big a deal if it simplifies the process for 5 users and gives you 2TB. It's tax deductible and you don't have to worry about what Google is doing with your info and files. Google's past actions don't breed trust.

Gobbler is a close second to dropbox but lack of PC access holds it back.
25th April 2012
Old 25th April 2012
Gear addict

Send a message via Skype™ to Johntron512
Another factor that people don't seem to mention is the utter reliability of Dropbox. It handles complex syncing like a champ, and I've never had an issue. Also, Team includes their Ratpack feature, which is basically unlimited versioning of your files. Excellent business solution.
4th May 2012
Old 4th May 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaMix View Post
IMO, $650 is not that big a deal if it simplifies the process for 5 users and gives you 2TB. It's tax deductible and you don't have to worry about what Google is doing with your info and files. Google's past actions don't breed trust.

Gobbler is a close second to dropbox but lack of PC access holds it back.

Gobbler for PC is right around the corner.
Gobbler On Windows First Sneak Preview -
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search