Where do I get Weeknd Synths?
New Reply
Subscribe
SickAngel
10th April 2012
Old 10th April 2012
Gear interested

Where do I get Weeknd Synths?

All those dark synths his producer Illangelo uses on House of Balloons, Thursday, Echoes of Silence? People say he programmed them but i DOUBT he was able to program ALL those sounds to make all those songs in a short amount of time he was given.

The only VST i have is Nexus 2 since i recently ditched hardware to go ITB. I am also getting Komplete soon, but i need MORE vsts in which have these sounds. I don't look into programming, since I am a musician, not a sound designer. Anything would be useful! Thank you!
10th April 2012
Old 10th April 2012
Gear interested

Don't know what your talkin about, but if you need free VST's check out www.kvr.com ? I think thats what it is... If not... Google it
10th April 2012
Old 10th April 2012
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

I think he is talking about the synths the Weeknd's producer, Illangelo uses. I am wondering too. Although people will tell you he programs every single sound.
10th April 2012
Old 10th April 2012
Lives for gear

You have Nexus 2 but you still want to know what synthesis illangelo uses? ..... what if I told you that he uses Nexus 2 exclusively? what then?

You ARE allowed to add delay, reverb, distortion, bit crushing, phasers, flangers, chorus, exciters, crushing compression etc

You are also free to automate the volume, panning and mute at your own leisure too.

It's how you use the tools.

Sent from my Nexus One using Gearslutz App
11th April 2012
Old 11th April 2012
Lives for gear

A combination of Komplete and Nexus should give you what your looking for as well as some creative automation and creative mixing techniques..

Stick with the minor scales..
Reverb is your best friend for width and spacial acoustics..

Drumwork and sound selection are also important..play around with tweaking your Kick and Snares by utilizing pitch, velocity, layering, a lot of their work is tedious, you need to dedicate time to your production, you can also tell they leave a lot of room for Abel to work with vocally that tops it off
11th April 2012
Old 11th April 2012
Gear addict

Send a message via AIM to kojo
Well it's synths so it could be from anywhere. Your best bet is to hit them up on twitter or Facebook and ask them. I'm sure guys bug them about it all the time so they may have a tumblr or instagram showing their gear...I love their work and in my opinion, it comes down more to how they play and mix. nexus and NI Komplete should definitely get you there especially since a bunch of the weeknd records use guitars and guitar rig is a part of Komplete.
11th April 2012
Old 11th April 2012
www.KevWestBeats.com

Send a message via AIM to KevWest Send a message via MSN to KevWest Send a message via Skype™ to KevWest
Guitar Center just had an Easter Weekend sale you probably could have gotten some good synths there
12th April 2012
Old 12th April 2012

just automate everything
12th April 2012
Old 12th April 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArk View Post
just automate everything
yeah I think automation is one of the keys to some of the sounds he gets.

whatever it is tho, I think the consensus is going to be, you can't just find a vst full of presets that have "weeknd sounds," nor is it something someone could just tell you, here is how you make "weeknd sounds."
12th April 2012
Old 12th April 2012
Gear addict

Decided to check out Illangelo's blog. ***correction - it does look like cubase is being used in the studio pics***
12th April 2012
Old 12th April 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by kojo View Post
Decided to check out Illangelo's blog. Based on some of his studio pics, it looks like he is using propellerheads Record split between ssl mixer view and the midi arrangement window on separate monitors on a Mac book pro with an access virus as the controller. Record/Reason can definitely get you that sound, especially if you play around with Thor, the combinator, and the various FX.
interesting, mind to post links?
12th April 2012
Old 12th April 2012
Gear addict

12th April 2012
Old 12th April 2012

12th April 2012
Old 12th April 2012
Gear Head

The nigga uses synths from Nexus & Massive.
12th April 2012
Old 12th April 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
it seems like its all cubase. i do not see any reason there lol
Looks like you're right! The mixer looks more like Cubase 5. My apologies fellas
12th April 2012
Old 12th April 2012
Gear addict

Send a message via AIM to idlabs
Turning on the distortion on a Nexus patch can take things to a whole nother planet. Try it.
12th April 2012
Old 12th April 2012
Lives for gear

The weeknd announced his tour yesterday. Definitely something I gotta go to
13th April 2012
Old 13th April 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRPS View Post
The weeknd announced his tour yesterday. Definitely something I gotta go to
shit sold out -_- BOTH new york shows are full. It don't matter to me since he performs more HOB stuff, which is not my favorite tape since the only song i'd ****ing LIVE by is The Knowing.
If he'd perform more Echoes Of Silence it would be a HELL of a show.
13th April 2012
Old 13th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
shit sold out -_- BOTH new york shows are full. It don't matter to me since he performs more HOB stuff, which is not my favorite tape since the only song i'd ****ing LIVE by is The Knowing.
If he'd perform more Echoes Of Silence it would be a HELL of a show.
I'm going to the show in Philly. Tickets were $39 (32+7 live nation fee). On stubhub they sold for around 85. Now one of the shows in NYC cost around the same BUT are going on stubhub for $185!!

It's gonna be a great show. The TLA is a real small venue which is always dope to see shows at. I saw Kendrick Lamar late last year there. Schoolboy q and ab-soul will be there earlier that week too
13th April 2012
Old 13th April 2012
Gear interested

Looks like a Virus TI sitting next to him in he picture mojo posted. Could be the studios and not his I guess. Have fun with that one Op, hope you got 2 G's to drop on one of those
13th April 2012
Old 13th April 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRPS View Post
I'm going to the show in Philly. Tickets were $39 (32+7 live nation fee). On stubhub they sold for around 85. Now one of the shows in NYC cost around the same BUT are going on stubhub for $185!!

It's gonna be a great show. The TLA is a real small venue which is always dope to see shows at. I saw Kendrick Lamar late last year there. Schoolboy q and ab-soul will be there earlier that week too
Im not surprised lol This dude can sing his ass off. He always does the same set though, every video I see him performing is What You Need, The Birds, House Of Ballons, High For This. I mean its cool What you need is HOT but i love his Echoes Of Silence. That really made me a weeknd fan.

Or when he did the KNOWING acapella, that was amazing. I will see this man one day, dude is dope, worth 185 a ticket? I dont think so, but in due time he will. Hopefully he stays focused and on track.

BTW we should really help the OP with his question lol I bet he is getting pissed lmaoo
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search